Flamingo Road Why didn't this show succeed?

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Reaction score
Medals
Mark Harmon and Morgan Fairchild also starred in the mini-series The Dream Merchants, based on the novel by Harold Robbins.

I wish I could say it was good, but I never bothered with Part II. The characters don't come to life, there's no strong sense of time and place, and the whole thing just plods along.
To be fair, it's not one of my favourite Harold Robbins novels. It's from 1949, maybe it should have been filmed in the 1950s.
On the other hand, you'll have two soap Morgans for the price of one.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Reaction score
Medals
Things got more interesting as the Michael Tyrone plot kicked in, so I didn't find the episodes to be a drag like I did with the first few in the season
It was interesting, but then you also have this established link and focal point who was (obviously) up to no good, and I thought it made things a little bit more predictable.
In season 1 they are still trying to figure out where they stand and what they have to gain or lose, and then there's Christie Kovacs, the great pilot movie, and the hurricane cliffhanger.

In season 2 I liked the addition of the Sanchez siblings the most: Eudora who didn't approve of Alicia, and Constance who used Julio but then he got a little obsessed with her. I would have liked to see more of that.
Also, there seemed to be more of an effort to move the action to the titular road with the bulk of the characters now living there and new establishing shots of the road being featured
I thought that Beverly Hills look underminded the cosy obscurity of the Flamingo Road. Kinda like if they had decided to give Martin Peyton lots of rich neighbours.

Caproni

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
Reaction score
Five years after starting it, I've finally reached the end of the Road. I'd jumped ship early on into the second season a few years back but decided to return to it after seeing that it was online again. Reflecting on my comments above, I can see that some of the issues that I had with the show when I left it, were corrected to an extent as season two progressed. Things got more interesting as the Michael Tyrone plot kicked in, so I didn't find the episodes to be a drag like I did with the first few in the season. The issue of the disjointedness and having characters that didn't really interact was also solved with the arrival of Tyrone as everyone in town became involved with him in one way or another. Also, there seemed to be more of an effort to move the action to the titular road with the bulk of the characters now living there and new establishing shots of the road being featured. I'm guessing had the show continued, Lute Mae would've somehow ended up living there given that her bar / bordello became kind of redundant as a location as the season wore on.

The much talked about introduction of voodoo was kind of fun. Like it was quite the u-turn away from where the show had been before but I think it worked. Who knows if they would have been able to keep the lid on the camp aspect of it all had it become a central theme of the show if it had continued but it was an interesting choice and who better than David Selby to pull it off.
I know a lot of people have an issue when the show went into its second season, which I've always found odd, considering that's when Flamingo Road finally stabilized itself as a soap opera with a continuing story. Personally, I am looking forward to that starting in the show, mainly because I'm not a fan of episodic storytelling on soaps, but I am naturally curious about how I'm going to like the story lines themselves. I've heard a lot about the voodoo plot, and it definitely seems to be one of those stories that some people can take or leave. It's a different slant, that's for sure, and I'm anxious to see how it all plays out for myself.

I enjoy everyone's insights though on this short-lived series.

WeldonBallou

Telly Talk Member
Reaction score
In season 2 I liked the addition of the Sanchez siblings the most: Eudora who didn't approve of Alicia, and Constance who used Julio but then he got a little obsessed with her. I would have liked to see more of that.
I loved the steamy hot chemistry between Constance and Julio. I was personally wowed by it. Much needed spice added to a somewhat disjointed second season....(hated that random rape episode of Lute Mae...that was just awful and shouldn't have even been made IMHO)

JeffUSA

Telly Talk Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it looks like the episodes have been pulled off YouTube again. Hopefully they'll reappear at some point. I watched the entire series when it originally aired in the 80s, and I was rewatching them on YouTube but I didn't get all the way through them.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Medals
Unfortunately, it looks like the episodes have been pulled off YouTube again. Hopefully they'll reappear at some point. I watched the entire series when it originally aired in the 80s, and I was rewatching them on YouTube but I didn't get all the way through them.
The channel that they were on must have had 1000+ hours of soap content uploaded, so I knew it was only a matter of time before something raised a red flag and it was pulled. Fingers crossed they show up again.