48th Annual Daytime Emmy Nominees Announced

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The ceremony will air on CBS (and stream on Paramount-Plus) on June 25. Nominations in the major soap opera categories are listed below. Other awards for game shows, talk shows, animation, etc. will be given out that evening, as well.

Agree, disagree? Glaring omissions? And of course...who do you think will win? GH got nearly twice the nominations of the other soaps, but will that split the vote?

OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES
The Bold and the Beautiful (CBS)
Days of Our Lives (NBC)
General Hospital (ABC)
The Young and the Restless (CBS)

LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Melissa Claire Egan (Chelsea, Y&R)
Genie Francis (Laura, GH)
Nancy Lee Grahn (Alexis, GH)
Finola Hughes (Anna/Alex, GH)
Jacqueline MacInnes Wood (Steffy, B&B)

LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Maurice Benard (Sonny, GH)
Steve Burton (Jason, GH)
Thorsten Kaye (Ridge, B&B)
Wally Kurth (Justin, Days)
Dominic Zamprogna (Dante, GH)

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Marla Adams (Dina, Y&R)
Tamara Braun (Ava, Days)
Carolyn Hennesy (Dianee, GH)
Briana Henry (Jordan, GH)
Courtney Hope (Sally, B&B)

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Darin Brooks (Wyatt, B&B)
Max Gail (Mike, GH)
Bryton James (Devon, Y&R)
Jeff Kober (Cyrus, GH)
James Patrick Stuart (Valentin, GH)

YOUNGER PERFORMER IN A DRAMA SERIES
Tahj Bellow (TJ, GH)
Victoria Konefal (Ciara, Days)
Alyvia Alyn Lind (Faith, Y&R)
Katelyn MacMullen (Willow, GH)
Sydney Mikayla (Trina, GH)

GUEST PERFORMER IN A DRAMA SERIES
Kim Delaney (Jackie, GH)
George DelHoyo (Orpheus, Days)
Briana Lane (Brooklynn, GH)
Cady McClain (Jennifer, Days)
Victoria Platt (Amanda, Days)

WRITING TEAM FOR A DRAMA SERIES
The Bold and the Beautiful
General Hospital
The Young and the Restless

DIRECTING TEAM FOR A DRAMA SERIES
The Bold and the Beautiful
Days of Our Lives
General Hospital
The Young and the Restless

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES
SHOULD WIN. General Hospital (ABC)
WILL WIN: The Young and the Restless (CBS)

LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
WILL WIN: Melissa Claire Egan (Chelsea, Y&R)
SHOULD WIN: Genie Francis (Laura, GH)

LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
SHOULD & WILL WIN: Maurice Benard (Sonny, GH)

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
WILL WIN: Marla Adams (Dina, Y&R)
SHOULD WIN: Carolyn Hennesy (Dianee, GH)

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
WILL WIN: Bryton James (Devon, Y&R)
SHOULD WIN: Jeff Kober (Cyrus, GH)

YOUNGER PERFORMER IN A DRAMA SERIES
WILL WIN: Alyvia Alyn Lind (Faith, Y&R)
SHOULD WIN: Sydney Mikayla (Trina, GH)

GUEST PERFORMER IN A DRAMA SERIES
SHOULD WIN: Kim Delaney (Jackie, GH)
WILL WIN: Cady McClain (Jennifer, Days)

WRITING TEAM FOR A DRAMA SERIES
SHOULD WIN: General Hospital
WILL WIN: The Young and the Restless

DIRECTING TEAM FOR A DRAMA SERIES
WILL WIN: Days of Our Lives
SHOULD WIN: General Hospital

I made my decision about what should and will win. I didn't pick B&B for anything, so I guess it has to win something, maybe an undeserved Emmy for JaquiMac once more... I was surprised to find Briana Henry on the list, because to me she's not a strong actress. Briana Lane's nomination surprised me, too, but in a good way. I didn't like her frist, but at the end of her run I was sad to see her go. She gave Brook Lynn more depth than Amanda Setton does, but AS is more fun. Some guest performancers had a long run, so long it also could have been supporting actor.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Darin Brooks nomination is beyond me. If any B&B actor should have been nominated, it should have been Matthew Atkinson as Thomas.

