• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

World Cup Tournament World Cup of Soap Operas - The Matches

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The poll has now closed and the votes have been counted and verified. The results of the first 2 quarter final matches in the World Cup of Soap Operas are as follows:

Match 1
Coronation Street: 9
Brookside: 8

Match 2
Peyton Place: 12
General Hospital: 6

The 2 soaps going through to the semi-finals are confirmed as follows:

Congratulations to Coronation Street and to Peyton Place. Details of the final 2 quarter final matches will be posted tomorrow.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
So we reach for the remote control to switch off Brookside and General Hospital. Brookie came within a whisker of beating Corrie, one more vote would have changed the outcome. Well done to Peyton Place; it came off the air half a century ago but is still rocking it for forum members.

The players board has now been updated:

The final quarter final matches will be between Dallas, Dynasty, Knots Landing and Neighbours but who will play who? Details will be posted tomorrow.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Bye-bye Brookie side
Bye-bye happiness
This comment reminded me of how every Christmas Brookside would do extended credits at the end of a episode to acknowledge the contribution of everyone who worked on the show, not just the cast and the main production team. So the credits would include the catering team, administration staff, drivers and cleaners, amongst others, and they would all stand on the close and wave at the camera while the credits rolled.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
to acknowledge the contribution of everyone who worked on the show, not just the cast and the main production team.
That brings back more memories, I remember looking forward to seeing who I could spot in that picture at the end.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The American (daytime) soaps would do the extended crawl, as well, which I think is a great 'gift' to the people who don't get a lot of credit for helping them get the shows done.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards

The final 2 quarter final matches in the World Cup of Soap Operas are as follows:

The poll is now open for you to choose which soaps you would like to win each of the two matches to go through to the next round. You may vote for a winner of one match or for both matches.

Stating the reasons for your choices is encouraged as this makes the contest more interesting and may help others in their decisions. However, this is entirely optional and you can just state your chosen winner of each match if you prefer.

The poll will close at midday on Tuesday 3rd December 2019.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Well, to begin with, I'm really happy that Dallas isn't up against Knots, so without further ado, here goes.

Match 3 - Knots Landing - I really enjoyed Dynasty a few years back and I hope to do it again, but as much as I had fun with the show, Knots means so much more to me and it hasn't taken a flicker of indecisiveness, I'm straight in to give Knots my vote. :D

Match 4 - Dallas

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Match 3
Dynasty was an entertaining, over the top show whereas Knots Landing was a brilliantly constructed, written and acted drama. From those great early self-contained episodes of the first 2 seasons to the gripping season long plotlines of the later years, and its high point of the kidnapping and recovery of Val's babies, Knots Landing had some of the best moments ever in prime time soap of the 1980s. There is good reason why Knots Landing ran for longer than any of it's contemporaries in the genre, it was a quality show. Dynasty was just camp. My vote is for Knots Landing.

Match 4
Although I appreciate Neighbours is a much loved show which has been broadcast for longer than most soap operas, this match is like comparing a McDonald's hamburger with a fine fillet steak. No, contest for me, Dallas wins.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Val's babies,
Of all the big four soaps, 'Val's babies' is my favourite story and nothing comes close, and all I can say is how bloody pleased I was able to binge-watch this and not go the full period of when it originally aired.

That Bowie Girl

Soap Chat Rebel
LV

Reaction score
I have never seen Dynasty and I do have it on my very long list to watch but even so I just loved Knots Landing from beginning to end and I thought it kept it's quality up the best it could for having 14 season with like 30 or more episode per season. There was nothing I didn't love about this show and I too liked that I got to watch it when I wanted to watch rather than waiting week to week.

Match 3
Knots Landing

I have never seen Neighbors. I have seen Dallas once on DVD. Another show I enjoyed for the most part but not nearly as much as I enjoyed Knots Landing.

Match 4
Dallas

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Match Three

Not a fun choice. Dynasty's first season was as rich and substantial as American soaps get. But Knots had substance for fourteen seasons and an impeccable standard of writing and casting for most of its run. Dynasty had, in my opinion, a superior final season to Knots, but Knots had the best ending of any of them which made it worth the ride. And those emotional cliffhangers really got into my head.

It's yet another vote for...

Knots Landing

Match Four

How is it Dallas always knows exactly what to do to cause the most harm to classic Australian soaps, and always does it with such unerring instinct?

First The Young Doctors. Then Sons and Daughters. And now Neighbours.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear it had made a pact with the Devil!

Even though it will inevitably get trampled all over by the series that gave us the legendary Stephanie Rogers, James Beaumont, Laurel Ellis and Angelica Nero, the last Aussie standing deserves some love...
Neighbours

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
Match Three

Match Four

How is it Dallas always knows exactly what to do to cause the most harm to classic Australian soaps, and always does it with such unerring instinct?

First The Young Doctors. Then Sons and Daughters. And now Neighbours.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear it had made a pact with the Devil!

Even though it will inevitably get trampled all over by the series that gave us the legendary Stephanie Rogers, James Beaumont, Laurel Ellis and Angelica Nero, the last Aussie standing deserves some love...
Neighbours

@Mel O'Drama

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I did wonder was she on her way!! @Mel O'Drama And don't even think I didn't pick up on the 'legendary' James Beaumont etc comment!!!! :eck: