• Nick

• Straight Steven

Results are only viewable after voting.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
My vote is Mark Jennings. At least with DeVilbis and Tracy, it could have worked if they'd done it differently. But with Mark, as Krystle's ex, the casting just wasn't right.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Kirby... Always Kirby. I mean she was at least 46 characters wasn't she?

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
My vote is Mark Jennings. At least with DeVilbis and Tracy, it could have worked if they'd done it differently. But with Mark, as Krystle's ex, the casting just wasn't right.

Yeah the casting was bad, but it was consistent in one thing: Krystle has always had terrible taste in men. Mark, Matthew, Nick, Daniel (Nick was a wild card in not being old testament also). I really wanted her and Dex to have had an affair.

Kirby... Always Kirby. I mean she was at least 46 characters wasn't she?

She was in Jeff's Colbyco office a lot, inhaling right along with him.

Last edited:

Ked

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I voted for McVane, cuz there was so little point and potential to him (the only redeeming qualities I can apply to him are that he was the reason for the "Get out of my sight, you miserable has-been!" scene, and the hilarious "drag queen murder" stuff :lol:); for Jeff, because he was such a Designated Hero; and for Straight Steven because of how much disrespect it gave to Al Corley's portrayal. At least with the other characters, there was potential for all them to be a ton of fun. Yes, even Lindsay. She could have been interesting, or at least cute/tragic, had she not been such a crybaby.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't dislike any of these characters, but I assume this thread is about worst-written-characters.
Mark and Tracy had the weakest storylines, Kirby the most confusing but Steven 2 was a real downgrade although I kinda liked him in season 3.
All the other characters from that list are good (Jeff was a bit hit-or-miss)

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't dislike any of these characters, but I assume this thread is about worst-written-characters.
Sometimes it's a combination (like Straight Steven) of storyline and actor, sometimes it is more the writing (Tracy) and sometimes the actor (Lindsay). In terms of who they were as characters, Steven, Mark, Kirby, and Jeff had potential as characters being tied to core players or being core players themselves, but a combination of bad writing and acting killed it. I don't care for characters like Tracy, Nick, or De Vilbis because I don't like one season (or 1/3 of a season in De Vilbis' case) characters as a rule unless they serve a purpose--Tom Carrington served a purpose, for instance, as did McVane during the merger storyline.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't care for characters like Tracy, Nick, or De Vilbis because I don't like one season (or 1/3 of a season in De Vilbis' case) characters as a rule unless they serve a purpose
There was a story waiting for all these characters, they served a purpose. It's just that the writers decided not to use all of it. I don't know why, was it lazy writing or was it because they didn't want to change the status quo too much? Well I guess many soap stories are "what if" stories.
And yet two of their best players left the show, talk about impact! It's almost ironic.
Tom Carrington served a purpose
So boring, and so un-gothic. I could ignore this character's inconsistent history, but then at least he should have been something special.
An old monster in a huge bed in a huge castle. Never show his face, only his hands. Pictures of Blake's mother...stuff that would connect it to the Dynasty history.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yeah the casting was bad, but it was consistent in one thing: Krystle has always had terrible taste in men. Mark, Matthew, Nick, Daniel (Nick was a wild card in not being old testament also).
And Blake (Matthew wasn't a bad guy).

Frankly, Krystle's history of bad taste in men doesn't tend to ring true somehow. It always feels like misandric laziness on the part of the writers.

Or misogystic. Or both.

Tony

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've been re-watching Season 4 on CBS Drama, and I think the most unlikeable character is Tracy.

At least with De Vilbis you knew he was supposed to be a villain, and Kirby a victim.

Mark's a waste of space in season 4, but I think James from London said in one of his rewatching threads, it would have been more interesting if Tracy fell off the balcony and both Krystle and Alexis were implicated, and Mark just went back to New York.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've been re-watching Season 4 on CBS Drama, and I think the most unlikeable character is Tracy.

At least with De Vilbis you knew he was supposed to be a villain, and Kirby a victim.

Mark's a waste of space in season 4, but I think James from London said in one of his rewatching threads, it would have been more interesting if Tracy fell off the balcony and both Krystle and Alexis were implicated, and Mark just went back to New York.
I want Alexis on the stand testifying that she saw Krystle slap Tracey thru the doorway of Krystle's Denver-Carrington office. While Blake reluctantly testifies in Alexis' defense of killing Jennings.

