• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

What went wrong with DYNASTY?

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Ta-daaa! We're in Hawaii!
upload_2018-7-30_22-51-5.png

(or Acapulco)

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
@Snarky's Ghost has your assessment of seasons 3-6 changed now that you watched them again after so many years?
Not really terribly much (and it hasn't been so many years since I've watched them, but a long time since I've done so in completion and never in a marathon capacity). Some of it seems a little more this way, and a little less that way -- mostly because of my resignation to what happened to the show and its direction.

I mention a little of it in your Season 3 thread:

http://www.soapchat.net/threads/another-look-at-season-three.4998/

colbyco

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Season 6 destroyed it for me. Pure fantasy with Krystle's double. The other drama was maybe not realistic but it wasn't pure fantasy either. I wish I could delete season 6 from my brain. It was embarrassing for the name Dynasty.

- For me it was the year the show was at its best ... it was pure fun, pure glamour, pure over the top (even the catfight was the most over the top), pure drama --- the aftermath could have been much better and the evil twin storyline much shorter but it was a great ride ---

I think Alexis was more interesting when she was being outsmarted, because then the question would be, "How does she get out of THIS jam?" Season 9 used this effect to the fullest with Sable: she came in with both barrels loaded and plenty of backup. She cornered Alexis way more times than any other antagonist in the past, which made Alexis all the more impressive during all the times she managed to outsmart (or simply out-luck) Sable.

- That´s so true .... she never really had a real counterpart beside Blake... only Adam & Ben gave her some real headaches, but that didn´t last long.

(...)

One wonders, as brilliant as Jacobs' KNOTS LANDING was (and turns out he produced the LACE miniseries of "Which one of you bitches is my mother??" fame), how much better DYNASTY would have been if he had run it. (They tried to get David Paulsen, by the way, as a mere writer-producer for Season 6, in the middle of the Moldavian massacre brouhaha, but he refused to do it without the creative carte blanche they eventually did give him for Season 9).

- I thought they asked him while re-tooling S7 ...?

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I thought they asked him while re-tooling S7 ...?
No, I don't think so; by then he was back on DALLAS.

When Bobby "died" and Katzman, Paulsen and Art Lewis went with him in 1985, Paulsen was offered writer status on DYNASTY's S6 but turned it down to do Season 7 of KNOTS LANDING where he could have more control over the plots (but ran into a political situation there as well).

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
- For me it was the year the show was at its best ... it was pure fun, pure glamour, pure over the top (even the catfight was the most over the top), pure drama

For me too. S6 ist still the most enjoyable for me up until today, those episodes are the most watched by me. And i'm not just talking 6B, i LOVE 6A -as it is - very much as well!
Love the attic and Rita-thing, the introduction of The Colbys, i even liked stupid Galen and prince Michael and Elena and the whole revolution plot.
S6 gave me exactly what i wanted from Dynasty and up until today, more than 30 years later, it's still my favorite and most watched season of ANY soap! :p
And the best thing is, today i can watch it anytime i want in brilliant HD quality on the big screen! :danc:

Last edited:

Ked

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
For me too. S6 ist still the most enjoyable for me up until today, those episodes are the most watched by me. And i'm not just talking 6B, i LOVE 6A -as it is - very much as well!
Love the attic and Rita-thing, the introduction of The Colbys, i even liked stupid Galen and prince Michael and Elena and the whole revolution plot.
S6 gave me exactly what i wanted from Dynasty and up until today, more than 30 years later, it's still my favorite and most watched season of ANY soap! :p
And the best thing is, today i can watch it anytime i want in brilliant HD quality on the big screen! :danc:

Plus, Season 6 had the best cast, even if it wasn't utilized in the proper way (The Colbys should have stayed on for maybe 10 episodes so we could get some early on-set Sable/Alexis barbs; plus we'd get much needed development for a Fallon/Amanda rivalry).

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
For me, that's certainly what Season 6 cries out to be: the peak of the entire series.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
For me, that's certainly what Season 6 cries out to be: the peak of the entire series.
I'm not saying it was the peak of the entire series, you understand. Just that Season 6 wanted to be. And could've been had they played their cards correctly.

Ked

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yep, the second I saw Holly Scorpio pretending to be Fallon, it was was all downhill from there for me...

Too bad you missed out on Holly actually turning into Fallon for Season 9:

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Too bad you missed out on Holly actually turning into Fallon for Season 9:

She was already a much better Fallon once she was back on Dynasty in season 8. Frankly, while she had two soul-sucking years on THE COLBYS and their terrible writing/directing for hausFrau Fallon when she first appeared, which probably earned her the nagative reputation among DYNASTY fans, in retrospect she was the best of the recasts. Cellini was a monstrosity, and Coleman never really hit any of the right notes. Once they had her severe ties with Jeff, she had some nice moments in season 8, which multiplied in season 9.

Ked

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
She was already a much better Fallon once she was back on Dynasty in season 8. Frankly, while she had two soul-sucking years on THE COLBYS and their terrible writing/directing for hausFrau Fallon when she first appeared, which probably earned her the nagative reputation among DYNASTY fans, in retrospect she was the best of the recasts. Cellini was a monstrosity, and Coleman never really hit any of the right notes. Once they had her severe ties with Jeff, she had some nice moments in season 8, which multiplied in season 9.

I wouldn't call Cellini a monstrosity, but yes, Samms was the best of all the recasts.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I wouldn't call Cellini a monstrosity, but yes, Samms was the best of all the recasts.
I dunno…. I liked Linda Evans as the first Krystle before the robot was brought in.