What's The Last Album You bought?

Payton Cross

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Today two new ABBA (deluxe edition) cd's arrived. :)

upload_2020-7-2_21-13-46.png

Swami

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Greatest Ever Car Songs.
The Hits Album: The #1s Album.
The Hits Album: The 80s Pop Album.
Now That's What I Call Music 5.

Swami

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I tend to download most of my music now (for shame), but when I found out this existed, I couldn't resist sending off for it, if only cos it's fun to imagine how utterly appalled Joni Mitchell would be:

Last edited:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I tend to download most of my music now (for shame), but when I found out this existed, I couldn't resist sending off for it, if only cos it's fun to imagine how utterly appalled Joni Mitchell would be

Interesting. Her cover of River on The Fizz's Christmas album was very nice, I thought.

Looking forward to your verdict, James.

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Her cover of River on The Fizz's Christmas album was very nice, I thought.

Yes, it's lovely - but is it as good as Joni's version of 'Making Your Mind Up'?

Payton Cross

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I just bought the vinyl 7inch singles box set from ABBA, it contains a total of 40 singles including a collector's item from the 7inch single "Lay All Your Love On Me" which has never been released as a single only in the UK as a 12inch maxi single. It also contains a few Spanish singles, and a few Swedish versions of "Ring Ring" and "Waterloo". Happy with my purchase, fortunately I no longer have to buy them separately on record fairs. It also contains a freecode to download all the singles. ;)

upload_2020-8-1_13-55-42.png

Last edited:

cijimccashin

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I purchased this great piece of progressive alternative r&b Friday, been streaming it none stop ever since.

my Vinyl and regular cd are on the way from Amazon.

Attachments

• 782CF592-071D-4CA2-BE67-5FA352BACFF5.jpeg
    782CF592-071D-4CA2-BE67-5FA352BACFF5.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I tend to download most of my music now (for shame), but when I found out this existed, I couldn't resist sending off for it, if only cos it's fun to imagine how utterly appalled Joni Mitchell would be:

Looking forward to your verdict, James.

Oh, it's very nice. She sounds great, miles away from the bouncy, bubbly Bucks Fizz Cheryl one immediately thinks of. They're all pretty much faithful renditions, but fresh enough so you hear the familiar with new ears, so to speak. Only a few times, when her accent goes a bit North American - which is understandable; you don't necessarily want to sing about Laurel Canyon while sounding like you're from Bethnal Green - does she seem like a slightly pointless tribute act. But it's obviously a labour of love so you think good for her for doing what she wants to do.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I'm glad to hear it's a hit, James.

Only a few times, when her accent goes a bit North American - which is understandable; you don't necessarily want to sing about Laurel Canyon while sounding like you're from Bethnal Green - does she seem like a slightly pointless tribute act.

It would be fun to hear a Bethnal Green version of Laurel Canyon, though.

One of the strangest things about pop music is that no matter where the artist(s) hails from - even when the song isn't covering an American artist - it's the done thing to sing in a pseudo-American accent (and some overdo it).

It's so ingrained that I don't really think about it. Until I hear someone like Alison Moyet or Jarvis Cocker using their own accent and think how fresh it sounds.

Singing along with songs or doing karaoke, most non-Americans imitate the accent. I have tried singing along to country music using my own accent and it's really difficult because there's barely any kind of template.

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
One of the strangest things about pop music is that no matter where the artist(s) hails from - even when the song isn't covering an American artist - it's the done thing to sing in a pseudo-American accent (and some overdo it).

It's so ingrained that I don't really think about it.

I know what you mean. All my life, I never noticed Elton John was singing in a fake American accent until someone pointed it out a few years ago and suddenly I can't not hear it - this little bloke from Watford singing like he was born and raised in the Rockies or somewhere. Strangely, Rod Stewart completely gets away with it and he's from Highgate.

In fairness, there are practical reasons why so many do the American thing. Broadly speaking, the American accent is 'faster' than the English one - words like "better" or "can't" take that bit longer to say in a standard English accent than in a US one. They way pronounce their "t's" as "d's" just flows better (or quicker).

