Your favourite new discovery this week?

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Just trying to resurrect another pre-crash music thread.

It can be an old song or recently released, as long as it's completely new to you.

This week I was completely blown away by this semi-clubby/semi-chill out remix of The Sound Of Silence, but I think The Sound Of Underwater would be a more appropriate title.

It has a very dreamy, "vocal flashback" quality to it, I think.

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Just trying to resurrect another pre-crash music thread.

Great!

This week I was completely blown away by this semi-clubby/semi-chill out remix of The Sound Of Silence, but I think The Sound Of Underwater would be a more appropriate title.

It has a very dreamy, "vocal flashback" quality to it, I think.

Fab. It works perfectly. I feel the same way about this version of 'Ring My Bell', which I first heard just over a week ago, like about seven days and five hours ago:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I have heard R&B and house mixes of Ring My Bell, but not a rocksteady version.
The vocals are very velvety, and there's some great sound effects too. I find it hypnotic.
like about seven days and five hours ago
Since it's the first time, I think we should allow it?

The jury agrees.

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Since it's the first time, I think we should allow it?

The jury agrees.

I'd just like to say that I'm very grateful to the jury for their understanding and compassion.

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
'Other' by Alison Moyet:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
^
That's very beautiful, and I like it that her voice sounds contained. Same goes for the video: not too fancy, dark or melodramatic.

Yesterday I was listening to AIR's "Sexy Boy", and YouTube strongly suggested that I should listen to David Bowie's "Speed Of Life".
I wondered why, but I have learned not to argue with YT, and besides, I'm usually too curious to ignore the suggested videos.
I honestly don't think I had heard it before...well, better late than never.

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That's very beautiful, and I like it that her voice sounds contained. Same goes for the video: not too fancy, dark or melodramatic.

That's one of the great things about Moyet -- it's never about "listen to all the things I can do with my fabulous singing voice", it always about just delivering the song honestly.

I recently listened to a really interesting documentary about a folk singer called Shirley Collins who I'd never heard of but has been around for years. She's in her 80s now. She reminded me of Alison Moyet, but in a more extreme way. She doesn't believe in singing to show off. One of her admirers, Graham Coxon from Blur, says her singing is like "listening to the news", in that it is so unsentimental and matter of fact, but very haunting at the same time. (I'd post a clip but I don't want to break the rules of the thread!)

I honestly don't think I had heard it before...well, better late than never.

Great! The way people sometimes talk about Low and Heroes, the albums Bowie made during his Berlin period, makes them sound very imposing, but I've never found them so. True, a lot of the songs are instrumental, but like 'Speed of Life', they still sound very pop.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Btw, this is thread is about your favourite discovery, not discoveries.
Collide is one discovery. I haven't discovered anything else this week, so take that second sample of how great I think Collide (my one discovery) sound, as an early Easter treat

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I had a song by Amason in one of my Spotify playlists and then this week Emelee nominated another of their songs in the nominations thread. That song was 'Kelly' which is pretty amazing, but that lead me to check out more of their songs and I love their version of 'I want to know what love is'. I would post both but I'm kind of scared, I know how strict things are on this thread.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards