Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Been thinking about this and that the cast of Dallas all had their moments when it came to letting out frustration and anger. Some were silent but deadly, others were explosive, but who did you enjoy watching best when they were angry?

I've listed some of the ones I think were the best to watch, but feel free to add your own.

JR - silent but deadly.

Sue Ellen - explosive

Pam - explosive

Michelle Stevens

'The Lovely Michelle'
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Carter McKay was the most fun to watch get angry.

Cliff Barnes would be a close second.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
All of them did anger pretty well -- although that clip of Lucy constitutes more of a psychiatric breakdown.

Frankly, anger isn't always the best barometer for acting talents; lots of non-actors seem to focus when they're supposed to be mean and angry (whether they're on camera or not).

A number of people say Bette Davis spent her entire career playing an endless series of electrifying bitches to obscure the fact that she couldn't really act.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
From the entire series run I'll dip my hat to Miss Ellie. When she displayed anger I (and those Ewing men) really felt it. It's what I expect from a matriarch. A kind ear, soothing advice. But when you stepped out of place the wrath of Miss Ellie was felt across the plain lands...and sometimes into the Ewing office.

Dallas at its best.​

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
My vote went to Pam, primarily for the outraged & angry speech, which is shown upthread where she threatens JR that's she going to make JR pay for sending her on a wild goose chase to the Carribean to find Mark Graison.

She's excellent in that scene. Victoria Principal is a terrific actress, far better than the bland Priscilla Presley. :)

lbf522

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Jock and Ellie each had their moments but as for the rest. JR was more Speak softly and carry a big stick type. Bobby was a hot head with a hair trigger temper which I did not respect or like. Ray was far worst.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
..... evennnnnntually, she was....

Let me put it another way.

She's a much better actress than Priscilla Presley.

She also had great chemistry with Barbara Bel Geddes & Linda Gray as well as Patrick Duffy.

And in real life the actor Jim Davis who played Jock was very fond of her as she resembled his dead daughter.

God Bless both of them. :(

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In the first three or four years, VP garbled her elocution as much as PP would later do. But VP improved shockingly during 1982.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Bobby was a hot head with a hair trigger temper which I did not respect or like.
My vote goes to Bobby. I don't say I liked it but he could go from calm to vicious just like that.

johnmmil10

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
From the entire series run I'll dip my hat to Miss Ellie. When she displayed anger I (and those Ewing men) really felt it. It's what I expect from a matriarch. A kind ear, soothing advice. But when you stepped out of place the wrath of Miss Ellie was felt across the plain lands...and sometimes into the Ewing office.

Dallas at its best.​

Couldn’t have said it better. I’d give Sue Ellen the second place award. She could play angry loud or quiet, but effective either way. Carter McKay gets third place since I always thought he was about to explode when he blew up!

Victoriafan3

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think from about when Rebecca died onwards, Pam did angry really well. She nailed it on her superb scene with Gerald Kane and the follow on scene from that with JR. Before that though, I agree Miss Ellie mad, made JR contemplate what he’d done

JRandSueEllenForever

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
I think Katherine Wentworth out did everyone in the anger department. Because she was inherently evil and a psychopath and hated everyone, she was always angry in varying degrees, mostly stark raving lunacy.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think Katherine Wentworth out did everyone in the anger department. Because she was inherently evil and a psychopath and hated everyone, she was always angry in varying degrees, mostly stark raving lunacy.
It's a real shame the writers decided to take the character of Katherine down that path. I personally believe she had a case of intelligent revenge rather than psychopathic tendencies towards all those around her. Let's see. Out of nowhere she learns she has a half-brother and sister. She goes from having father and mothers undying love and attention to suddenly sharing her mother with others. Father drops dead and Katherine finds herself becoming number 3 in the pecking order behind Cliff and Pam. To rub insult into the wound Katherines learns Rebecca has welcomed Cliff into the bosom that is Wentworth Tool & Die which he nearly bankrupts. Katherine thinks having her wicked way with JR is a means to an end. Katherine my dear. This is JR Ewing, do your homework.

Then a terrible plane crash resulting in the death of her mother. Any thought of having Bobby for herself is squashed when she blurts out to him her true feelings - when drunk. She gets bitch slapped by Bobby again when he announces he is going to marry that slut with a child from that awful Italian. Seriously? Poor Katherine couldn't catch a break. Instead of Katherine going nutty and aiming her car towards Bobby and Pam leading to the death of one of the most important characters - Pam's shoe - it should have been Jenna driving that vehicle.

Katherine should have left Dallas for a little while, regained her composure and began to map out her intelligent revenge scheme.

Last edited:

JRandSueEllenForever

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
It's a real shame the writers decided to take the character of Katherine down that path. I personally believe she had a case of intelligent revenge rather than psychopathic tendencies towards all those around her. Let's see. Out of nowhere she learns she has a half-brother and sister. She goes from having father and mothers undying love and attention to suddenly sharing her mother with others. Father drops dead and Katherine finds herself becoming number 3 in the pecking order behind Cliff and Pam. To rub insult into the wound Katherines learns Rebecca has welcomed Cliff into the bosom that is Wentworth Tool & Die which he nearly bankrupts. Katherine thinks having her wicked way with JR is a means to an end. Katherine my dear. This is JR Ewing, do your homework.

Then a terrible plane crash resulting in the death of her mother. Any thought of having Bobby for herself is squashed when she blurts out to him her true feelings - when drunk. She gets bitch slapped by Bobby again when he announces he is going to marry that slut with a child from that awful Italian. Seriously? Poor Katherine couldn't catch a break. Instead of Katherine going nutty and aiming her car towards Bobby and Pam leading to the death of one of the most important characters - Pam's shoe - it should have been Jenna driving that vehicle.

Katherine should have left Dallas for a little while, regained her composure and began to map out her intelligent revenge scheme.
Well said. I always figured Katherine went mad because her mother decided to favor her newfound bastards whom she had previously abandoned. Would drive me mad too.

Rebecca turned out to be quite a piece of work too. Her revenge against JR and the entire Ewing family for Cliff’s suicide attempt was epic hypocrisy. Had she forgotten her son embezzled millions from her company and she rightly fired him and then pretty much disowned him? She was probably pissed her idiotic son fell for JR’s trap. Then she buys a company, gives it to said idiotic son, so he will be as rich and powerful as the Ewings. Talk about enabling. I wonder who was more idiotic. With all her continued ranting and raving and seething hatred, after Pam and Miss Ellie tried reasoning with her many times, her plane crash couldn’t come soon enough.

Speaking of Jenna, once she morphed for the third time into Priscilla Presley, one episode of her was one too many. I remember my mother laughing every time Presley was on screen because she thought Presley was an awful actress. Jenna was always miserable, argumentative and combative (“I will not be a kept woman!”), and I couldn’t understand why a man like Bobby Ewing would have fallen for her in the first place, much less have such a long history with her.

I really can’t conclude who did angry the best.