Which Season is Worse -- 7 or 8 or the Reunion?

Which Season of "Dynasty" waas the worst?

• Total voters

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
For me its a toss up between s7 and the reunion.

The first half of season 7 had potential because it still followed up storylines from season 6B, but s7B was appalling and a massive blot on the later years, which lead into season 8.

However the reunion is probably more problematic for me since the reunion came on the back of the renewed and refreshed season 9, the strongest season in years, and it was like they reset everyone's personalities back to pre season 6B.

Sammy Jo and Steven fighting again when by the time Steven left at the end of s8 the pair were practically a couple and were getting along much better than they had done in years by that point.

Sammy Jo who was one of the few, if not only character, that had actual character development and had grown and matured into a lovely young lady befitting of the Carrington name had reverts back to her bratty early 80s teenaged persona.

Fallon and Steven barely interacting! Seriously not one scene with them catching up! The Fallon we know would have been annoyed at Steven for not speaking to her or the rest of the family for all those years (I think its implied that Steven has actively stayed away from the Carrington's since he left Denver back in 1988) this would have been the perfect opportunity for Emma Samms and Al Corley to share a scene together too, bothe Dynasty actors from vastly different eras of the show.

Revisiting the long resolved Jeff/Fallon/Miles triangle, I mean seriously! This storyline wasn't even on DYNASTY it was a COLBY'S storyline which had been resolved half a decade earlier, the only Colby's I wanted to see was Sable since she was a regular in season 9 after all!

Steven being irrationally angry at Blake, Steven knew Blake had long accepted his sexuality and Steven having a boyfriend.

No mention of Claudia, Amanda, Dominique, the rest of the Colby clan, a throwaway mention of Dex which was vauge at best.

Things I did like was that Steven was finally in a happy gay relationship.

The Adam and Kirby storyline revisited.

Kirby finally getting her cat fight and showing that she was stronger than when we last saw her.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Was it Rita, or Linda Evans' stunt double?
upload_2018-10-1_20-54-19.png

The only thing I know for sure: this is NOT Linda Evans! She would never wear such a hideous outfit.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
And yet you became a fan. Astonishing. :D

Ked

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And yet you became a fan. Astonishing. :D

I was cruising through youtube looking for catfights that particular night. So from the Reunion, I went on to find all the other catfights Dynasty had to offer. I still remember how disappointed I was when I found out Dominique and Sable never had a catfight. :( :lol:

Ked

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Heh, I also remember the very first non-catfight scene of Dynasty I saw: it was the one where Sammy Jo told Fallon she was a bastard. I remember I clicked on the vid because it was titled "FALLON VS SAMMY JO", and naturally, I thought it was another catfight. I was greatly disappointed and annoyed that it wasn't so (not even a simple SLAP).

Though I do remember being under the impression that both girls were 14 years old - and yes, I totally missed the obvious detail that one of them was obviously pregnant. D'oh! :lol: But hey, considering how skinny and baby-faced they both were (plus they both had humongous baby-blue eyes), and how they both had very high-pitched voices, I think it was a pretty easy mistake to make. ^^ Besides, Sammy Jo may have said she was "a Carrington by marriage", but that wouldn't necessarily mean that she herself was married (even though she was, but that's not the point :lol:).

Jermaine

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Season 7 was the worst (mostly based on the second hand). Season 8 at least had a season arc, it was shorter and the show was a little more relaxed at that point. I haven’t actually seen the Reunion. I’ve only ever heard bad things about it so I’ve chosen to ignore it. Matthew Blaisdels hilariously scatching review above proves that I’ve made the right choice :D

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Frankly, it is hard deciding what is worst, 7B or the Reunion, because each is vomit-inducing in its own way. But 7B still feels like a very bad season of DYNASTY. The Reunion doesn't really feel like DYNASTY. After I saw it, I never planned to see it again. I could not believe they dared recast Adam with the guy who Sucks, or that they could not get the FiLoLi interior details right, or the way they ignored years of storyline. So while I agree that 7B was the bullet in the show's ratings coffin, I think the Reunion is the reason why we never got another mini-series with the original cast or even a prequel, and instead are subjected to the bizarre concoction that is peach Dynasty.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Frankly, it is hard deciding what is worst, 7B or the Reunion, because each is vomit-inducing in its own way. But 7B still feels like a very bad season of DYNASTY. The Reunion doesn't really feel like DYNASTY. After I saw it, I never planned to see it again. I could not believe they dared recast Adam with the guy who Sucks, or that they could not get the FiLoLi interior details right, or the way they ignored years of storyline. So while I agree that 7B was the bullet in the show's ratings coffin, I think the Reunion is the reason why we never got another mini-series with the original cast or even a prequel, and instead are subjected to the bizarre concoction that is peach Dynasty.
It's hilarious that The Reunion was the producers attempt at rebooting Dynasty for the 1990s. When it effectively killed it for nearly 30 years. So much was wrong with The Reunion. The script being the most glaringly obvious thing. Richard and Esther should have wrote it, and only asked for a little input or Pollack help, should they have to be involved. Letting them helm it was a diabolical decision. Not having the Carrington Mansion, or even a kind of similar set was also a terrible mistake. They could have faked the entire mansion by building one set that had 2 rooms and the staircase/foyer. The 2 rooms could have been basic square rooms, with the characteristic panelling that all the mansion rooms had. Painted beige and redressed over and over to look like different rooms. The Staircase could have been slightly smaller even, but that shape, and could even have stopped on the landing by the window as we didn't need to see more. Just paint the walls that seafoam green with the white woodwork. Done.
It probably cost more to hire that monstrous mansion they used than it would have cost to jerry-rig a set in studio.

