Will you take the Covid-vaccine?

Emelee

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
Whenever it's out, will you take it?

The new vaccine will most likely be as hurried and as untested on a large scale that it will undoubtedly have some very horrible side-effect.

The swine flu vaccine caused many cases of narcolepsy, especially with kids. But it also caused some deaths. My colleague's little brother died after getting the vaccine. So while she's in a risk group, she will absolutely not take this vaccine in a hurry.

I am not sure if I will want it or not. Hurried vaccines feels like a gamble and I am never lucky.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Enthusiast
Reaction score
Medals
I will probably avoid it unless they make it compulsory - which they are actually talking about doing here.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
I know someone who absolutely believes the vaccine will be filled with artificial intelligence.

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
I know someone who absolutely believes the vaccine will be filled with artificial intelligence.
Well let's hope they are right. For their sake at least.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Medals
This person also believes that the British royal family are shape shifting reptilians - and that the Queen Mother was once seen to remove her face revealing a huge snout, after which she began sipping from a bucket of blood.

I kid ye not.

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
This person also believes that the British royal family are shape shifting reptilians - and that the Queen Mother was once seen to remove her face revealing a huge snout, after which she began sipping from a bucket of blood.

I kid ye not.
Seems legit though?

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Enthusiast
Reaction score
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
Medals

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Enthusiast
Reaction score
Medals
Before i take it, i will wait some time and inform myself about the side effects and risks, and then decide.

Last edited:

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
Reaction score
Just because something is hurried when the whole world is working on it and nothing else, it does not lead automatically to horrible side-effects. There is no basis for that conclusion--it is not even conjecture, but rather the kind of medieval superstition about medicine and science which survives through the centuries and which has held back many people in developed and developing countries alike. We might as well start jumping up and down that the earth is flat, blood transfusions and organ transplants will steal your soul away, and of course vaccines cause autism and what not.

There are some viruses for which we never developed a vaccine. We never developed a good one for SARS, because it was no longer a threat. The sustained threat of SARS-COV-2 has led to nations and big pharmaceutical companies consistently working on it and not losing interest. But some other viruses are too difficult to develop a vaccine for--look at HIV.

There will be more than one vaccines available, and they do not all act the same way. The RNA vaccine for instance will be one of its kind, so I understand if there is trepidation over that. Every vaccine when it first goes to human trials has to be studied on big population samples-because human DNA has a myriad combinations; the same thing that presents no side effect for 10,000 people may be dangerous for some different 3 people. Not all the vaccines now in research will be proven effective and safe. That is the nature of scientific research. My problem is that while there are governments I do trust when it comes to not cutting corners with people's safety, the US government is not one of them. And because there will be many vaccines around the world, which one you have access to will depend on geographical location.

Last edited:

Emelee

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
Just because something is hurried when the whole world is working on it and nothing else, it does not lead automatically to horrible side-effects. There is no basis for that conclusion--it is not even conjecture, but rather the kind of medieval superstition about medicine and science which survives through the centuries and which has held back many people in developed and developing countries alike. We might as well start jumping up and down that the earth is flat, blood transfusions and organ transplants will steal your soul away, and of course vaccines cause autism and what not.

There are some viruses for which we never developed a vaccine. We never developed a good one for SARS, because it was no longer a threat. The sustained threat of SARS-COV-2 has led to nations and big pharmaceutical companies consistently working on it and not losing interest. But some other viruses are too difficult to develop a vaccine for--look at HIV.

There will be more than one vaccines available, and they do not all act the same way. The RNA vaccine for instance will be one of its kind, so I understand if there is trepidation over that. Every vaccine when it first goes to human trials has to be studied on big population samples-because human DNA has a myriad combinations; the same thing that presents no side effect for 10,000 people may be dangerous for some different 3 people. Not all the vaccines now in research will be proven effective and safe. That is the nature of scientific research. My problem is that while there are governments I do trust when it comes to not cutting corners with people's safety, the US government is not one of them. And because there will be many vaccines around the world, which one you have access to will depend on geographical location.
Even non-hurried medications have proven to be slightly dangerous over the years and been pulled from the shelves. Hurried medication should be only given to those in risk groups who wants to take it.