Lol at the writing category. No DOOL. As if nominating all 4 by default was too much. What a burn!

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If any B&B actor should have been nominated, it should have been Matthew Atkinson as Thomas.
It leads one to wonder if he's being denied recognition for his acting as the show tries to bury/forget that whole storyline with the mannequin. Granted, the plot will go down in soap infamy alongside Erica's UnAbortion, Marlena possessed by the devil, and Casey the Alien....but the actors involved should not be punished for the writing. Maybe they could install a new category: Best Sport, an award for an actor who does the best with what they're given.

I have seen so little of the soaps other than GH that I cannot really argue one actor (or show) against another. So I can say who I like most, who I think deserves that kind of recognition.

In the Leading Actress category, I feel like Genie Francis is the sentimental favorite, and has a lot of good material to be judged on. While I like Finola Hughes overall, her material has not been spectacular, and she spent a long period of time off the show. The interminable Peter August story has sent Anna Devane down with the ship, so to speak. The show seemed hell-bent on giving Nancy Lee Grahn Emmy-bait stories all year long, so she does not lack ammunition (or talent). I just feel like her stuff was more showcase-y and intentional, as opposed to the unpretentious daily stuff Genie Francis did and does.

In Lead Actor, I have to confess Maurice Benard is not my cup of tea, and the show's insistence on having Sonny dominate the show for so long makes me long for the days (2012-2015 or so) when he was less prominent. He is another recipient of the Emmy Bait/Look At Me stories that eat up all the screentime. I hope that sort of over-exposure does not get rewarded, because then they'll have him on even more! Steve Burton's nomination mystifies me, since Jason is as robotic and emotionless as he's ever been. And as likeable as Dominic Zamprogna is, he does not belong in the Lead category.

More later....

Last edited:

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
One of the debates we see every year at Emmy time surrounds the supporting categories. There are always a few actors who end up in the supporting races when they really haven't done "supporting" work. A lot of actors who have been the lead in their stories submit their work in the supporting category because they feel (rightly or not) that the lead categories are too hard to win, that supporting is somehow easier to win. The blue-ribbon panels don't seem interested in defining and patrolling the nomination process enough to actually reject submissions on the grounds that they're not appropriate, so the war rages on.

This said, I was actually quite pleased to see GH's Nicole Briana Henry (Jordan) and especially Carolyn Hennesy (Diane) getting nominated, since their characters (the Police Chief and an attorney for the Corinthos family) are great examples of supporting characters who help drive story without being the subjects of that story. Marla Adams (Dina on Y&R) could very easily (and deservedly) win the award if the voting panels simply want to reward good acting performances, regardless of whether she was driving story for others (Dina's children) or was carrying her own story (which would make her a Lead). I'm not familiar enough with Tamara Braun's Days role, but if she was submitting for her work as Kim Nero on GH, she would definitely fill the bill for a supporting character. While NBH had some uneven work over the year, CH never fails to deliver a sharp performance, so I'd love for either Hennesy or Adams to win.

One glaring omission in this category, however, is Lisa LoCicero, who plays Olivia Falconeri Quartermaine on GH. She has been the unsung hero of GH this year. It would be her category to win if she had been nominated.

In the Supporting Actor category, I think Max Gail did great work, but if he was meant to win, it should have been last year. Jeff Kober's acting style just does not work well for me, but I'm still trying to figure out if it's a writing directive rather than acting choices. Kober's Cyrus has been all over the map since he's their designated evil-doer at the moment. It does not help one bit that his "showdown" scenes with Benard make me want to roll my eyes, with both of them trying to do the strutting alpha male thing. What is supposed to be serious becomes a parody. I'd love to see James Patrick Stuart win an award for his work, but alas they have been writing Valentin more of a leading man since the return from Covid shutdown. One good romantic pairing and Valentin's shift to Leading Man would be complete. But if none of that matters to the panel, then it might be his trophy.

