• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

World Cup Tournament World Cup of Soap Operas - The Matches

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Match 3, the brilliant Return To Eden. This show has held up remarkably well since it was first made & transmitted in the 1980's. People on here need to show it a bit more love!

Match 4, Brookside. :)

Last edited:

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Match 3) RETURN TO EDEN - I've never seen either show but I've heard nothing but good things about RTE which is on my to watch list at some point in the future so, the Aussie soap has it.

Match 4) BROOKSIDE - I've never seen Melrose Place so, the Liverpudlian serial gets my vote.

Hi buddy, you can get Return To Eden off eBay. The mini series & 1985 series are available separately. However there is also a dutch release (it has dutch subtitles but the show itself is in english) which has the show complete.

RTE7.jpg

That is the dutch release. It also contains the re-edited final episode from the 1985 sequel series. The only thing wrong with it, is it doesn't contain the new version of the closing credits, thus it contains a static picture of the new Eden on the closing credits throughout the series run. Also the original opening shot of the first episode of the show is removed & replaced with the series opening titles. So it might be prudent for you in buying them separately. :)

RTE4.jpg

This boxset doesn't have the re-edited finale but has slightly better picture quality than the set below which does have it. I own both of them!

RTE3.jpg

You'll notice the set lists James Reyne & Wendy Hughes at the top, this is an error from the original mini series. It's actually Peta Toppano & Daniel Abineri in The Story Continues. :)

Last edited:

Jock Og

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Game 3 - RETURN TO EDEN: Even though PEYTON PLACE was a trendsetter I'm choosing RTE, for this contest. As I have said before the show was of the highest OTT escapism Australia's way. All of the factors which made the U.S.A. eighties quartet must see T.V. were there, combined with the New Eden mansion and a sought after mining company. Rebecca Gilling, Peta Toppano, James Smillie and Daniel Abineri should have got more than seven months original coverage. RTE was an all too brief 'Down Under' answer to DYNASTY, which it had most similarities with i.e. the glamour, the catty exchanges and regality feel.

Game 4 - BROOKSIDE: I only watched early MELROSE PLACE whereas I was an avid viewer and ardent fan of the Liverpool based show. The characters were interesting, there was a working class feel, the Close had a nice homely aura for the most part and of course there were no half hearted storylines / plots. Jim Bowen used to say "You can't beat a bit of Bully!" The same parallel applies here in that you can't beat a bit of Brookie.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Match 3 - I loved the Return To Eden miniseries but I didn't care much for the follow up soap. While the mini was well acted and stayed on the right side of camp, the soap just felt OTT and ridiculous but not in a good way. It didn't feel particularly Australian. More like Australian performers acting out their version of a bad American daytime soap. As mentioned previously, I've yet to delve fully into the Peyton Place universe but it gets my vote for this match because of it's standing as a classic in the genre. I have indulged in some clips and the below are my favourites. I look forward to doing the full experience someday soon.

Match 4 - Melrose Place is one of my favourites but Brookside was revolutionary in the context of UK soaps. It was a shot in the arm for soap viewers who only knew the cosy worlds of Emmerdale, Crossroads and Coronation Street at the time. It was a gritty, sweary slice of Thatcher's Britain that tackled social realism without being preachy. Like all soaps, it had it's peaks and troughs, with the 80's being it's imperial phase (see below) followed by the sensationalised mid-90's and it's gradual decline in the lead up to the millennium. Even in it's dying years, I still found something to enjoy in it. It is a landmark in British soap, so it gets my vote for this match.

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Peyton Place and Brookside for me, please. (Too full of man flu to show my workings out this week!)

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have indulged in some clips and the below are my favourites.
Thanks, those clips me realize I need to give it some priority on my to Re-watch List. Steven and the gorgeous Betty were the true anti-heroes!
with the 80's being it's imperial phase (see below)
Wow, the son was involved with that woman?
If I had found this clip then I would have voted for Brookside.

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards

The folks from Peyton Place are correct, the poll does indeed close at midday tomorrow. Get your vote in before it's too late. You are choosing between Return To Eden and Peyton Place and between Melrose Place and Brookside.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards

I only popped on SC earlier to do a couple of things and then I found this. It's a brilliant recap of what happened through the years in that house. I've never seen this before, so it was fun to watch, especially with the cast discussing their scenes/stories. Thank you for tripping me out today.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
The poll has now closed and the votes have now been counted and verified. The results of matches 3 and 4 in the second round of the World Cup of Soap Operas are as follows:

Match 3
Return To Eden - 8
Peyton Place - 11

Match 4
Melrose Place 7
Brookside 13

I declare the winning soap operas going through to the next round are Peyton Place and Brookside.

Twenty forum members participated in last week's vote which I was the highest level we've had so far in this contest. Thank you to everyone who took part in this vote.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
So we turn the page of the TV guide over on Return To Eden and Melrose Place leaving 12 soap operas in the contest.

Details of the next 2 matches will be posted tomorrow and it will be a big week as 2 of the big prime time soaps of the 80s will be up against each other as will be 2 of the biggest soaps from the same country.