Singing along with songs or doing karaoke, most non-Americans imitate the accent. I have tried singing along to country music using my own accent and it's really difficult because there's barely any kind of template.

I have zero confidence in my singing voice, but I find it fractionally easier if I have an accent to hide behind. On the very rare occasions I've done karaoke, I've chosen songs where you can "do a voice" -- 'Teenage Kicks', 'Where Do You Go to, My Lovely', 'Uptown Top Ranking' ...

And will you download them?

Who me? Yeah, man! I download everything first, then listened to that.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
All my life, I never noticed Elton John was singing in a fake American accent until someone pointed it out a few years ago and suddenly I can't not hear it - this little bloke from Watford singing like he was born and raised in the Rockies or somewhere.

Elton seems to lean towards what I think of as a Southern accent sometimes, which is interesting.

Strangely, Rod Stewart completely gets away with it and he's from Highgate.

Yes. There's something about Rod's voice that's just kind of right. The huskiness helps, I think.

In fairness, there are practical reasons why so many do the American thing. Broadly speaking, the American accent is 'faster' than the English one - words like "better" or "can't" take that bit longer to say in a standard English accent than in a US one. They way pronounce their "t's" as "d's" just flows better (or quicker).

This is all true. Although the American accent takes more effort on the "R" sounds, which Brits tend not to emphasise much it at all. And it's when non-Americans over-stress the "R"s that it starts getting too much. Because Americans don't do it all the time.

I've been listening to lots of Shirley Bassey recently, and her "thing" is to retain the British non-Rhoticity. In fact she takes it to the other extreme, by doing the "Goldfingaaaaaaah" thing. Perhaps influenced by her natural Cardiff accent.

The Beatles were once asked why they spoke with English accents and sang with American ones. John Lennon replied that it sold better.

Ha. Well, it doesn't get any more practical than that.

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Beatles were once asked why they spoke with English accents and sang with American ones. John Lennon replied that it sold better.

The fact that the Beatles spoke with their own working-class accents was quite revolutionary (and, if anything, they played up the Scouseness.) Before them, entertainers in the UK spoke posh or, in the case of Cliff Richard and Hank Marvin of the Shadows, with the same kind of accent-free, class-free, mid-Atlantic vowel sounds that were then adopted by DJs and TV presenters.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They way pronounce their "t's" as "d's" just flows better (or quicker).
it's when non-Americans over-stress the "R"s that it starts getting too much.
That's true of actors as well. Australians tend to pronounce t like d, too, but there is a subtle difference with an actual d that's hard to describe. The way Marina Sirtis pronounced "Dayda" on Star Trek TNG sounded fake to me, for example. And, as you suggest, an over-stressed r is a dead giveaway.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
A good haul for me in recent days.

• A couple of weeks ago I completed my Bassey BGO set (with slipcase, of course)
  • And I've got myself yet another DSB compilation featuring songs I already own. But audiophiles say it sounds good. And it has a nice cover.
  • As of today, the official soundtrack to my current TV obsession is mine
  • AND a pre-order that I'd forgotten is officially released tomorrow has also landed on my doormat today

Sadly, I can't enjoy my newest arrivals just yet due to my strict 3 day quarantine rule for items coming into the house. But soon. Very soon.

Payton Cross

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A good haul for me in recent days.

• A couple of weeks ago I completed my Bassey BGO set (with slipcase, of course)
  • And I've got myself yet another DSB compilation featuring songs I already own. But audiophiles say it sounds good. And it has a nice cover.
  • As of today, the official soundtrack to my current TV obsession is mine
  • AND a pre-order that I'd forgotten is officially released tomorrow has also landed on my doormat today

Sadly, I can't enjoy my newest arrivals just yet due to my strict 3 day quarantine rule for items coming into the house. But soon. Very soon.

Wow that's very nice @Mel O'Drama that you now have completed the BGO collection of Shirley Bassey, must be a nice feeling to have everything so far complete.