Like I said earlier, I think Dominic Zamprogna belongs in this category rather than Lead. But I still don't think his stuff (to this point) would win this category this year.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
I'm most curious about Thorsten Kaye's Emmy reel, because I got no idea what's in it? Ridge's break-up and marriage to Shauna? Ridge finding out about Thomas and the mannequin? I like Thorsten Kaye, but which scenes have been strong enough for an Emmy nomination? I can't recall any...

When it comes to Darin Brooks: I don't like Wyatt, but I've come to like the actor more since I saw him elsewhere. There was a time when he was guest starring on sitcoms like 2 Broke Girls or Super Fun Night and he was funny in it IMO, so I appreciate Darin's acting more.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
No one would ever admit it, but aspects you mention (actors' work elsewhere, the general likeability/reputation of the actor) always factor into the judging. Maybe not in the front of their minds, but it's there. Some judges might be more familiar with the actor's other work and let that knowledge inform their opinions on the reels they're supposed to be judging independently. In theory, an actor might be stinking up the place all year long but have two really good performances that could be submitted. The judge is tasked with only judging those two reels, not allowing the rest of the year (and all the accompanying bad press/criticism) to color their opinion. They're also not supposed to rely on good word of mouth or reputation---that is, seeing the same actors nominated over and over should not color the judges' opinions on that year's submissions. In both cases I think they don't quite accomplish those goals. You have actors who seem to get nominated every year regardless of how strong their stories or their performances are, and a fair share of actors who get habitually overlooked in favor of these serial (for lack of a better word) nominees.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm most curious about Thorsten Kaye's Emmy reel, because I got no idea what's in it? Ridge's break-up and marriage to Shauna? Ridge finding out about Thomas and the mannequin? I like Thorsten Kaye, but which scenes have been strong enough for an Emmy nomination? I can't recall any...

When it comes to Darin Brooks: I don't like Wyatt, but I've come to like the actor more since I saw him elsewhere. There was a time when he was guest starring on sitcoms like 2 Broke Girls or Super Fun Night and he was funny in it IMO, so I appreciate Darin's acting more.
I have to admit that the Thorsten Kaye nomination was surprising to me as well, but having read the last post of @Daniel Avery now, I do understand it better now. Still, considering the other nominees, I’d be surprised if he wins.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
"Younger Actor" used to have male and female categories, but the organizers wisely combined the categories as the number of soaps shrunk to four and the shows ignored the original intent of the categories. Those awards were typically where the "future stars" first made their mark. Many went on to greater stardom, and many stayed in daytime and moved up into the Supporting and Lead categories as their skills and fame grew. However in recent years, in the shows' eagerness to have another Emmy winner on staff to brag about, they would nominate any young actor who fit the category stipulations, likely regardless of whether they felt the performance was comparable (think: five year-olds with limited dialogue versus twenty year-old breakout heart-throbs in romantic stories). When they turned Younger Actor into a unisex category (like Guest Performer had been for most of its existence), it forced the shows to think a bit more deeply about who should get nominated. There have still been a good number of nominees who probably would not get recognized if they submitted in other categories, but this group is pretty solid. Sydney Mikayla of GH has really impressed me in her performances, reminding me a bit of the "rising star" origins of this category, and Alyvia Allyn Lind already has a foot out the door headed to Hollywood, so it would be most fitting if either of those two took the award. But Katelyn MacMullen (as GH's Willow) had some great material that might push her into the running if the judges don't mind her character being out of the "young" realm (her character should be over 25 by now, even if the actress might not be).

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
How come some strong soap actors seem weak outside daytime while others who were average during their soap run become great movie or primetime actors?

Anthony Geary won most Emmys ever and I adored his acting on General Hospital, but elsewhere I've always thought he was overacting. Susan Lucci got 21 Emmy nominations, but was she really good in Dallas, Devious Maids and her tv-movies? Eric Braeden is only strong as Victor Newman and Maurice Benard acts the same everywhere just a bit less compared GH. Susan Flannery was amazing on The Bold & The Beautiful, but I didn't love her on Dallas and The Moneymakers.

