Who would the Ewings and the Barnes vote for?

Presea

Telly Talk Addict
Reaction score
That's fine and I'll take your word for it since I didn't watch Knot's Landing. I just never started a 2nd series such as Dynasty, Flamingo Road, Falcon Crest or Knots because I thought to myself "Being committed to watch one TV show every week is enough"! Remember, I was used to TV shows you could watch when you felt like it and if you skipped a week or two it didn't matter. Shows like Dallas required a commitment.

BTW, what years was Flamingo Road on? That had Morgan Fairchild starring in it didn't it? That's the one prime time 80s soap I rarely if ever see anyone mention.

So, not having Knots Landing for further info on Gary, I based my idea of Gary voting Libertarian strictly on the info Dallas gave us on Gary. Since many years there is a Libertarian candidate to vote for but not necessarily a Green Party candidate to vote for since eThe Libertarian Party is bigger and more widespread, basically more established in general I chose them for Gary because that was a party Gary could vote for and never have his choice win, haha!
I've never seen Flamingo Road, but I do know that John Beck was in it. I don't for sure about Morgan Fairchild.

Presea

Telly Talk Addict
Reaction score
Jock Ewing - Donald Trump - but might obstain. Jock didn't care about the issues as much as power, but I can see him favoring Trump in terms of his position on women, Muslims and Mexicans.

Miss Ellie Ewing - Hillary Clinton - also keep in mind old southern money were Democrats and Donald Trump would also be too vulgar for her.

Clayton - he'd obstain - could vote for either of them.

J.R. Ewing - he'd obstain unless he knew Trump which is unlikely because Trump was a Democrat before he switched. JR could care less about these issues - he'd want influence. He'd usually give to both, though lean republican but since Trump wasn't an establishment republican he'd not support him, unless he could see an advantage for himself.

Sue Ellen Ewing - Donald Trump - shed reluctantly stick with her party. Though she might at least withdraw her support after the whole women grabbing thing.

Bobby Ewing - I think he'd abstain.

Gary Ewing - Jill Stein

Ray Krebbs - Donald Trump

Donna Krebbs - Hillary Clinton - I'm trying to recall. I want to say she was a Republican but a liberal one. She might have been one of the republicans to back Clinton.

Val Ewing - Jill Stein

Lucy - Clinton

Abby Ewing - Hillary Clinton - this one I'm more apt to say like JR would give to both sides, but in the end lean toward Hillary Clinton.

Digger Barnes - Non voter - never could sober up enough

Cliff Barnes - Hillary Clinton. I still think he'd stick by his party and vote Hillary.

Pamela Barnes Ewing - Hillary Clinton

Rebecca Barnes Wentworth - Donald Trump. I think she'd be more a Trump supporter as a loyal Republican but only if Herbert was where she'd have got her political connections, the only democrat I see her supporting was her son.

Katherine Wentworth - I doubt she'd bother to vote unless there was something in it for her, like Bobby was running, but I think she'd lean republican if her father did.
Yeah, I could totally see Katherine throwing away her vote on Senator Bobby back in season 4 (dvd) just because she liked him! Katherine could vote Republican for the reason you said and because she was a lot like JR, minus the Bobby obsession. But then I wonder if she might vote Democrat due to being a reporter? Are journalists usually more towards the left? But in the end, Bobby ruined everything for Katherine when it came to any kind of deeper character development.

stevew

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Reaction score
Medals
Yeah, I could totally see Katherine throwing away her vote on Senator Bobby back in season 4 (dvd) just because she liked him! Katherine could vote Republican for the reason you said and because she was a lot like JR, minus the Bobby obsession. But then I wonder if she might vote Democrat due to being a reporter? Are journalists usually more towards the left? But in the end, Bobby ruined everything for Katherine when it came to any kind of deeper character development.
I'd say many journalist lean to the left but a good number lean right. A good journalist should be nuteral. I just thing shed support what ever gave her influence, and often donate to both sides, unless Bobby was running. I also think she'd mean the way her father did. She seemed to think highly of him.

Mustard

Telly Talk Fan
Reaction score
Ah, I see. I actually know someone a lot like Digger and who didn't vote either, so that explanation actually makes a lot of sense. My mom told me that Knots Landing was a good show. And I heard that it didn't develop that weird comedy vibe that Dallas had in it's later seasons. I think that Gary was the smartest of the Ewing brothers. He knew that getting involved with Ewing Oil would be a nightmare and that JR would make it his mission to destroy him if he did. Gary was able to achieve independence from the Ewing family. (And he didn't want to live in his mama and daddy's house!) Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard he actually ended up with Val in the end. Is that true?
Yes, Gary and Val had a happy ending. They were actually more suited than ever before by the 1990s, as Gary now embraced responsibility, was a good father and could deal with his weaknesses and addictions much easier than before.

ramled99

Telly Talk Member
Reaction score
Virtually every single cast member would have been Republican. It would just be a matter of whether any were moderate or close to center. But none would be left of center. Even Miss Ellie. "Daughters of the Alamo" does not sound like anything but traditionalist Texan charity organization. All of their husbands would be staunt Republicans seeking to keep getting richer and richer.

