• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Why didn't DYNASTY copy DALLAS?

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When there was a perfect opportunity to create a rival soap for LB and Danny?

De bronafbeelding bekijken

Was it not possible to tell Seq. Dynasty from their point of view? To be honest, that's always been my very own argument, the lack of strong roots for the next generation Dynasty.
But when Seq. Dallas happened they could have said, to hell with strong roots, we're going to do it anyway.

We know John James would be in it - imagine, just imagine if they had managed to persuade Pamela Sue Martin to play Fallon again.
As with Dallas I don't feel the entire old cast (those who were still available) should be in it. Maybe Sammy Jo and Miles and of course guest appearances by Alexis.
Because Dallas still had JR and this is all about a shameless and opportunistic reaction to Dallas.

People would say, but this is nothing but a shameless and opportunistic reaction to Dallas! And I'd say, you better believe it. Now shut up and let me watch it.

Why did this not happen? Was everybody sleeping?

Tony

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When there was a perfect opportunity to create a rival soap for LB and Danny?

De bronafbeelding bekijken

Was it not possible to tell Seq. Dynasty from their point of view? To be honest, that's always been my very own argument, the lack of strong roots for the next generation Dynasty.
But when Seq. Dallas happened they could have said, to hell with strong roots, we're going to do it anyway.

We know John James would be in it - imagine, just imagine if they had managed to persuade Pamela Sue Martin to play Fallon again.
As with Dallas I don't feel the entire old cast (those who were still available) should be in it. Maybe Sammy Jo and Miles and of course guest appearances by Alexis.
Because Dallas still had JR and this is all about a shameless and opportunistic reaction to Dallas.

People would say, but this is nothing but a shameless and opportunistic reaction to Dallas! And I'd say, you better believe it. Now shut up and let me watch it.

Why did this not happen? Was everybody sleeping?

Tony

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I just don’t think the next generation of Dynasty is much of a pull for modern day viewers which is probably why a remake was done instead.

The original attraction was the Blake Krystle and Alexis Triangle.

Jeff proved he wasn’t a big enough draw to pull in viewers with The Colbys.

With an ageing Collins and Evans there doesn’t seem to be much interest in TNG - I doubt many people can even remember the kids names.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I just don’t think the next generation of Dynasty is much of a pull for modern day viewers
True, but the audience would "get" it if it was a shameless and obvious reaction to the (albeit underrated) success of sequel Dallas.
And LB Colby is a Carrington and a Colby. That makes him a very, very important soap person.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I doubt many people can even remember the kids names
I have to agree with Tony here Willie. The big drawcards for Dynasty was Blake, Krystle and Alexis. Babies are a great plot exercise however once those little devils came along Dynasty just didn't know what to do with them. Dallas also used John Ross and Christopher as good story arch's but unlike Dynasty which used the out of sight, out of mind approach Dallas continued to use the kids as a driving force to spin a good yarn.

I'm inclined to think the general population could easily name the children of JR/Sue Ellen and Bobby/Pam, not so Dynasty. I still believe Dynasty would be best suited as a prequel and Dallas as a continuation.

However, in the right hands anything is possible but the treatment of TNT Dallas and the reimagining of Dynasty over at The CW shows how out of touch those behind the scenes really are.