Which actor had the best cry or weep technique on Dallas?

ramled99

Telly Talk Member
Reaction score
Let's get down the some true acting talent questions. Who was the best cryer on Dallas. Here's my top 3:

1. Ken Kercheval (epic!)
2. Barbara Bel Geddes (gifted)
3. Victoria Principal (she was a better cryer than talker as an actress, no question)

Honorable mention: Linda Grey and Susan Howard

Bobby was ok, but cried so rarely. And he couldn't cry or weep while talking or giving dialogue.

Worse acting cries were Titlon, Jim Davis and Deborah Shelton.

Last edited:

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I would say Ray was pretty good at man tears, especially when Bobby died.

Victoria was pretty good too.

Tilton & Shelton were pretty much bad at everything though, crying included.:bag:

Victoriafan3

Reaction score
Generally speaking i would say Susan, Linda and Steve. Victoria and Patrick were great when Pam and bobby separated for looking so sad but actual crying the first three I mentioned ;-(

Alexia

Telly Talk Fan
Reaction score
Linda Gray of course!! Those big eyes & those quivering lips!!:byee: Ken Kercheval was pretty good too!​

Last edited:

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
No contest, Linda Gray. If it's acting technique you're referring to, she nailed it better than anyone. She can cry on cue. I have to say I also think Barbara Bel Geddes deserves a mention here.

I found Victoria's wailing a bit much. (Except when Bobby was hit by the car)

Alexia

Telly Talk Fan
Reaction score
Charlene Tilton & Deborah Shelton were the worst! So whiny and unconvincing!!!!:eek:

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
Reaction score
Medals
In terms of acting, Victoria was the best at crying, whether it be the subtle tear down face, to the all out bawling. Loved her tears of joy when Bobby first brought Christopher to Southport, her tears of anger when Kane revealled that JR paid him to take her on a wild goose chase and her tears of pained sadness when Bobby died.

Honorable mention to Steve Kanaly who seemed able to cry at the drop of a hat because Ray always seemed to be as weak as water when it came to holding back the tears.

Snarky's Ghost

Telly Talk Oracle
Reaction score
Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
Medals
Patrick. His eyes could moisten to just the right degree when the moment arose.
ramled99 said:
3. Victoria Principal (she was a better cryer than talker as an actress, no question)
Only during the first four years. After 1982, she seemed to "wake up", and from that point onward there was nothing wrong with her as an actress at all.

Tullamore

Telly Talk Active Member
Reaction score
Wasn't tears but someone who could do anger in his face and grief was George Kennedy,especially when Tommy died. At one point his face went so red I thought one of Tommy's devices had gone off in his cheeks

pete lashmar

Reaction score
Wasn't tears but someone who could do anger in his face and grief was George Kennedy,especially when Tommy died. At one point his face went so red I thought one of Tommy's devices had gone off in his cheeks
I couldn't disagree with you more lol - every time Kennedy did the squinty eyed rage scenes it just showed him up in my opinion - I squirmed everytime he did those scenes and even now have to laugh very loudly when i see then. :a2:

Bobby and Cliff were both good at rage, as well, of course, as Sue Ellen and Pam.

Tullamore

Telly Talk Active Member
Reaction score
Cool no probs
That is what makes this forum so great;we all have different opinions and we all respect them and have good banter.

I am right though,lolololololol

pete lashmar

Reaction score
Cool no probs
That is what makes this forum so great;we all have different opinions and we all respect them and have good banter.

I am right though,lolololololol
Don't get me all squinty eyed now :argue:

I think Dallas has so much for to people discuss. Everyone has favourite characters and scenes, we all disagree on who was the best, what did and didn't work and then there's how we all differ on when we think Dallas should have ended.

But overall we all love Dallas - the good, the bad and the ugly (or as Sarah would say, The Good, The Bad and The Mandy Winger). :dance: