5 things you would have done / wouldn´t have done

Ked

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But would he screw her over, save Krystle, and become the family hero?:lol:

Now that would be interesting... only wouldn't that result in Sammy Jo getting arrested, and being carted off?

Hm, not unless Adam still provides her with an alibi... but then blackmails her into helping out with any of his new schemes...

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Krystle would force Adam into rehab in exchange for her silence.

K

Karin Schill

Am I the only one who prefered Jack Coleman's portrayal of Steven over Al Corley's?

I know Al was original cast but I did end up liking the recast better in this case. Maybe it was because they gave a plausible explaination for him changing looks so it never bothered me.

The worst recasts IMHO was Adam in the reunion and Karen Cellini's Amanda.

Ked

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Not necessarily. She is Danny Carrington's mother, I think the Carringtons would like to avoid a scandal.

Wouldn't they be able to quietly put her away? Heck, even Alexis could be convinced to keep quiet for Danny's sake: "If you say anything, Danny'll grow up thinking that it was YOU who put his mother behind bars, and he'll grow up hating you!"

And if I had the power...I'd give Al Corley and Pamela Sue Martin a reason to stay. Total artistic freedom, perhaps?

Well, Corley's reason for leaving seemed to stem from his frustration of the show refusing to commit to his character being gay. I liked Steven's romances with Claudia and Sammy Jo, since those were more out of loneliness and grief than anything else. I would have told Al, "Don't worry, after Sammy Jo, Steven's never going to be involved with another woman. He knows now for sure that he's gay and that NOTHING is going to change that. We just had to give him a kid because of all the potential drama." But then again, there's also Steven's marriage to Claudia... either that never happens, or Steven and Claudia get married in name only, because it actually looks as if Blake might win the custody battle, and so Steven does it out of pure desperation. He never falls in love with Claudia, nor she him. But that wouldn't make her getting involved with Adam any less embarrassing for anyone.

As for PSM... somebody earlier suggested having her around for a limited amount of episodes each season. That might work. Plus, her character would have remained strong and interesting throughout the first four seasons.

And yes, allowing both actors some artistic freedom would probably sweeten the deal. X)

Am I the only one who prefered Jack Coleman's portrayal of Steven over Al Corley's?

No. I've seen others who prefer Coleman. I prefer Corley, because Coleman started off with such a weirdly blank expression. Plus, Coleman wanted Steven to be straight, and that's just not who Steven was. Although... what if Jack Coleman played Bart (I'd take Snarky's idea and rename him "Fox") Fallmont?

I know a lot of you around here want Luke to stay alive, but Bart/Fox could still come around to create a bit of a love-triangle... Maybe Adam notices that Mr. Fallmont obviously has the hots for Steven, and being the mustache-twirling villain that he is, Adam decides to create trouble for his brother by tricking Luke into thinking that Steven and Bart/Fox are having an affair.

Gabriel Maxwell

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Breezy fragrant vineyards of Falcon Crest
I had a dream last night, which must have been triggered by the discussions here. A multifaceted one, as they usually come, leaping from one unrelated place to another, saving the very best for last.

As I was about to wake up, I found myself in a little old-fashioned picturesque English village, with a main street type of layout, cute little homes on both sides, and suddenly there's Krystle coming out of an alley between two of the homes. She was dressed in a casual riding outfit, talking to someone, a stable groom perhaps, I assume "off to the hounds," and she of course flashed her signature smile as she passed me by.

Taken aback, I look down the main street, and out in the distance, at the very top, with mountains behind it, I vaguely see a manor, but I knew it was the Carrington mansion. Then I realize - oh, my God, I'm in Harmon Springs! How cool is that?! Sadly, I woke up at this point before I got a chance to explore.

So, I'm adding a 6th suggestion: place the Carrington mansion in close proximity of a cozy little village -- as referred to in a few rare scenes, including the deleted one with Joseph craving fresh blueberries -- for an improved sense of location.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Taken aback, I look down the main street, and out in the distance, at the very top, with mountains behind it, I vaguely see a manor, but I knew it was the Carrington mansion. Then I realize - oh, my God, I'm in Harmon Springs! How cool is that?! Sadly, I woke up at this point before I got a chance to explore.

So, I'm adding a 6th suggestion: place the Carrington mansion in close proximity of a cozy little village -- as referred to in a few rare scenes, including the deleted one with Joseph craving fresh blueberries -- for an improved sense of location.
Oh, for sure. A sense of location DYNASTY never had.

By the way, was Harmon Springs ever mentioned before Season 7?

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, I recall a reference or two to "the village" in the early seasons. But I wonder why they waited to name the township "Harmon Springs" by Season 7... I think I'd like it to sound more Colorado Rocky-ish, like "Cathedral Springs" or something.