I was going through nominations for younger actor / actress and there are so many names who became big: Robin Wright, Jason Biggs, Melissa Leo, Nathan Fillion, Jane Krakowski... I actually watched Santa Barbara when Robin Wright was on and never in a million years I had imagined she would star in blockbusters. There were other SB actors from the early years I thought could be big, but nothing happened.

Last edited:

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The pacing of soap production makes it unlike most anything in acting. I guess the pat answer would be that the breakneck pace brings out certain skills in the actors that they aren't asked to use in the more leisurely pace of primetime (and practically glacial pace of films). If the actor benefits from having time to craft his performance, he may fare better in film or primetime TV. If he's instinctual (knowing immediately how to play a scene) and doesn't want to second-guess an acting choice, soaps might be the best area for him, if not live performing like plays or improvisation.

Two winners of the Younger Actress category--both of whom I knew would be going places--- were Ellen Wheeler and Anne Heche. The actresses played the same characters on Another World (a pair of identical twins named Marley and Victoria Hudson) at different times. Wheeler had been hired just to play Marley, but the head writer saw how talented she was and dreamed up the "long-lost twin" story just to showcase her talents. The twins fought for the love of one guy, Jake, employing a lot of split-screen scenes. Marley married Jake and left town, while Vicky ultimately ran off to Las Vegas whole the show sought to recast her.
When they hired Anne Heche (less than a week after Heche graduated high school) it was to recast/play Vicky only, but the producers (and the viewers like myself) immediately saw she had a great, raw talent that needed to be put to work. Marley returned to the show and the twins had many more stories together. Heche should have been given a truckload of money to stay on AW, but she left shortly before winning that Younger Actress Emmy and almost immediately ended up in films, working her way up from independent (low budget) film to the summer blockbusters with Harrison Ford and the like. Every time I see those two anywhere, doing anything, I immediately think 'Marley' when I see Ellen, and 'Vicky' when I see Anne.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
If Genie Francis doesn't win this year, she's already having good material for next year, this week on GH just proved it. I really hope she's going to win, because she is having a run on GH.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If Genie Francis doesn't win this year, she's already having good material for next year, this week on GH just proved it. I really hope she's going to win, because she is having a run on GH.
She deserves to win and I hope she does. I’ve always considered her one of the most underrated actresses on daytime.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm sure it is no coincidence that some of the best material Genie's had in years is airing while the Emmys' blue-ribbon panelists are voting in their respective categories. Even though they're supposed to judge the nominees only on the material on the submission reels, you can be pretty sure the panelists are peeking in on the day-to-day episodes just to get further background on the nominees' work. They used to do similar stunts for other GH actors they assumed would end up in contention for Emmys, such as Finola Hughes and Laura Wright.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
Most undeserved Emmy this year goes to Jacqueline MacInnes Wood. She was a bad actress when she joined B&B and she improved through the years, but she is still not good.

Maurice Benard deserved to win. I'm not a fan of the actor, but his acting is too strong to overlook.

Max Gail and Marla Adams both winning for Alzheimer stories seems like a statement, but I'm fine with it. I guess it was Marla Adams' last chance to win an Emmy so I'm happy for her. I prefered Max Gail's Alzheimer acting over hers, to me it seems she acted only confused because she wasn't able to do more like Max Gail did.

Biggest surprise is Victoria Konefal. I still don't know if she is a good actress or not. If she is this good why no one else hires her like Olivia Rose Keegan?

Cady McClain is alright, she was a strong replacement.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'd be more appreciative (?) of Benard if he would work harder to maintain eye contact with his scene partners. The way he looks off to one side or purposely casts his eyes upward might make sense if he were speaking to one of Sonny's enemies (disrespecting the other character), but he also does it with friends and family. At times it's as if he's looking to cue cards or a TelePrompter but I don't think soaps allow them on set any more. It's one of those "you can't un-see it" things that distracts me when he's onscreen.