• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Words and phrases from your nation

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
It wasn't said to me, I heard it on telly. 2 co-stars talking with each other. No snootiness or nastiness what so ever between them. It was a genuine compliment followed by a "naaa, bless your heart"

:love6:

That's when it is at it's most silent. And deadly. :D

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Really? :eck: I've heard "Bless your heart" said by Brits with nothing but niceness intended. For example, when somone pays you a compliment and you reply "bless your heart".

- You did great, I wish I had your patience.
-Oh, bless your heart!

Oh no no no nooooooooooooooooo. Not a Brit.

To put it in its sinister context, it MUST come from a TEXAN only.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A brit, yes. English to be exact. Londoner. And 0% other than accepting a compliment.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I googled it, and Wiktionary says this:

Phrase
bless someone's heart

1. Used to express gratitude. (Compare bless you, God bless you.)
  2. (especially Southern US) Used to soften criticism or express pity. (Compare the British usage of bless (“expression of endearment or belittlement”).)

Another site said that the original meaning is an expression of endearment.

So southerns in the US, use it as criticism. For others, it obviously depends on what you have been taught.

Could it be a generation thing?

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I googled it, and Wiktionary says this:

Phrase
bless someone's heart

1. Used to express gratitude. (Compare bless you, God bless you.)
  2. (especially Southern US) Used to soften criticism or express pity. (Compare the British usage of bless (“expression of endearment or belittlement”).)

Another site said that the original meaning is an expression of endearment.

So southerns in the US, use it as criticism. For others, it obviously depends on what you have been taught.

Could it be a generation thing?
Language evolves. Tone and intent can make a sentence or phrase mean two completely different things depending on situation and who is speaking.
The phrase would have originally been used as an expression of pity used with kindness. Though now it can be used to mock or patronise someone. The English language is full of such confusions.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Though now it can be used to mock or patronise someone
I think this is very typical of old-fashioned expressions/phrases, in my own language there are well-known phrases that we normally wouldn't use for the intended situation, so we use it to emphasize (or hint at) the opposite. And of course it makes sense that "pompous" suggests "not genuine" or "silly".
It's still perfect Dutch and can be used in the original context, but it rarely happens. Only the queen talks like that.