When it comes so close as your own colleague's little brother, like in my case, I am a bit scared. I don't want to take the first vaccine that comes out. I don't feel like being a guinea pig.

I've also listened to a radio show where one of Sweden's most famous TV personalities (Sofia Wistam) talks about her daughter Sindy who has been suffering from narcolepsy for many years now because of the swine flu vaccine. The poor girl's life is pretty much ruined because of that "safe" vaccine. There is no cure for narcolepsy. 470 children got narcolepsy from that vaccine. 470! All because the vaccine had not been fully tested on children, only on adults.

So before I take any hurried vaccine that I may not even need, I want to know for sure if it's safe for children, for people with kidney failure (like I have), for people who take certain medications on daily basis etc etc. What if the vaccine is not compatible with my medication? If they test 10.000 people with the vaccine and none of them are taking the medication that I am taking, then how will I know for sure that it's safe for me? I also have a slightly weaker immune system than normal - will the vaccine still be safe?

The narcolepsy and even deaths that came with the swine flu vaccine has made me very worried about taking new hurried vaccines. I am all for vaccines in general, such as diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough, measles, polio and all those. But if I have a healthy child, I'd think more than twice about the COVID-19 vaccine since so few children get seriously ill from this virus.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
Reaction score
Medals
Any medicine, including vaccines, has some form of risk for some people. Antibiotics, for example, can cause a severe allergic reaction in some people, but that shouldn't make people reluctant or scared to take antibiotics.

All vaccines will go through a series of tests on cells, then animals, then limited human trials in controlled conditions and then widespread human trials in the general population of around half a million people before it is passed as safe. So I don't have any issues with having a vaccine.

The alternative is eventually catching covid-19, the horrors of which for some people are of a level that is hard to imagine. Survivors with permanent liver, heart and/or lung damage. If the virus reaches your brain there is a possibility of increasing your chance of developing dementia. The contents of the lungs of covid-19 patients can become almost completely solid so they can't breathe. These horrors are just those that survive.

Whatever the risks of a vaccine, the risks of Covid-19 are far greater, more common and more severe. I'll take the vaccine over the virus.

Last edited:

Emelee

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
Whatever the risks of a vaccine, the risks of Covid-19 are far greater, more common and more severe. I'll take the vaccine over the virus.
Not necessarily so. Say that to the people who suffers from narcolepsy or have died of a vaccine. The vast majority of those who get Covid-19 don't even need hospital care. So it's 50/50. A small risk of permanent vaccine damage or a small risk of COVID-19 damage.

But speaking of medication, I have plenty of medication sensitivity. Morphine causes me major nausea and panic attacks. Ibuprofen causes my kidneys to stop working. Aspirin causes me gastritis. My anxiety medication causes me a higher pulse which I have to medicate - but not too much because then my blood pressure will fall.

All people are unique, so testing 500.000 people is still no guarantee that the vacccine or medication will fit up to 99% of the population.

After almost having both my kidneys destroyed, I know that the very safe common Ibuprofen isn't 100% safe for all. If I had injected a permanent dose of it, I'd be dead now.

I want a COVID-19 vaccine, but I am not sure if I dare take it.

Emelee

Telly Talk Winner
Reaction score
Medals
I don’t support animal testing in any form. They can test it on me first.
I'm thinking they can test it on Putin, Kim Jong Un, Erdogan, Bolsonaro, Trump, LePen, Lukashenko, Xi Jinping, al-Assad etc etc first. :)

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
I know a man who got the flu vaccine. Turned into a werewolf the next day and ate a unicorn!
Oh, no... that's not right! No he didn't, what happened was he didn't get sick with flu. May have been me.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
Reaction score
Medals
Not necessarily so. Say that to the people who suffers from narcolepsy or have died of a vaccine. The vast majority of those who get Covid-19 don't even need hospital care. So it's 50/50. A small risk of permanent vaccine damage or a small risk of COVID-19 damage.

