What went wrong with DYNASTY?

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Fallon and Blake fighting was great viewing, Blake after all had fought with all his other children, it showed that Fallon was rediscovering herself as a person and Blake couldn't handle it, the one person other than Krystle, who was out of the picture at this point, that Blake could count on was Fallon.

I think a lot of can agree on here that Alexis becoming queen of Colorado overnight was a rushed job.
Fallon and Blake fighting was a stroke of genius from Paulsen. Nobody had ever decided to really go for that storyline and it was fresh and exciting and kept you on edge and genuinely interested to see where it would go.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, I'm afraid Blake's idiotic incompetence in the board room was a symptom of writers who didn't know much about business either, which is why (as observed on THE COLBYS board) Dominique was a more wily personality on the spin-off than she was on DYNASTY itself.

If only Huson and Bast had worked on DYNASTY as well. Or if Spelling had hired Robert McCullough (as he did for HOLLYWOOD WIVES) to run DYNASTY after being shoved out of FALCON CREST.

But apparently nothing must usurp the Pollocks' authority.

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Fallon and Blake fighting was a stroke of genius from Paulsen. Nobody had ever decided to really go for that storyline and it was fresh and exciting and kept you on edge and genuinely interested to see where it would go.

Fallon and Blake did sort of clash in season 1, but back then they were completely different personalities compared to how they were 9 years later, Fallon still unquestionably idolised Blake and Blake was still a hardened man.

This was a realistic step for Fallon as let's face it by season 9, she had three marriages (twice to the same man) under her belt, had her heart broken a few times by unsavoury men, was raped, had two children, living with amnesia for 18 months under an assumed name, living away from her father in another state and hallucinating UFOs to top it all!

It's safe to say Fallon felt bolder in standing up to Blake after everything she'd been through over the years.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, I'm afraid Blake's idiotic incompetence in the board room was a symptom of writers who didn't know much about business either

That is the weakness I found with Dynasty. Blake was meant to be Dynasty's version of JR Ewing. It just didn't work. I partly blame this on casting John Forsythe as Blake Carrington. I liked John as an actor but his portrayal as some ruthless businessman didn't work like Larry Hagman's did. The writer's attempts at business dealings was also weak.

The marriage of business and family squabbles didn't blend as well in Dynasty as they did in Dallas. Once Joan Collins arrived as Alexis it more or less became the fashion/bitch slap festival.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The finale to Season 2 would, in retrospect, become something of the entire series' spiritual peak, the ride on horseback that Blake and Krystle would take up Scorpio Peak at Sky Crest with Blake left dangling on the precipice somehow metaphorical. It was a key cliffhanger in many more ways than one.
I've always been curious how Dynasty could have played out if the writers killed off Blake in this scene.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That is the weakness I found with Dynasty. Blake was meant to be Dynasty's version of JR Ewing. It just didn't work. I partly blame this on casting John Forsythe as Blake Carrington. I liked John as an actor but his portrayal as some ruthless businessman didn't work like Larry Hagman's did.
John Forsythe did played cold rather well. But how do you keep Krystle together permanently with such a mean-spirited putz?

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've always been curious how Dynasty could have played out if the writers killed off Blake in this scene.
Krystle's one day in the board room when Blake was in court was effective, I thought. Too bad we never saw her face off with Alexis in a professional capacity like that.

JF had just had heart surgery before DYNASTY. Maybe Esther intially thought he'd keel and then Krystle could take over the company...

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Krystle's one day in the board room when Blake was in court was effective, I thought.

I was never into Dynasty like I was with Dallas. Killing Blake off at the end of season 2 I believe would have been a stoke of genius. Naturally the company could have went to Fallon (such an underrated character) and the house and surrounding property went to Krystle with a share in the company as well. This would have created an interesting trifecta involving Krystle, Fallon and Alexis.

Alexis would have felt slighted since she believes she helped Blake in establishing and building his empire and is determined to gain her share so contests the Will. Having a woman (Fallon) in charge of the business would have given Dynasty a point of difference with Dallas. Krystle meanwhile is left trying to keep what little family there is with support from Steven.

Fallon should have been the central figure in all this. The constant push-pull effect from Krystle (nice lady) and Alexis (bad lady) with added pressures trying to make it in a man's world would have made for more interesting viewing than what was eventually dished up. Just a thought.

Ked

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I was never into Dynasty like I was with Dallas. Killing Blake off at the end of season 2 I believe would have been a stoke of genius. Naturally the company could have went to Fallon (such an underrated character) and the house and surrounding property went to Krystle with a share in the company as well. This would have created an interesting trifecta involving Krystle, Fallon and Alexis.

Alexis would have felt slighted since she believes she helped Blake in establishing and building his empire and is determined to gain her share so contests the Will. Having a woman (Fallon) in charge of the business would have given Dynasty a point of difference with Dallas. Krystle meanwhile is left trying to keep what little family there is with support from Steven.

Fallon should have been the central figure in all this. The constant push-pull effect from Krystle (nice lady) and Alexis (bad lady) with added pressures trying to make it in a man's world would have made for more interesting viewing than what was eventually dished up. Just a thought.

I'd like to see a show like that. :D

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Blake being killed off......

This has never been discussed before, but it kinda makes sense.

As this the reason why they brought in Mark Jennings perhaps? In case JF didn't return?

Fallon definitely has the chops to be a businesswoman, if TPTB had pushed Fallon in that direction, maybe even keep Cecil around, have a power vacuum in Denver with Fallon fighting with Alexis and Cecil would be great viewing .

