Why we should be thankful towards JF for holding B&K together

Zara

Telly Talk Fan
Reaction score
This is a big part of the long lasting memory with the fans. B&K:s videos on YT have the most watches and even own collages with a song. And the people who comment have loving memories and feelings about B&K (and the important part Alexis played in it).

If the TPTB got what they wanted, B&K would have been another J.R. and Sue Ellen, and who needs that? It is a unique relationship, and one of the things that will grant the show everlasting life, and new generations will follow and love the love story from season one, just to see if the love established early on will truly last. The two actors involved being perfect for the task and with a wonderful on screen chemistry "betwix" (Golden Girls and Blanche Deveroux:D) them.

So the forum's general view on this; a quick fix of drama when it was, would have ruined the long effect of the show and the sublime picture of a couple in the soap universe ready to work on things and see the value of each other, and the underlying meaning in a powerful and closed off man finding new life again in a good woman. When K is a t the airport and is on the go, away from Blake and his world, she says: Yes, back to where people are just what they are, not wearing a dozen faces.
This is a key in their romance, Blake had to become a "a one man"-person in order for it to work, and that was a struggle for him. Krystle didn't fit in and that was exactly why she was needed.

And a personal anecdote:

Several years ago, I was in school and for some reason the conversation turned to TV-shows, and the professor mentioned Dallas and Dynasty of the 80's, and suddenly three(!!) women said: Oh, Blake and Krystle!
I laughed on the inside and felt all warm.

I leave you in peace with these comments taken from YT:

"From Episode 2:Oil Part 2, Blake literally buys out the entire flower shop to apologize to Krystle. Of course these two were known as the love that never dies. They were the only primetime soap couple to stay together through the whole series and not cheat and divorce each other 100 times. They had their huge share of problems but in the end they always worked it out and never stopped loving each other!"

"I remember in an interview Alexis was introduced to cause trouble by having an affair with Blake. John Forsythe refused.He said Blake was a total jerk and control freak but his one redeeming trait was a genuine ,unbreakable love for Kyrstle and his children"

Last edited:

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Addict
Reaction score
I always agreed with John Forsythe on that point. Using adultry to create drama becomes lazy writing at times. If everyone on a show is cheating on their spouse, it doesn't mean anything and has no impact.
There are more creative ways to cause conflict in a relationship.

tommie

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
I always agreed with John Forsythe on that point. Using adultry to create drama becomes lazy writing at times. If everyone on a show is cheating on their spouse, it doesn't mean anything and has no impact.
There are more creative ways to cause conflict in a relationship.
I agree that adultery is often result of lazy writing, however this ended up causing people as Daniel or Lady Ashley not really being any sort of threat so the "no cheating" clause ended up backfiring because the writers clearly wanted to go there. I would've at least wanted A Love Remembered to have the side effect of Blake actually having sex with Alexis and Alexis being antagonistic towards Krystle about it especially as she lost the battle over the Carrington empire previously - Blake clearly loves her and boy was he enthuastic to show it.

James from London

Telly Talk Superstar
Reaction score
Medals
I liked 'em best when they were fighting. Except they didn't really fight, in a hammer and tongs sort of way; there was more of an icy coldness between them - that was always very interesting to watch.

Snarky's Ghost

Telly Talk Oracle
Reaction score
Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
Medals
In the mid-'80s, some pundit described Krystle and Blake as having "the sexual chemistry of a couple of gummi bears."

I agree that adultery is often result of lazy writing, however this ended up causing people as Daniel or Lady Ashley not really being any sort of threat so the "no cheating" clause ended up backfiring because the writers clearly wanted to go there. I would've at least wanted A Love Remembered to have the side effect of Blake actually having sex with Alexis and Alexis being antagonistic towards Krystle about it especially as she lost the battle over the Carrington empire previously - Blake clearly loves her and boy was he enthuastic to show it.
Even though John refused to do the affair storyline in Singapore, Alexis should still have tried to drive Krystle crazy with intimations that they'd done the extramarital deed all season, and Krystle not convinced it didn't happen. There's your drama right there.

Would Joan allow the writers to have Alexis claim pregnancy?

Last edited:

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Addict
Reaction score
So true, that what the writers came up with in response to JF's "no cheating" rule wasn't particularly creative.
Regarding the Singapore story, if Blake slept with Alexis while believing he was still married to her, that would have made an interesting conflict for Krystle because it would have tested how saintly and understanding even she could be. If they made it so that no one, including Blake and the audience,,except Alexis, knew for sure if they were intimate, that would have been an intriguing route to go as well.
As far as Alexis claiming she might be pregnant, I would have only liked that if she threw that in the overwhelmed and unhappy Krystle's face, only for Krystle to burst out laughing and say, "Thank you, Alexis. That's the laugh I needed after this whole dreadful situation!" I don't think Ms. Collins would go along with that. If she did she should have been given a special emmy for "Being a Good Sport in a Sudsy Drama."