But speaking of medication, I have plenty of medication sensitivity. Morphine causes me major nausea and panic attacks. Ibuprofen causes my kidneys to stop working. Aspirin causes me gastritis. My anxiety medication causes me a higher pulse which I have to medicate - but not too much because then my blood pressure will fall.

All people are unique, so testing 500.000 people is still no guarantee that the vacccine or medication will fit up to 99% of the population.

After almost having both my kidneys destroyed, I know that the very safe common Ibuprofen isn't 100% safe for all. If I had injected a permanent dose of it, I'd be dead now.

I want a COVID-19 vaccine, but I am not sure if I dare take it.
The photo on the left is of healthy lungs and on the right is a patient with covid-19 so yes, I believe getting covid-19 is far worse than the risk of a vaccine.

It's simply not true to suggest that it's "50/50", the risks of Covid-19 are far greater than the risks of vaccination. The vaccine will be based on a one used safely in past, just altered by inserting a sequence of proteins found in the Covid-19 virus so although it will be new it will have a long history of being used without any serious side effects.

If Covid-19 starts to spread rapidly again, which is very possible as coronaviruses generally become more active in the winter months, without a vaccine or widespread lockdowns, hundreds of millions of people will die. Death following vaccination by comparison is rare. However, the number of deaths is not the full story, it's the long term complications of people who have survived Covid-19 that also needs to be considered and this is not fully understood yet.

Some people with mild symptoms have gone one to develop lung issues even after they recover from the disease. Some covid patients need to have surgery to repair damage to their lungs and the most serious cases will require an organ transplant. The potential damage is not only to the lungs, others have developed lasting heart damage.

A vaccine that has been extensively tested for safety is a far better prospect. The risks will never be zero but they are far better than the risks associated with getting Covid-19.

You are correct to say the "vast majority of those who get Covid-19 don't even need hospital care" but we need to be aware that of the fact there are people who are going to contract more serious forms of covid-19 and I would be mortified if I unknowingly infected someone else who went on to die or have long term health implications. That's why I'm saying a vaccine is the better option.

Last edited:

Alexis

Telly Talk Hero
Reaction score
Medals
You are correct to say the "vast majority of those who get Covid-19 don't even need hospital care" but we need to be aware that of the fact there are people who are going to contract more serious forms of covid-19 and I would be mortified if I unknowingly infected someone else who went on to die or have long term health implications. That's why I'm saying a vaccine is the better option.
This is very important. Someone could have minor cold/flu like symptoms and just carry on as normal but could infect hundreds of people who will infect more and so on. Those people are the dangerous ones. Going to work, using transport, meeting people. Inadvertently killing off or making seriously ill people with compromised immune systems and underlying health conditions.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Enthusiast
Reaction score
Medals
A vaccine that has been extensively tested for safety is a far better prospect.
... which needs several years of testing, for various reasons. Don't matter how many companies worldwide are working on it. We can't forward time if we want a save vaccine. Everybody who wants to "sell" you a "safely tested" vaccine in the next 2 years is a liar. Of course it will spread again more in the next winter, you can't prevent that, because there will not be another complete lockdown anymore. And it will cost thousands and maybe millions more lifes.
But that doesn't speedup the time that is needed for an extensively tested for safety vaccine as neither does wishful thinking of politicians or governments. New meds do need a testing phase of 6 years up to a decade, before they can be released safely to everyone (IF they don't fail the tests, which many do), and for good reason.
First thing you need to test with a vaccine, is how long the antibodies do remain in the blood, which is from 12 to 18 month, we're at the BEGINNING of that phase now. After that, the other tests can begin... the safety ones. We are VERY far away from any save vaccine, and that's not a matter of just months.

But i'm glad that meanwhile you changed your opinion from 5 months ago... ;)

If the unlikely event someone becomes infected with covid-19, their body's immune system will deal with it, just like it would do with flu. Healthy people have very little to worry about, however old people or people with a condition that can lead to a weakened immune system may find it more difficult to fight off an infection.

I'm more worried about Arsenal winning their next match than I am about covid-19.

Last edited: