World Cup Tournament World Cup of Soap Operas - The Matches

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Just out of interest @Mel O'Drama, where did you purchase the first two series from?

They're available to watch on Amazon Prime Video. I'm not sure how these things work, but I imagine it's possible they're also on similar sites.

They look and sound great, so I wouldn't be surprised if these versions made their way onto DVD or Blu-ray at some point.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Due to the forum being offline for a while, I am extending the poll until Tuesday 19th November to give everyone who wants to participate the chance to vote.
Thanks for that. I was starting to think the forum was gone forever. :(

Match 7: Savannah. A noble attempt to revive the prime time soap.
Match 8: Knots Landing. With my screen name, what do you think I was going to vote for?

Jock Og

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Game 7 - GENERAL HOSPITAL: I must admit to not having seen much of either show. However because GH has been on the go from 1963, with a fair share of 'ups and downs' I will give the show my vote.

Game 8 - KNOTS LANDING: If I were to rate the main 1980s prime time soaps from 1 to 4 this would be the rating: 1) DALLAS; 2) FALCON CREST, 3) DYNASTY and 4) KNOTS LANDING. KL was undeniably the best written show. IMHO in a strange way this could be why it isn't as well remembered as the others globally, even though FC is a poor relation too but maybe not as much as the Sea View Circle residents. Knots could be classed as a serious programme, compared to the other three and for some this was why it is their favourite, from the power hungry Reagan era. Gary; Valene, Mack, Karen, Abby and Greg were my favourites from California's favourite T.V. cul-de-sac.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Laura Avery is correct, the poll does end at midday on Tuesday so vote for your winner before it's too late. Your choice is between Savanna and General Hospital and between Knots Landing and Home and Away.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
The poll has now closed and the votes have been counted and verified. The results of the final match in the round of 16 are as follows:

Match 7
General Hospital - 13
Savannah - 6

Match 8
Home and Away - 2
Knots Landing - 17

The following 2 soap operas have been declared the winners going through to the quarter finals:

Thank you to everyone who voted in this round.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
So we reach for the remote control to switch off Savannah and Home and Away and turn the page of the TV guide on the round of 16 in the World Cup of Soap Opera. The shows remaining in the contest are as follows:

This week the first of the quarter final matches will be played and will feature 2 massive shows from the past up against 2 current popular soap operas.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards

The first 2 quarter final matches in the contest are as follows:

The poll is now open for you to choose which soaps you would like to win each of the two matches to go through to the next round. You may vote for a winner of one match or for both matches.

Stating the reasons for your choices is encouraged as this makes the contest more interesting and may help others in their decisions. However, this is entirely optional and you can just state your chosen winner of each match if you prefer.

The poll will close at midday on Tuesday 26th November 2019.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
That's the way the draw came out.

Oh I know. And Apples vs. Oranges is the point of the entire World Cup really. But it's always a little agonising when you love both series in very different ways.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Anyway...

Match One
For pushing the boundaries and for establishing the precedent for realism and grit...
Brookside

Match Two
For being lyrically beautiful and poetic in its writing, production and presentation...
Peyton Place

^This looks familiar. I'm sure these two have been my A/B choices in a previous pair of matches.