By the way, I'm always hearing about how several actors on Dynasty made demands of their character and would put their foot down on plot suggestions. Did Linda Evans ever say no to something? It seems, and I could be wrong, that she just went in whatever direction the writing wind blew. Surely she had enough leverage to say, "Hell, no!" at times.

Last edited:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Reaction score
Medals
It is a unique relationship
Not 100% unique.

however this ended up causing people as Daniel or Lady Ashley not really being any sort of threat
But at that time I wasn't aware of any "no-cheating" clause. Threatening doesn't mean it has to happen. Heck, even most of the season finales spectacle had very little impact on the next season.

Snarky's Ghost

Telly Talk Oracle
Reaction score
Medals
I don't think Ms. Collins would go along with that
You'd have to trick her. Shortly before the end of the season. Write a scene in which she's ostensibly quoting somebody about being pregnant, and then use it as a wild line looped in later when she's talking to Blake just as Krystle enters the room.

Once it airs, Collins will be furious, but by then you're on hiatus. Then, in the first episode of the next season, Alexis insists she miscarried during the avalanche cliffhanger they cancelled. We never know for sure that it was a lie.

Did Linda Evans ever say no to something? It seems, I could be wrong, that she just went in whatever direction the writing wind went. Surely she had enough leverage to day, "Hell, no!" at times
Eileen "Mike" Pollock was quoted as saying to a reporter, "Do you think Krystle's boring? I think she's boring..." and added that "Linda is a lioness" about protecting the way she wants to play Krystle. And indeed Pollock was talking about Linda's desire not to have Blake & Krystle cheat on each other --- so, yeah, the Pollocks thought their lazy writing was self-obviously the thing to do.

This is why what happened to DYNASTY happened to DYNASTY:

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
Reaction score
I think John Forsythe was responsible for some demands that weakened his character and the character's ability to be in interesting plots. Let's not forget that he kept asking to soften his character all through the first season and early into the second, when Shapiro decided the Pollock's creation could be the villain of the show and Forsythe was given what he had been asking for. Thus the opportunity for a gray character (as Blake was in season 1) was over, and the one-dimensional caricature of the geriatric Romeo was born. Don't get me wrong: I am not saying a man Forsythe's age is automatically rendered sexless: instead, it is because sex with anyone other than Krystle was verbotten that Blake was neutered save for his Stepford wife. And Krystle's deterioration into a pre-menopausal Juliet was not unrelated to that decision, though certainly not the only factor. Direction (the much-mentioned S.A.D.) also led to that.

Yes, Blake and Krystle do stand out as the couple that never divorced--even their divorce was not enough to destroy their teflon marriage, since it was not acknowledged in the reunion. I won't deny how this does make them unique in Soapdom, so in that sense @Zara is right. But the excitement for the couple in the first three seasons came from the fact that credible threats existed: Matthew, the couple's significant differences, Blake's crude personality, Alexis, and of course the invalidation of the marriage. Once Kristina came on board, that was gone. Frankly, it would be just as original if Blake and Krystle had divorced and had truly stayed friends and co-parents, and would have given both of them more to do. It would be a chance to show the difference between the ex from Hell, Alexis, and the kinder ex in Krystle, thus going back to a core concept of the show.

And in the end, even the two of them together forever would have worked with a highly creative team of writers. Given that we got the one-armed DYNASTY team though, Forsythe tying their one arm behind their back ended up in "running out of story for the older characters" as both Shapiro and Forsythe lamented. And both of them (though of course not equally) were to blame.

thomaswak

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
Reaction score
Not 100% unique.

But at that time I wasn't aware of any "no-cheating" clause. Threatening doesn't mean it has to happen. Heck, even most of the season finales spectacle had very little impact on the next season.
Also, I think it was Michele Lee, like John Forsythe, who insisted that there had to be 1 loyal couple, not cheating (here in KL).
I agree with both of them.

Snarky's Ghost

Telly Talk Oracle
Reaction score
Medals
I also preferred Blake and Krystle fighting -- largely because it was more honest: a man like Blake isn't going to allow his marriage, even to a fundamentally decent woman like Krystle, to work or be peaceful for very long.

And when they're fighting, Blake can be his boorish self, and Krystle her forlorn self. Together and yet not really.

tommie

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
Also, I think it was Michele Lee, like John Forsythe, who insisted that there had to be 1 loyal couple, not cheating (here in KL).
I agree with both of them.
I think it worked on Knots Landing because it was set in a suburb. It felt quite realistic to have that one stable couple there that would always have a cup of better tasting coffee than Valene (the Jill murdering WHORE) on the table.

Krystle and Blake were a different dynamic. She could stay with him, but would she be okay with him doing business the way he did?