I wonder why they never chose to give the estate a name. I came up with "Cedar Abbey" years ago by trying to combine something snowy and something churchlike and something indigenously treelike. I had to drop one for purposes of brevity.

But that's just me...

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It worked for Falcon Crest (the early seasons anyway), strangely enough it didn't work for Knots Landing.

What place would they use for location shots? It's a fictional place so it doesn't have to be Colorado.
But nothing too touristic because a) it's difficult to film in such areas and b) tourism is tacky.

upload_2019-1-23_0-42-47.png

No.

Yes.

They didn't really have a place to meet or to hang out.
Maybe La Mirage should have been bigger (not to mention: beautiful), sort of a mini-resort. "A simple life for the super rich".
There could be a small bookstore, hairdresser, antiquery, a cakery, a jam-o-ry, cheesery etc.

Last edited:

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
Wasn't Claudia working in a small bookstore in season 1?

rayray

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I never got the impression that Sable was sidelined. Unless you mean that she'd become the star of season 10?

If the gubernatorial election had ended a little earlier then Blake could have focused on the custody trial.
It defies belief that the mighty Carrington patriarch would allow those little, ordinary Atkinson-nobodies to walk away with his precious Carrington heir.
That child belongs to his dynasty, and how little ordinary Karen Atkinson feels about the situation is completely irrelevant - although it could still affect Adam and Dana's marriage.

Or why didn't Alexis put some muscle into it, being one of the most powerful people on the planet and all that.
She could have teased Blake with the fact that he did nothing, Adam's son was her grandson only - "that's right Blake, I'm starting my own dynasty, and you and your blonde secretary are not part of it!"

I totally meant Caress, not Sable, and needed more coffee when writing this post. ;)

rayray

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1. Keep Cecil (removing the cartoon Logan Rhinewood silliness); keep him as a business rival of Blake's who realistically plays an intelligent game of chess with Blake over the entire series.
2. Allow Alexis to develop as a sideline schemer - and allow her amoral/asocial character to surface more frequently. Let her be a real wild card, trustworthy to no one including Cecil.
3. Make the Dominique story result in serious vendettas against all three major players - Blake, Alexis and Krystle. Never incorporate Dominique into the inner trusted core of the family - instead, shed be a strategic partner for some plots but a rival/barrier in others. She should be allowed to always hold some grudges against the other character's refusal to accept her presence as an equal player or family member.
4. Allow Blake to outwardly state the real reason he didn't accept Dominique as his sister: her race. Allow Blake's bias against Dominique to explicitly surface and be a plot point driving conflict between him, Steven and Fallon. Adam could easily have been painted as jealous of yet another claimant to the family fortune and easily un/consciously racist as well. (It truly drove many of us crazy watching Dominique's entrance into the series when the obvious issue of racism was never mentioned or made clear, when it absolutely would have been named in real life.)
5. Keep Sable. Never, ever sideline Sable. Make her be the even wilder wild card than her sister - selfish, a twinge of morality and inner conflict, but also capable of truly hateful deeds driven out of sibling rivalry.

Gee, I wish I had a time machine right now. ;)
P.S. When I wrote "Sable" above, I meant "Caress." Forgive me; it's been a few years. :)

Ked

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They didn't really have a place to meet or to hang out.
Maybe La Mirage should have been bigger (not to mention: beautiful), sort of a mini-resort. "A simple life for the super rich".
There could be a small bookstore, hairdresser, antiquery, a cakery, a jam-o-ry, cheesery etc.
Wasn't Claudia working in a small bookstore in season 1?
Yes there was a bookstore, and also the obligatory secluded bordello. Lack of scenery doesn't really apply to season 1.

Years ago, somebody suggested that Krystle open a boutique with Claudia and Kirby. I still think that's an adorable idea, and having said boutique be in the village would be perfect. :D

I think this would be a great setting for the three of them to be walking along and opening their store up in the morning. What kind of store should it be, anyway? Clothes? Jewelry? Shoes? Books? Paintings? Art supplies? Or a little bit of everything?

Heh, I just imagined Alexis secretly submitting a few of her own paintings there, which just so happen to be recognized by a notable art buyer, who insists on meeting the artist. Cue Alexis barging her way into Krystle's "little shop" to gain notoriety.

Last edited:

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
You know what... i think Dynasty's season 9 was just too much ahead of it's time!
It was just too good! Just a few years later... with the internets already around.... it would have worked wonders and maybe even catapulted the show back to the top!
I just watched S09E03 and at the end in the morgue, where Blake seems to recognize the body... THAT would have been the PERFECT thing for social media to take over.... if the internet would have been around already at that time, this episode would have caused an EXPLOSION!
The social media response would have been SO high, that ABC would not have known what to do!
With the internet already around, S9 would have gotten Dynasty to a whole new level and it would have been around for at least 2 or 3 more seasons... or maybe it would have even never been cancelled at all and still be running...?!

Last edited: