• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

World Cup Tournament World Cup of Soap Operas - The Matches

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Miss Ellie is correct, the poll does indeed close at midday on Tuesday. Get you vote in before then to decide who goes through between Dallas and Sons and Daughters and between Howard's Way and Neighbours.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
The polls have now closed and the votes have been counted and verified. The results of the first 2 matches of round 2 of The World Cup of Soap Operas are as follows:

Match 1
Dallas - 12
Sons and Daughters - 5

Match 2
Howards' Way - 6
Neighbours - 10

The 2 shows going through to the quarter finals are confirmed as Dallas and Neighbours.

Thank you to everyone who took part in this round of voting.

Last edited:

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
So we reach for the remote control to switch off Sons and Daughters and Howards' Way. The soaps remaining in the contest are as follows:

Details of the next 2 matches in the round of 16 will be posted tomorrow and will include 2 American, 1 Australian and 1 British soap opera.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Love you Dallas :love5:

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards

The next 2 matches in the second round of the contest are as follows:

The poll is now open for you to choose which soaps you would like to win each of the two matches to go through to the next round. You may vote for a winner of either match or for both matches.

Stating the reasons for your choices is encouraged as this makes the contest more interesting and may help others in their decisions. However, this is entirely optional and you can just state your chosen winner of each match if you prefer.

The poll will close at midday on Tuesday 29th October 2019.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Match 3 = Peyton Place

Match 4 = Brookside
It's my favourite moment in TV back when I watched an episode where Petra woke up to find her husband dead by her side. I was never a fan of the soaps back then, however that instant changed everything and nothing prepared me for what was to come of those wonderful characters living on a cul-de-sac.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Goodness, I'm not sure about any of them but Brookside, so I'll go with:

Match 1: Peyton Place - simply because I believe it's a classic

Match 2: Brookside - loved a bit of Brookie when it was on. Especially the storyline where Trevor ended up under the patio.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
I have never watched any of the 4 shows

However will pick

3. Peyton Place as my mum liked it

4. Brookside - as it had wonderful Sue Johnson and my friend Gail danced with "Billy Corkhill" at a wedding in the 80s

Englishboy

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Match 3) RETURN TO EDEN - I've never seen either show but I've heard nothing but good things about RTE which is on my to watch list at some point in the future so, the Aussie soap has it.

Match 4) BROOKSIDE - I've never seen Melrose Place so, the Liverpudlian serial gets my vote.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Match 3 - I really liked Return To Eden when it was first screened during the 1980 and was totally gripped by it. Fascinating characters, outlandish plots, great twists, surprises and cliffhangers and very different from anything else on TV at the time. However, Peyton Place is the mummy and daddy of prime time soap opera and practically invented the genre. I've only watched a few episodes and it's easy to see how it was so popular in the 1960s. So my vote goes to Peyton Place.

Match 4 - I never really got into Melrose Place but Brookside was one of my favourite shows in the 1980s and one of those that I remember discussing at school the next day after broadcast. My favourite characters are not the usual choices of most fans of the show but I really liked Harry Cross and Annabel Collins. My vote goes to Brookside.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Match Three

Peyton Place is the original American prime time soap, without which we may not have had Dallas, Knots, Dynasty and, in turn, Return To Eden. Peyton Place captivated me when I watched the entire run in the early Nineties, and when the DVDs came out it was the most pleasant of surprises to find that it’s not only stood the test of time incredibly well, it’s far better than I remembered. Dark, emotive and almost painfully gorgeous.

Return To Eden was a favourite of mine in the Eighties - first the gritty mini-series and then the glossy series. It had a wonderful cast and an enjoyably Australian tone, complete with crocs and snakes. When RTE was released on DVD, I discovered that it hadn’t held up quite as well and the appeal these days is entirely nostalgia-based.

For being so well-made, I’m voting…
Peyton Place

Match Four

Melrose Place was another Nineties favourite of mine. I stuck with it for most of its humble beginnings, then drifted away, before returning to the series with the classic episode in which Kimberly returned from the dead, at which point it became an obsession for several years. It had some heart pounding cliffhangers - sometimes on a weekly basis. I got burnout by Season Five and have never felt the need to watch the final two seasons because everything had been (over)done. I’ve enjoyed revisiting the series on DVD, but found I can only watch in small doses because the fast pace, flat lighting and wailing guitars can all get a bit too much.

My introduction to Brookside was watching the siege of 1985 with a friend who was into the series. I watched a few more, drifted away and then returned the following year to watch on a full-time basis for the best part of the next decade. I was just the right demographic for the spin-off bubbles like Damon & Debbie, and I also appreciated the grittiness and reality of the series. I finally caught up with the early days of the series when it was repeated in the Nineties, the timing of which highlighted how poor the new episodes were in comparison. It was never meant to be a mainstream soap with bodies under patios and headline-seeking lesbian kisses, even though that’s how it ended up. Like Melrose, Brookie lost me towards the end, and the Jimmy Corkhill era remains a turn off for me. But the greatness of its early years and its rebellious, politicised, Channel 4 Eightiesness is not to be underestimated.

For being entertaining and challenging, my vote goes to…
Brookside