• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

What was the last film you watched?

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Bohemian Rhapsody. I do not recommend it, especially if you are a fan of Freddie Mercury of historical truth about real persons. What is more disturbing is that while they were showing Live Aid in July 1985 all I kept thinking was "oh my God, that is the summer of the Moldavian cliffhanger!"

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I watched the 1976 version of A Star is Born which starts as a really cool time capsule piece, but then just goes on and on and on. As is often the case with Barbra Streisand, there's a slight feeling that you're watching her write a love letter to herself, but that's still kind of interesting, and anyway is offset by Kris Kristofferson's craggy, sad-eyed soulfulness (which kind of reminded me of Nick Nolte's craggy sad-eyed soulfulness in Prince of Tides). But about two-thirds of the way through, I finally got Barbra'd out and had to give up.

So for light relief, I then watched The Hunt, a Danish film which stars yer man from the TV version of Hannibal, and deals with the effect on a small-town community when a kindergarten teacher is unjustly accused of child abuse. It's really gripping and, at times, very moving.

Last edited:

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Just watched ...

Girl On The Train - not a bad film but was kind of hoping it would have been better.

Yeah, I think I was expecting something more substantial. Had I known it was so popcorny going in, I might have enjoyed the ride a bit more. But as a mixture of Hitchcock (The Lady Vanishes, Vertigo) and one of those slick domestic thrillers from the early 90s (Sleeping with the Enemy, The Hand That Rocked the Cradle) with a vaguely proto-feminist spin, it was good dumb fun.

It could have been more, it could have been....a season.

Yes! They could have pretended it was The Affair!

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I watched the 1976 version of A Star is Born which starts as a really cool time capsule piece, but then just goes on and on and on.

A couple of weeks ago I watched the original Janet Gaynor version of A Star Is Born. The film is over 80 years old and feels very dated at times but is still an interesting watch. I think it's a lot better than the Barbra Streisand version and I probably prefer it to the Judy Garland version too.

The Judy Garland version follows the plot of the original quite closely, several scenes were almost identical and I even noticed some of the dialogue was very similar. I've not yet seen the Lady Gaga version but it will be interesting to see how it compares with the others.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Before the Fall (2016), a gay re-imagining of Pride and Prejudice. Byrum Geisler, the writer and director, decided to make the Bennett and Darcy characters gay men and also invert, quite cleverly, many of the situations of the original, though he committed one huge omission: he decided not to make it at all comedic. Despite the bizarre decision to eliminate humour (can I mention again that the main characters are gay, albeit one closeted), the way the spirit of the original love story of pride and preconceptions is adapted is quite brilliant, though the acting of some could use work--but the leads are good. And for once the character of Bingley is not a complete idiot, like he is in most of these film versions.

Last edited:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I watched the 1976 version of A Star is Born which starts as a really cool time capsule piece, but then just goes on and on and on. As is often the case with Barbra Streisand, there's a slight feeling that you're watching her write a love letter to herself, but that's still kind of interesting, and anyway is offset by Kris Kristofferson's craggy, sad-eyed soulfulness (which kind of reminded me of Nick Nolte's craggy sad-eyed soulfulness in Prince of Tides). But about two-thirds of the way through, I finally got Barbra'd out and had to give up.
Although I tend to defend Streisand to some degree, not all criticism of her over the years has been baseless --- and any woman who shamelessly demands Rosie and Ellen flip their sets so Barbra's "good side" will appear on camera must be someone whose divadom is partly about establishing territory absurdly, rather than creative perfectionism. And the way she lets Nolte give his climactic speech while his face is buried in her --- lap ---- in the height of passive-aggression as the director and co-star of the movie,

Funny about STAR IS BORN: it's not a very good movie -- I could tell that from seeing it in the theatre in the '70s; yet so many of the individual scenes are so weirdly memorable. It's a film that seems to be less than the sum of its parts.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Creed II. Absolutely brilliant.

Swami

I enjoyed it, but did not think it was as clever as the first, and with the story and the characters (Drago's fall from grace, his son working manual labor and being kinda bullied by him) I thought it could have been top notch.

Swami

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I enjoyed it, but did not think it was as clever as the first, and with the story and the characters (Drago's fall from grace, his son working manual labor and being kinda bullied by him) I thought it could have been top notch.

I thought there was plenty of good stuff between Drago and his son. The fight sequences were superb.

Swami

Justine

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Dumplin' and it was far better than expected (and I don't tend to like Jennifer Aniston outside of F.R.I.E.N.D.S).