• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Your LEAST favorite character from the main cast?

TaranofPrydain

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Modern Times
Kenny Ward just simply blended into the background too easily. It was easy to forget he was even there.

Ewing4

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Godzilla
From the original it is Diana! She was horrible to Mac and her relationship with Chip was awful, especially after being kidnapped by him, admitting to her he killed Ciji, she still marries him and tries to help him escape.
Later on would be Danny. Hated him from the beginning and the way Val just jumped into marriage was terrible. The rape and physical abuse he did to women, the mind games to the twins, and killing Pat by driving drunk. The only good thing was seeing him float in the pool.

juschill

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Tied with Diana and Frank. Frank was completely useless. Diana was not useless but the actress was not good at all. Michael comes in a very close third. Terrible acting. Was Tanya Crowe the only actress/actor under 30 that practiced her craft?

Last edited:

juschill

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'll assume by "main cast," you refer to principal players (in the opening credits) as opposed to recurring characters. In that case I guess it would be a toss-up between Kenny Ward and Paige Matheson. Kenny was too one-dimensional, a victim of bad/neglectful writing. Paige suffered not from bad writing but from over-exposure. I felt the producers who created her were so enamored of their creation that they insisted on giving her too much screen time.

In recurring players I have several, but narrowed it to Linda Fairgate for the same reason I grew to dislike Paige--overexposure. They seemed to want to have this newbie make all the established characters look stupid via her scheming. "See how crafty she is? Isn't she clever? Oh, what will she do next??" Oh, give me a break.
Yeah but Linda was so easy on the eyes.

cijimccashin

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Karen. I still liked her but she was not one of my favorites after Sid died. And i wasn't a fan of most of her storylines; i felt they should've went to others and they were isolated from the cast imo.

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
From the actors in the main cast I've had a problem with Frank because the character was too much like a second Mack. Similar background, same attitude, same old-fashioned behaviour towards women and over-protective to a daughter who isn't a child any more. Played by someone who seemed to parody Mack's worst overacting moments.

But killing off Frank's wife Pat was for me harder than Laura's death because Laura had at least some good stories. When introduced Pat was the most promising new character ( interacting with others outside the Williams house) who faded in the background to give Mack's copy more space.

I think the Paula actress was in the main cast (at least in a group shot) . She was a copy of Karen and extremely boring. I understood that Greg tolerated Anne hanging around or Linda but they were entertaining or hot. I didn't buy it that Greg could be interested in a younger version of Karen.

Last edited:

juschill

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
From the actors in the main cast I've had a problem with Frank because the character was too much like a second Mack. Similar background, same attitude, same old-fashioned behaviour towards women and over-protective to a daughter who isn't a child any more. Played by someone who seemed to parody Mack's worst overacting moments.

But killing off Frank's wife Pat was for me harder than Laura's death because Laura had at least some good stories. When introduced Pat was the most promising new character ( interacting with others outside the Williams house) who faded in the background to give Mack's copy more space.

I think the Paula actress was in the main cast (at least in a group shot) . She was a copy of Karen and extremely boring. I understood that Greg tolerated Anne hanging around or Linda but they were entertaining or hot. I didn't buy it that Greg could be interested in a younger version of Karen.

Frank was terrible. They killed off the wrong Williams.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Because the show had always been more about the women than the men. Too bad the producers got all butt-hurt over Lynne Moody's (valid) criticism of their inability to use the character better and decided to kill Patricia off. Some people just can't take criticism.

I agree that they got rid of the less-interesting Williams. Another option could have been for Patricia to languish in a coma off-screen for some time, with Julie and Frank ultimately coming to terms with the idea that Patricia's not going to recover. Once there is that producer turn-over in S13, perhaps she could have a miraculous recovery. Moody (always an in-demand actress) might or might not have resumed the part; she never had trouble finding other work. At least there would have been some opportunity to do a re-set of the Williamses with others doing the writing.

captainarcher

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Shining
I never liked Mack , and always thought Kevin Dodson over acted in many scenes

Patrice

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've never liked Paige... or Nicollette Sheridan...
Paige is supposed to come from some old money family from the East coast, she looks more like the common "nouveau riche" Californian bimbo, absolutely no class at all!
Sheridan is from British origin, she looks more like... the common Californian bimbo, always half naked, dressed up like she's going to the beach or the fitness center next door, absolutely no class at all!;)

About Karen, I'm divided, Karen can be such a... KAREN:laughs:, having an opinion about everyone and everything, and on this "may I speak to the manager please" way.
I guess the character was written this way, but she can be so irritating. I like the episode we discover at the very end she's been kidnapped, we finally got an episode she does not say a word, an entire episode without listening to Karen's opinion about everyone and everything, we just see her face! Priceless!
But on the other side, I kind of like her, she's a genuine person.

