• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

You say "Pry-mark", I say "Pree-mark"

How do YOU say it?

• "Pree-mark"

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • "Prime-ark"

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
How to pronounce the budget retailer's name has caused a basket-load of debate.

Some claim "Pry-mark" is an upmarket affectation. Others say "Pree-mark" is a northern thing.

But Primark have tried to settle the matter once and for all, writing on their website: "We like to use Pr-Eye-Mark."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40926473

Does anyone remember the Primark jingle from the Eighties? "Primark. Who-ooah. Only Primark."

If memory serves, in that advert it was clearly - and repeatedly - pronounced as "Pree-mark". Based on which I've always used that pronunciation.

They clearly can't make up their own minds how to pronounce it, so I'm calling them out and saying they're wrong. Or just the worst kind of snobs.

If I ever shopped there I'd boycott them. As it is I'll have to make do with using the classic pronunciation. It makes more sense to me anyway (who ever heard of a "pr-eye-ma" Donna?)

But how have you said it up until today?

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

I used to work in Primark in Northern Ireland and trust me EVERYONE in Ireland, North and South, including the staff who work in it, say PREE MARK.

I was horrified at some of the remarks on Twitter last night saying people who say PREE MARK are idiots. Newsflash - there is more to the UK than the mainland.

If PRY mark want to say PRY mark they need to let the rest of their workers know - yes N Ireland does exist!

But I doubt very much ANYONE in this country will change how they say it.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I call it that place I go to in the Autumn and Winter to stock up on acrylic jumpers that will be disposed of in the Spring.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I assume "your" Penney's is different from our American department store, JC Penney? We often mockingly refer to it as "Jacques Pee-NAY" to give it an upscale sound, sort of like referring to Target as "Tar-ZHAY".

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I assume "your" Penney's is different from our American department store, JC Penney? We often mockingly refer to it as "Jacques Pee-NAY" to give it an upscale sound, sort of like referring to Target as "Tar-ZHAY".

Yes, it's different. I remember being left alone at the age of 14 in JC Penneys in California. I was so happy. It was like heaven.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I'm editing this thread as it's crying out for a poll. Let judgement commence.

I used to work in Primark in Northern Ireland and trust me EVERYONE in Ireland, North and South, including the staff who work in it, say PREE MARK.
Pree-mark for me and proud!

:yep:

We often mockingly refer to it as "Jacques Pee-NAY" to give it an upscale sound, sort of like referring to Target as "Tar-ZHAY".

That reminds me of the British baked potato diner chain Spud-u-Like. Ever since Victoria Wood pondered over how to say the name I insist on pronouncing it the way she did: "Spud-ooo-lick-ay".

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If there was a Primark in Holland I would also call it Preemark.
But if I were in England (visiting), and noticed a Primark, I'd think: there's a catch, it cannot be that simple.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Never heard the word before, so going ONLY by looking at the spelled word, I would pronounce it pry-mark | prai-mark (similarly to words like primary and prime).
If it's pronounced pree-mark, then I would question why it's not spelled "premark" instead.

But hey, English is not my native language, so what do I know?! :confused:

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Reading the BBC article that Mel posted above, I reacted to 2 other names that people have problems with...

• IKEA: if you follow the Swedes, it's "ee-kay-uh" not "eye-kee-ah". The word is made up of the initials of the founder's name and the village he grew up in.
  • Another sports brand getting our tongues in a twist is Adidas. Named after its founder Adi Dassler (Adolf Dassler), it's A-di-das not a-DEE-das.

IKEA is pronounced [ee-kay-uh] in Sweden -- but when I say IKEA in an English sentence, I pronounce it [eye-key-ah]! I believe many Swedes change it to the incorrect pronounciation when speaking English. It's because we've heard it pronounced like that so often that we adopt it ourselves -- but only when speaking English!

ADIDAS; I know what the correct pronounciation is, but it just sounds too strange to say it!! I've said [a-DEE-das] my whole life, and it's the only pronounciation that I've ever really heard. So I continue using that. To heck with what it's supposed to be! :lol:

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Preemark, my Mecca of shops, are just trying to be posh because they are going global.

Mo Mouse

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I was thinking of getting you a pair of dungarees with "S" on then this year, Sar.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I was thinking of getting you a pair of dungarees with "S" on then this year, Sar.

Aw how lovely thanks Mo. I am also a bit partial to Mickey Mouse, but in a strictly platonic way.

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
IKEA is pronounced [ee-kay-uh] in Sweden -- but when I say IKEA in an English sentence, I pronounce it [eye-key-ah]! I believe many Swedes change it to the incorrect pronounciation when speaking English. It's because we've heard it pronounced like that so often that we adopt it ourselves -- but only when speaking English!

Many years ago a couple of visiting Norwegian friends briefly discussed the difference in pronunciation and it's kind of stuck with me as I assumed they were close enough to Sweden to be an authority on the matter. I've attempted to use the correct pronunciation but I've been defeated by some funny looks and I seem to have unconsciously settled on something in between the two ("ick-key-uh").

Actually, having just watched a couple of videos my pronunciation is pretty much the same as this chap's:

Maybe I am saying it correctly after all.