Zara

Telly Talk Fan
Reaction score
Sadly, I can't find B&K on any list or video of TV:s best couple. Are they so forgotten?
I feel lonely when I do my Dynasty outside of here. :p

Last edited:

colbyco

Telly Talk Active Member
Reaction score
I liked the fact that they became the stable couple. Like Linda said "everbody is sleeping with everybody, the only ideal would have been destroyed " and Forsythe said "the viewers doesn´t want to see Blake cheating on Krystle". He also said that he went to the writers for changes then Joan and Linda followed. I think it was Joan´s assistent Judy who said "Linda just wanted to change some words but Joan wanted to change whole passages of text ..."

But "A love remembered" should have given us a passionate night and Alexis pretending beeing pregnant ...

Zara

Telly Talk Fan
Reaction score
The relationship becomes more real and important every time I watch the show. The others are horrible. Jeff being with almost every woman in the mansion, Dex spreading his hunky dory man love around like tinsel (although him without a shirt is soul candy), and Adam, who has a way on forcing (not just physically) himself on everybody (Claudia called him "a force that takes the breath away"). Steven is the most normal man after Blake. He is honest about his relationships and feelings.

It daunts on me how easy and fast they forget their previous lovers and all the declaration of love. Blake and Krystle are a most welcome rock in that sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ked

Ked

Telly Talk Star
Reaction score
Medals
The relationship becomes more real and important every time I watch the show. The others are horrible. Jeff being with almost every woman in the mansion, Dex spreading his hunky dory man love around like tinsel (although him without a shirt is soul candy), and Adam, who has a way on forcing (not just physically) himself on everybody (Claudia called him "a force that takes the breath away"). Steven is the most normal man after Blake. He is honest about his relationships and feelings.
I didn't mind Dex or Adam being with a lot of women, that somehow seemed appropriate for their characters. Jeff, however, was supposed to be a "nice boy", and yet he was arguably the biggest whore on the whole show. Either he needed to be re-written to actually fit his designated status... or he could have been called out by the other characters, and his sex life could come back and bite him in some way... the latter sounds more interesting, tbh. :lol:

It daunts on me how easy and fast they forget their previous lovers and all the declaration of love. Blake and Krystle are a most welcome rock in that sense.
I'm reminded of Rodney Harrington from PEYTON PLACE. After months and months of pining for Allison MacKenzie and finally becoming a couple with her and having sex on his boat... he suddenly and seemingly became bored of her. Right after he makes a declaration of undying love to her, he immediately starts eyeing up Sandy Webber. Next thing you know, it's:

"Rodney, don't let me drift away. ...Marry me."

"Ah, Allison... you're kinda 'been there done that'..."

Zara

Telly Talk Fan
Reaction score
Haha, yes Jeff was a true c*ck rocker.

thomaswak

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
Reaction score

Jeff has slept with :
Fallon
Claudia
Sammy Jo
Leslie
Nikki
Kirby
Lady Ashley

Fallon has slept with :
Jeff
Cecil
Nick Toscani
Mark Jennings
Michael
Peter DeVilbis
Miles Colby
Zorelli
And... a football team

Yet, I still think that Jeff is the real whore.

Ked

Telly Talk Star
Reaction score
Medals
Jeff has slept with :
Fallon
Claudia
Sammy Jo
Leslie
Nikki
Kirby
Lady Ashley

Fallon has slept with :
Jeff
Cecil
Nick Toscani
Mark Jennings
Michael
Peter DeVilbis
Miles Colby
Zorelli
And... a football team

Yet, I still think that Jeff is the real whore.
Well, with Jeff, he was always treating each woman like she was the love of his life. And then he'd turn around and start treating them like crap. Not only that, but compare his married life:

-While married to Fallon, he slept with Claudia (and while she was giving birth, no less, but that was just an unhappy coincidence).
-While still married to Fallon, Jeff slept with Kirby.
-Right after divorcing Fallon, Jeff married Kirby.
-While married to Kirby, Jeff slept with Fallon.
-When he remarried Fallon, he slept with Leslie.
-Like with the incident with Kirby, right after divorcing Fallon for the second time, Jeff proposed to Sammy Jo.
-Right after proposing to Sammy Jo, Jeff sleeps with Fallon.

I mean...

thomaswak

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
Reaction score
Well, with Jeff, he was always treating each woman like she was the love of his life. And then he'd turn around and start treating them like crap. Not only that, but compare his married life:

-While married to Fallon, he slept with Claudia (and while she was giving birth, no less, but that was just an unhappy coincidence).
-While still married to Fallon, Jeff slept with Kirby.
-Right after divorcing Fallon, Jeff married Kirby.
-While married to Kirby, Jeff slept with Fallon.
-When he remarried Fallon, he slept with Leslie.
-Like with the incident with Kirby, right after divorcing Fallon for the second time, Jeff proposed to Sammy Jo.
-Right after proposing to Sammy Jo, Jeff sleeps with Fallon.

I mean...
I understand you. That's what I meant :
That whore! :D