I'll stop now, before the anxiety kills me.

Last edited:

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's hilarious that The Reunion was the producers attempt at rebooting Dynasty for the 1990s. When it effectively killed it for nearly 30 years. So much was wrong with The Reunion. The script being the most glaringly obvious thing. Richard and Esther should have wrote it, and only asked for a little input or Pollack help, should they have to be involved. Letting them helm it was a diabolical decision. Not having the Carrington Mansion, or even a kind of similar set was also a terrible mistake. They could have faked the entire mansion by building one set that had 2 rooms and the staircase/foyer. The 2 rooms could have been basic square rooms, with the characteristic panelling that all the mansion rooms had. Painted beige and redressed over and over to look like different rooms. The Staircase could have been slightly smaller even, but that shape, and could even have stopped on the landing by the window as we didn't need to see more. Just paint the walls that seafoam green with the white woodwork. Done.
It probably cost more to hire that monstrous mansion they used than it would have cost to jerry-rig a set in studio.

I'll stop now, before the anxiety kills me.

Yes there were plans for another miniseries, they knew they couldn't bring Dynasty back full time but they wanted a miniseries twice a year, apparently they had planned for the next miniseries to include Dominique and Amanda, and Blake was going to run for president (basically a do over of season 8 )

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The mansion in "The Reunion" is an abomination. I can imagine someone who knew nothing of the original series being assigned to scout locations walking through this nouveau riche debacle and thinking "it looks so expensive, very classy!"

Portions of "The Reunion" were flimed at Arden Villa, why not use the interior as well?

17238936_14_1496939086.jpg

Couldn't they have tweaked this a little to look like the staircase set from seasons 3 through 9?

17238936_22_1496949053.jpg

Wouldn't this have served better as the Carrington Living Room?

17238936_20_1496939088.jpg

The addition of a faux wood floor, an oriental rug, damask drapes and a grand piano and we have The Conservatory.

17238936_18_1496939077.jpg

A Billiards Room, perhaps?

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
THE REUNION was filmed in an L.A. beaux arts mansion -- not really tacky, but the foyer had purple wallpaper in 1991.

A Billiards Room, perhaps?
Dining room. I always envision the dining room being at the end of the house where the pool and lily pond are beyond that terrace..

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
THE REUNION was filmed in an L.A. beaux arts mansion -- not really tacky, but the foyer had purple wallpaper in 1991.
The house was just wrong. They could have found more appropriate interiors in L.A. The most important aspect of the interior was the staircase, it was iconic even in Dynasty. There were surely houses with similar staircases all over California.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards

The addition of a faux wood floor, an oriental rug, damask drapes and a grand piano and we have The Conservatory.
This is the room they actually based the Solarium on -- only they took out the central door, rendering it almost sol-less.... (See what I did there??)

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The second half of S7 is always the hardest for me to get through, so excruciatingly wrong-headed and boring.

This is the last moment of DYNASTY trying to use the Singapore plot to rekindle the Alexis/Blake/Krystle triangle that they buried early in season 4. In the very next episode, the Kristina storyline starts and Alexis is relegated to supporting character status, having nothing to do until season 8 starts. I don't know why I didn't make the connection in my mind before, but the reason I find 7B such utter torture is exactly that Alexis, whom Collins managed to make engrossing even through the worst of plots, is now seen less and less and mostly as filler, no more important than Dominique at that point.But I agree with @Ked that in 7A there is so much wasted potential in the stories they did have and did not care to actually explore. But "wasted potential" is what DYNASTY was about after season 3. And at least 7A had it (as did 8). I only saw quicksand in 7B.