What's My Line?

Caproni

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh, yes. In the '50s and early-'60s, people were still dressing to go to the market. After that, they went in their underwear -- not that there's anything wrong with that, because underwear is comfortable.

I remember my grandmother stressing to us the necessity not to go out of the house "half-naked" and to put "some decent clothes on". She was very formal that way.

Anyway, watching something like WHAT'S MY LINE? just makes me reminisce about a time I was never (and will never) be apart of. It's a cozy little piece of history, and of course, it's good to see the celebrities from the classier era of Hollywood pop in and out to try and befuddle the panelists that were often one step ahead of the game.

As Anita Ekberg said, the panel was "much too smart".​

Snarky Oracle

Telly Talk Oracle
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
I remember my grandmother stressing to us the necessity not to go out of the house "half-naked" and to put "some decent clothes on". She was very formal that way.

Anyway, watching something like WHAT'S MY LINE? just makes me reminisce about a time I was never (and will never) be apart of. It's a cozy little piece of history, and of course, it's good to see the celebrities from the classier era of Hollywood pop in and out to try and befuddle the panelists that were often one step ahead of the game.

As Anita Ekberg said, the panel was "much too smart".​

Yes, the Cold War vibe of the '50s/early-'60s was unique --- even the president at the time was called "Eyes an Hour."

Caproni

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Of course, that was the shift in the era overall.
Apparently that shift started taking place before the original CBS run had ended. In watching some of the final episodes around '66 or '67, I've noticed that John Daly references the panelists by their first name. "Mr. Cerf" has become "Bennett", and "Ms. Francis" has become "Arlene".​

Caproni

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards

When I first started WHAT'S MY LINE? I tried desperately to find an episode with Marilyn Monroe as the mystery guest. Apparently 20th Century-Fox didn't want her appearing on television. To the best of my knowledge, Fox had a stipulation in Monroe's contract forbidding her appearance on television. During her prime, she only appeared a handful of times on TV, most famously on a 1953 episode of THE JACK BENNY PROGRAM, and later on an episode of PERSON TO PERSON in 1955, which she did during her time in New York away from Fox.

Below I included a picture from Monroe's guest shot on Jack Benny's show. Interestingly, Jayne Mansfield (second-in-demand to Monroe) redid the same skit with Jack Benny in 1963.

1637766248548.png

I did find an episode of WHAT'S MY LINE? where a woman named Toni West, a Monroe lookalike, appeared. Columnist Dorothy Kilgallen asked her the first question: "Am I correct in assuming you are not Marilyn Monroe's understudy?"