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Blake being killed off......

Perhaps the writers of Dynasty 2.0 will be bold enough to try this scenario if the pilot proves successful. If it does get that approval I think Dynasty 2.0 should be unpredictable...don't allow main characters to be involved in near death cliffhangers only to survive multiple gun shots and be up and walking the following episode... while secondary or third characters die...if you get my drift.

have a power vacuum in Denver with Fallon fighting with Alexis and Cecil would be great viewing .

Creating a "power vacuum" can be used to great effect. This was perfectly executed in Dallas when Jock (Jim Davis) died. The fight for Ewing Oil created a brilliant story arc. It not only involved JR and Bobby but drew in the other characters as well.

If Dynasty 2.0 goes ahead I'd like to see Blake killed off at the end of the first season. Be brave. Let the audience know this isn't going to be a rehash of 80's soap.

Ked

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Perhaps the writers of Dynasty 2.0 will be bold enough to try this scenario if the pilot proves successful. If it does get that approval I think Dynasty 2.0 should be unpredictable...don't allow main characters to be involved in near death cliffhangers only to survive multiple gun shots and be up and walking the following episode... while secondary or third characters die...if you get my drift.

Creating a "power vacuum" can be used to great effect. This was perfectly executed in Dallas when Jock (Jim Davis) died. The fight for Ewing Oil created a brilliant story arc. It not only involved JR and Bobby but drew in the other characters as well.

If Dynasty 2.0 goes ahead I'd like to see Blake killed off at the end of the first season. Be brave. Let the audience know this isn't going to be a rehash of 80's soap.

If that does happen, I feel sorry for the actor playing Blake; having his run-time cut off so soon. :lol:

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If that does happen, I feel sorry for the actor playing Blake; having his run-time cut off so soon.

My reasoning for killing off Blake (end of season 1) is to make Dynasty 2.0 different to other programs and its own history. I'd hope the writers and producers will show some courage, take some major risks, it will need to if it wants to capture viewers attention. Instead of a court scene at the end of season 1 we're witness to Blake's funeral. I picture the service being held in one of Atlanta's grandest churches. The elite have turned out in their hundreds to pay their final respects to the man they loved, liked and loathed. The family are the last to arrive and take their respective seats. The entrance doors are closed, echoing throughout the church as they do. Those in attendance fall silent as the minister takes his position. Suddenly the church doors open which takes everyone by surprise. A woman dressed in black and wearing a veil is revealed. She makes her approach to the front of the church, whispers from the mourners follow her.

The mystery woman stops at the foot of the coffin. She kneels and performs the "Sign of the Cross." Fallon sinks into the pew, "That's my mother!"
Freeze Frame.
Cue end credits.​

Ked

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
My reasoning for killing off Blake (end of season 1) is to make Dynasty 2.0 different to other programs and its own history. I'd hope the writers and producers will show some courage, take some major risks, it will need to if it wants to capture viewers attention. Instead of a court scene at the end of season 1 we're witness to Blake's funeral. I picture the service being held in one of Atlanta's grandest churches. The elite have turned out in their hundreds to pay their final respects to the man they loved, liked and loathed. The family are the last to arrive and take their respective seats. The entrance doors are closed, echoing throughout the church as they do. Those in attendance fall silent as the minister takes his position. Suddenly the church doors open which takes everyone by surprise. A woman dressed in black and wearing a veil is revealed. She makes her approach to the front of the church, whispers from the mourners follow her.

The mystery woman stops at the foot of the coffin. She kneels and performs the "Sign of the Cross." Fallon sinks into the pew, "That's my mother!"
Freeze Frame.
Cue end credits.​

Ooh, sounds nice. :D

Zara

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Blake always said he would blast Alexis right out of town, but he never really did defeat her in a business way. His victories over her came from personal matters and fights.

Blake was often strapped for cash, and went all over the world to get it. He wasn't a business man who could stable his company for a long period of time, like Alexis could - she being a "rank amateur".

Blake was bipolar in business, to say the least.
How his fortune came to be is a bit of a mystery.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But they say, even L'Esther says, that these shows need a Big Daddy.

Who would take that role if Billionaire Bastard Blake indeed kicked off after the first season?

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Who would take that role if Billionaire Bastard Blake indeed kicked off after the first season?
I'm not sure but if the writers/producers present a bland formulaic Dynasty 2.0 I believe it will fail. For once I'd like to be shocked, surprised by a series that wishes to separate itself from those standard rules of seeing favourite characters in a life or death situation only to come out of it unscathed. Yawn.

Gatsbyesque

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Since John cannot physically be there, I had Blake towards the beginning of my continuation. So the show starts with a power vacuum chiefly involving Krystina, Adam, and Steven.

Gatsbyesque

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Krystle's one day in the board room when Blake was in court was effective, I thought. Too bad we never saw her face off with Alexis in a professional capacity like that.

JF had just had heart surgery before DYNASTY. Maybe Esther intially thought he'd keel and then Krystle could take over the company...

Interesting. Now, I'm wondering where John's surgery scar was when he was swimming in Season 2 and Alexis stopped by to compliment him and offer a shag...

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Interesting. Now, I'm wondering where John's surgery scar was when he was swimming in Season 2 and Alexis stopped by to compliment him and offer a shag...
You didn't really see the center of his chest all that directly, did you? And, of course, there's make-up.