Is it au courant to have a mêlée on the floor of the courtroom --- Krystle, Alexis and the entire gallery, the judge's gavel blazing ??

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've been re-watching Season 4 on CBS Drama,
I think my favorite scene of season 4, and maybe all of DYNASTY, happens in "New Lady in Town" when Steven is in New York and an old college classmate recognizes and hits on him--despite him having a whole new face. :D

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
I'm not surprised Lindsay is leading the poll. While I think she fit into the dynamic between Claudia and Matthew, she didn't move the show forward. After an episode or two you felt like you knew Lindsay completely and that was it.

Mustard

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Peter De Vilbis. That was the kiss of death for Pamela Sue Martin's Fallon as we had known and loved her.

Steven's sexuality could get annoying at times. He's either a bisexual man in the closet or he's faking it with women, and I think the former. Unfortunately, in those days, too many people only thought in terms of gay and straight, especially with males.

I never minded Lindsay. Teenagers being annoying is just the way it is.

colbyco

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yeah the casting was bad, but it was consistent in one thing: Krystle has always had terrible taste in men. Mark, Matthew, Nick, Daniel (Nick was a wild card in not being old testament also). I really wanted her and Dex to have had an affair.
- she really had and Blake (S1) beside his money wasn't prince charming either!
but that´s real life ... I had a good friend she always fell for the wrong men ... *so in some case the show had writing that made sense (even it was by accident)
Sometimes it's a combination (like Straight Steven) of storyline and actor, sometimes it is more the writing (Tracy) and sometimes the actor (Lindsay). In terms of who they were as characters, Steven, Mark, Kirby, and Jeff had potential as characters being tied to core players or being core players themselves, but a combination of bad writing and acting killed it. I don't care for characters like Tracy, Nick, or De Vilbis because I don't like one season (or 1/3 of a season in De Vilbis' case) characters as a rule unless they serve a purpose--Tom Carrington served a purpose, for instance, as did McVane during the merger storyline.
- yeah Tom Carrington had be filmed like a real monster ...
dark, ruthless, throwing shoes at the staff ...
Agree about Chase. He always had a dark side.

I'll get killed for this, but what about Jock Ewing? He was an AWFUL father, pitting his sons against each other, often for only his own amusement. He was also a sexist pig.
*** I voted:
  • Lindsay (bad writing and bad look ... could you imagine her beeing part of the golden-glamour-shoulderpads-area?)
  • Nick (bad casting)
  • Straight Steven (bad writing + bad acting -the look was good but an actor that was unconfortable beeing gay)

Mustard

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Straight Steven (bad writing + bad acting -the look was good but an actor that was unconfortable beeing gay)
That's Jack Coleman. It was the opposite with Al Corley, i.e. Corley wanted to play a gay character but was frustrated at the way Steven was written in Season 2, with both his sexuality and his sudden love for car driving, which seemed to be another case of Steven being in the closet. They should have just made Steven bisexual from the beginning if they were going to have Steven have relationships with women. They should have just had Steven as a man who has sexual relationships with men but also with some women. Having sexual relationships with men back then would have been scandal enough in terms of Blake Carrington's bigotry of "The Steven Carrington Institute for the Treatment and Study of Faggotry", regardless of whether Steven was also having sexual relationships with women or not. Steven had been pretty serious with Ted Dinard.

colbyco

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That's Jack Coleman. It was the opposite with Al Corley, i.e. Corley wanted to play a gay character but was frustrated at the way Steven was written in Season 2, with both his sexuality and his sudden love for car driving, which seemed to be another case of Steven being in the closet. They should have just made Steven bisexual from the beginning if they were going to have Steven have relationships with women. They should have just had Steven as a man who has sexual relationships with men but also with some women. Having sexual relationships with men back then would have been scandal enough in terms of Blake Carrington's bigotry of "The Steven Carrington Institute for the Treatment and Study of Faggotry", regardless of whether Steven was also having sexual relationships with women or not. Steven had been pretty serious with Ted Dinard.
- yeah, but in the beginning the Shapiros really wanted to bring social issues on the screen -they wanted Steven to be gay! But the pressure of ABC (didn´t Corley said they wanted to make Steven another Bo Hazzard? (The Dukes of Hazzard)) ruined the character ...