Why wasn’t Tony in season 3

Tony

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Has anyone else wondered why Tony doesn’t appear in season 3?

He’s introduced in the last third of season 2 (actually he’s played by a blonde haired actor when Fallon is skeet shooting earlier in the season), but after The Two Princes episode he doesn’t appear until the second episode of Season 4 with the infamous ‘Tony, put your shirt on will you’ line from Fallon.

So why wasn’t he in season 3? I can’t believe that the actor Paul Keenan wasn’t available.

There could of been storylines for him especially when there was more upstairs downstairs with the introduction of Kirby.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Has anyone else wondered why Tony doesn’t appear in season 3?

He’s introduced in the last third of season 2 (actually he’s played by a blonde haired actor when Fallon is skeet shooting earlier in the season), but after The Two Princes episode he doesn’t appear until the second episode of Season 4 with the infamous ‘Tony, put your shirt on will you’ line from Fallon.

So why wasn’t he in season 3? I can’t believe that the actor Paul Keenan wasn’t available.

There could of been storylines for him especially when there was more upstairs downstairs with the introduction of Kirby.

Could there have been contract negotiations in the interim? Just a guess on my part.

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They used up the entire servant budget, on the heavy makeup that was supposed to turn AL Corley into Jack Coleman

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They used up the entire servant budget, on the heavy makeup that was supposed to turn AL Corley into Jack Coleman

Probably more along the lines of what happened.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I find it difficult to believe that Keenan was trying very hard to up the salary ante by much. My guess is that they just didn't think to use him in Season 3 -- hard as it is for us to process that.

1601008246562.png

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I find it difficult to believe that Keenan was trying very hard to up the salary ante by much. My guess is that they just didn't think to use him in Season 3 -- hard as it is for us to process that.

View attachment 22983

Yes, that's my assumption too. I think with all the Adam going on in that season they probably just forgot him. I don't remember if they used the other servants much that season?

Tony

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I always thought that Tony and Kirby would have made a cute downstairs couple

Tony is the one who cuts off Kirby's wedding ring mid Season 4.

Still, I find it odd about Tony's absence in Season 3 - especially when the powers that be (i.e. Doug Cramer) make an effort to introduce eye candy with Alexis' chauffeurs, secretaries and La Mirage bell boys.

GillesDenver

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They did not know what to do with a gardener after season 2. Remember that Tony got another job when he was re-introduced in season 4 (stable boy).

Artur

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The blonde guy, who was shooting with Fallon in season 2, might have been a different character. Like they tend to give the name Rose to every maid in soap operas, Tony might be a name reserved for all the handymen

Tony

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And Rock Hudson.

I don't think John Forsythe was discriminate but was a professional gentleman.

Besides Doug Cramer and Nolan Miller are/were gay, so that wouldn't have stopped Tony appearing in Season 3.

TJames03

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
He worked with plenty of them.
Yeah, but that doesn’t mean anything. He seemed to get along with Thomson, though. I heard that Jack Coleman was a bit homophobic and that’s why Steven’s sexuality was so whitewashed when he joined the show (allegedly).

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, but that doesn’t mean anything. He seemed to get along with Thomson, though. I heard that Jack Coleman was a bit homophobic and that’s why Steven’s sexuality was so whitewashed when he joined the show (allegedly).

I think Jack Coleman was just afraid of being typecast - it's very easy to look at these things with hindsight and think he was being silly, but there was no special pedigree in having portrayed a gay man back then especially with the AIDS crisis going on. Add that the writers had already flip-flopped with Steven's sexuality several times at that point so it wasn't like he was pushing towards an unambigiously gay character to go straight.