Moreover, I think Michele Lee is overacting, I can't stand the way she AR-TI-CU-LA-TES every word and the way she pauses almost in between every word, like she was in a classical theater play!:no:
But on the other side, I kind of like her, she really seems to be a genuine person for what I've seen in some interviews. ;)

Last edited:

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've never liked Paige... or Nicollette Sheridan...
Paige is supposed to come from some old money family from the East coast, she looks more like the common "nouveau riche" Californian bimbo, absolutely no class at all!
Sheridan is from British origin, she looks more like... the common Californian bimbo, always half naked, dressed up like she's going to the beach or the fitness center next door, absolutely no class at all!
I am not quite as hard on Paige or Nicollette Sheridan as you are, but I'm certainly not one of her biggest fans. For me, though, it isn't that I don't like Paige, it's just we get too much of her in the later seasons. I've heard fans jokingly refer to the final four or five seasons as "Paige's Landing," and I can see why they do that. She comes in and is really the only younger character that retains any footing, after the likes of Michael, Olivia, Harold, and evnetually Linda are all booted out. Some of Paige's storylines were good and intriguing. I am particularly fond of Paige's relationship with her mother Anne and how her relationship evolves with her father Mack, but sometimes she was "inserted" into some storylines so randomly. I recall her injection into the Jason saga of Season 12, where she is tackled on the front yard by Jason's family. It's like the writers had to find a way to involve Paige in some capacity.

As for Nicollette Sheridan, I thought she did a fine job of playing Paige. She was a capable and maturing actress, tasked with Paige's development from teenage vixen to young adult heroine, and I think she did it nicely.

About Karen, I'm divided, Karen can be such a... KAREN:laughs:, having an opinion about everyone and everything, and on this "may I speak to the manager please" way.
I guess the character was wrote this way, but she can be so irritating. I like the episode we discover at the very end she's been kidnapped, we finally got an episode she does not say a word, no Karen's opinion about everyone and everything, we just see her face! Priceless!
But on the other side, I kind of like her, she's a genuine person.

Moreover, I think Michele Lee is overacting, I can't stand the way she AR-TI-CU-LA-TES every word!:no:
But on the other side, I kind of like her, she really seems to be a genuine person for what I've seen in some interviews.
I've had a difficult relationship with Karen during my KNOTS LANDING journey. I've always liked her, but I've flipped back and forth on whether I found her annoying or well-meaning.

Here's what I've come to --- she's both.

Karen is a well-rounded character that is well-meaning, but who can also be annoying because she sometimes pokes her nose where it doesn't belong. People in reality do that, though, which helps serve up the fact that Karen is probably one of the "realest" characters on the show.

I absolutely adore Michele Lee, even if her insistence on KNOTS being "about us" and the cul-de-sac characters being "the people over the back fence" do get a little tiresome. But, I suppose if you get asked the same ole questions when you get interviewed, you give out the same ole answers.

Anyway, I like Karen. She really was what Joan Rivers called her, "the first lady of Knots Landing."

Patrice

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
@ClassyCo

Ok, I sounded a little ironically harsh about Paige/Nicollette, anyway, what you say is so true, the last seasons were "Paige's Landing", we got too much of her, really!

About Karen, her first scene when she goes to meet Gary and Val sits the character perfectly: both the nice and nosy neighbour/friend, the one you like but at the same time the one you always feel to have behind your back controlling your life!
It's true what you say, Karen is probably one of the "realest" characters on the show.

TaranofPrydain

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Modern Times
Now having seen the whole series, the least favorite ones of the main cast would be Keeny (too bland) and Joshua (just a hateful, hateful character) Diana could get on my nerves at times, but I had mostly patience with her.

Of the ones not included in the opening credits, the worst would be Johnny Rourke (no purpose), Danny Waleska (see Joshua), Brian Johnston, and just about everyone introduced in the first half of season 13 outside of the underutilized Marcia Cross and Halle Berry (very unappealing and boring characters).

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't think Frank was terrible. But agreed on Patricia being the more intriguing character.
I'd have to say Frank. Nothing specifically against him but he didn't seem to contribute a great after Pat was gone. Of course, Larry Riley was ill which could account for that.