Bobby maybe would have been a moderate, as shown by his handling of the gay guy that broke Lucy's heart.

Donna was a liberal (and Senator Dowling was a conservative).

In general, the Ewings showed no sense of social equality. They had no sense of ethnic or racial diversity. They lived and died by money and the excesses associated with money.
Pam was a social liberal, but at the end of the day, probably a moderate. All moderates are just indecisive and/or afraid to committ to a position. That's my opinion. And that's Pam to a "tee." Cliff was definitely a liberal. His entire character was a Robert Kennedy-esque.

JR was sexist, a homophobe and consumer by wealth, so I am going to go out on a limb and say he was a Republican.

Ray was what I would call "blue collar Republican"

Lucy was so flighty, its hard to tell. I'll just call her a-political.

Presea

Telly Talk Addict
Reaction score
Virtually every single cast member would have been Republican. It would just be a matter of whether any were moderate or close to center. But none would be left of center. Even Miss Ellie. "Daughters of the Alamo" does not sound like anything but traditionalist Texan charity organization. All of their husbands would be staunt Republicans seeking to keep getting richer and richer.

Bobby maybe would have been a moderate, as shown by his handling of the gay guy that broke Lucy's heart.

Donna was a liberal (and Senator Dowling was a conservative).

In general, the Ewings showed no sense of social equality. They had no sense of ethnic or racial diversity. They lived and died by money and the excesses associated with money.
Pam was a social liberal, but at the end of the day, probably a moderate. All moderates are just indecisive and/or afraid to committ to a position. That's my opinion. And that's Pam to a "tee." Cliff was definitely a liberal. His entire character was a Robert Kennedy-esque.

JR was sexist, a homophobe and consumer by wealth, so I am going to go out on a limb and say he was a Republican.

Ray was what I would call "blue collar Republican"

Lucy was so flighty, its hard to tell. I'll just call her a-political.
While I do believe that your opinion about moderates has merit and can be true in a lot of cases, moderates like myself who have more of a mix of different beliefs about things end up as Independents because they feel like they don't agree with enough of either parties' policies to truly identify themselves as either a Democrat or Republican.

But putting that aside, you made some good points about Dallas' politics. I have always believed that the Daughters of the Alamo just seemed more like a charity function that was put together just for the members to gossip in a sort of upper-class social circle more than anything else. They certainly didn't make them look like an organization that is truly sympathetic to the poor and underprivileged when Sue Ellen said in an early season with a pretty condescending tone of voice that they shouldn't make a theme they were using for a fundraiser sound "too depressing" (or something like that, haven't seen it in awhile). Cliff did start out as a liberal, but I think that he changed once he had his own oil company. He became obsessed with having the best oil company in Texas, didn't seem to care about what he used to fight for in the early seasons, and became quite sexist towards women in the later seasons. Donna and Senator Dowling (I always believed that stuffed elephant meant he was a Republican. lol) are interesting in a way. They seemed mature enough to not let their different political views affect their relationship. Sort of like how Ray and Donna made an agreement to "leave it at the back door" (or something like that) when it came to the Takapa argument in season 4. Sadly though, this seems like it is almost impossible for a lot of people to do nowadays.

Last edited:

ramled99

Telly Talk Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I overstated a few points, (along with my typos), since it was 3am in the morning when I wrote my post above. My overall point was that it wasn't a Trump/Hilary type dymanic for the Ewings and most of the cast of Dallas. It was a question of moderate, right wing, or far right wing politics in the case of most of the Dallas characters. Socially and fiscally speaking. Maybe some Liberatarian views.

I do agree that moderates/independants are not full Democrats or full Republicans. But I do think alot of moderates are just closeted Republicans; they just publicly call themselves versitile or undecided or moderate, or independant to avoid attack or to avoid being labelled something. But 9 times out of 10, when I speak openly and candidly with a "moderate", and they really being honest, they usually are just what I call "closeted Republicans." That's just my experience. I don't profess that to be the case universally.

Presea

Telly Talk Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps I overstated a few points, (along with my typos), since it was 3am in the morning when I wrote my post above. My overall point was that it wasn't a Trump/Hilary type dymanic for the Ewings and most of the cast of Dallas. It was a question of moderate, right wing, or far right wing politics in the case of most of the Dallas characters. Socially and fiscally speaking. Maybe some Liberatarian views.

I do agree that moderates/independants are not full Democrats or full Republicans. But I do think alot of moderates are just closeted Republicans; they just publicly call themselves versitile or undecided or moderate, or independant to avoid attack or to avoid being labelled something. But 9 times out of 10, when I speak openly and candidly with a "moderate", and they really being honest, they usually are just what I call "closeted Republicans." That's just my experience. I don't profess that to be the case universally.
Say hello to the one out of ten! Although I too, have seen the 9 out of 10 all too often. What is frustrating, is that even though I am more left-leaning, a lot of fully left Democrats still wouldn't consider that enough to please them, or even consider me as "bad". And as for what full Republicans think of people like me? Well, in their eyes, I am a liberal! Being a true moderate usually means that you can't please either side. But you seem to have an understanding of how all of this works, which is more than I can say for people I have actually met.