90’s Daytime Talk Shows

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I remember reading about it but I don't think a station in my market picked it up, or if they did it was in an unfavorable slot. I think a lot of these shows lived and died by time slot, since syndicated shows were purchased on a per-station basis and each station could choose when to air it.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Sounds familiar but I don't think I saw it.
I don’t think many did and while it ran for three seasons, there’s very little about it online.
I remember reading about it but I don't think a station in my market picked it up, or if they did it was in an unfavorable slot. I think a lot of these shows lived and died by time slot, since syndicated shows were purchased on a per-station basis and each station could choose when to air it.
The only thing I’ve seen in reference to a timeslot is a print ad, promoting its 10am slot on NBC Chicago.

TaranofPrydain

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Modern Times
And then there are the satanic, tone-deaf wraiths of THE VIEW -- premiering in 1997 under the auspices of Barabara Walters and still airing today with high numbers (by contemporary standards) in America.... Those bitches have no idea that their broadcast audience tunes in to hate them, they're so damned stupid.

I don't know if anybody sees it outside of The States.

Was it always the unmitigated, insufferable train wreck it was today or was it (slightly) better years ago when it started?

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Was it always the unmitigated, insufferable train wreck it was today or was it (slightly) better years ago when it started?

Well, the era was different. The polarization wasn't quite as pronounced in the culture at large. So the sense of there being an agenda on THE VIEW, braindead or otherwise, wasn't as obvious. There were petty feuds that would dust up on screen occasionally -- between members or guests -- but that tended to be more silly than what it feels like today.

But the cat scratching brings THE VIEW a fair amount of attention, so in the last few years they've dropped most of the guests and give us "Hot Topics" almost every day (which apparently gives them better ratings).

That said, then and now, I lacked the fortitude to sit through it very much.

Unfortunately, the show does seem to be reflective of what's happened to "the left" today. As Democratic strategist James Carville recently said, the exodus of men from the party in the last couple of years is that it's been over-run "by preachy women."

Although "preachy" is rather generous.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There is a frequent quote people bring up: If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem. When it comes to the polarization of America, The View is most certainly a part of the problem.

When The View started, Barbara Walters claimed she wanted female co-hosts who came from varying walks of life, varying ages, etc. That was the "hook", that supposedly she wanted a cross-section of women with diverse outlooks. Unfortunately they decided somewhere along the line they didn't want diversity of thought. The longer-serving hostesses never wanted (and certainly never welcomed) anyone who wasn't as left-leaning as they were, and I think the producers encouraged the onscreen bullying by never hiring a conservative or even center-right co-hostess who could hold their own against the onslaught. And of course there is the tendency for everyone to talk at once, even when they're all saying basically the same thing. The idea that this show is produced under the news division rather than the entertainment division says a lot about what ABC considers "news" these days.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well, the era was different. The polarization wasn't quite as pronounced in the culture at large. So the sense of there being an agenda on THE VIEW, braindead or otherwise, wasn't as obvious. There were petty feuds that would dust up on screen occasionally -- between members or guests -- but that tended to be more silly than what it feels like today.

But the cat scratching brings THE VIEW a fair amount of attention, so in the last few years they've dropped most of the guests and give us "Hot Topics" almost every day (which apparently gives them better ratings).

That said, then and now, I lacked the fortitude to sit through it very much.

Unfortunately, the show does seem to be reflective of what's happened to "the left" today. As Democratic strategist James Carville recently said, the exodus of men from the party in the last couple of years is that it's been over-run "by preachy women."

There is a frequent quote people bring up: If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem. When it comes to the polarization of America, The View is most certainly a part of the problem.

When The View started, Barbara Walters claimed she wanted female co-hosts who came from varying walks of life, varying ages, etc. That was the "hook", that supposedly she wanted a cross-section of women with diverse outlooks. Unfortunately they decided somewhere along the line they didn't want diversity of thought. The longer-serving hostesses never wanted (and certainly never welcomed) anyone who wasn't as left-leaning as they were, and I think the producers encouraged the onscreen bullying by never hiring a conservative or even center-right co-hostess who could hold their own against the onslaught. And of course there is the tendency for everyone to talk at once, even when they're all saying basically the same thing. The idea that this show is produced under the news division rather than the entertainment division says a lot about what ABC considers "news" these days.
I’ve only ever seen The View from clips online but would I be correct in thinking that it was standard enough for the first few years (bar the bit of drama with Star Jones leaving). Then the Elizabeth / Rosie argument happened and they thought it was good box office, so the show got a lot more confrontational?

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards

It's understandable that conservative viewers might have an issue with THE VIEW and its non-existent multi-sided commentary. But thinking liberals -- and there are some -- hate it even more because it plays into shrieking, woke stereotyped argumentation which only hurts the leftist cause.

I’ve only ever seen The View from clips online but would I be correct in thinking that it was standard enough for the first few years (bar the bit of drama with Star Jones leaving). Then the Elizabeth / Rosie argument happened and they thought it was good box office, so the show got a lot more confrontational?

Probably. And Rosie getting into it with Trump long before anybody (other than THE SIMPSONS) thought he'd ever be president.

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Yes, that marks one of the rare times where Carville said something reasonable. Typically, he's a Democratic Party shill himself.

Some may misconstrue what he said into a sexist statement, but he's clearly referencing a very specific group of women. I wonder if he realizes it also applies to his pal Hillary.

To quote comedian Tim Dillon, "There are many brilliant women out there. None of them are on The View.”

Last edited:

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I find it fascinating how many people had their own shows. It was like they were handing out talk shows to anyone with any kind of profile in the mid-90’s
Going back to this point, I came across a few ads in old TV Guides for The Charles Perez Show. He apparently started out as a runner on The Jane Pratt Show in 1992 (which initially ran on FOX for 13 weeks, was cancelled and then picked up by Lifetime who then canned it after 12 weeks). He moved on to production roles on Ricki and Montel before being give his own show in 1994. So he went from bottom rung of the production ladder to headlining his own show in the space of two years. His show was dropped in 1996, having apparently gotten lost among the slew of new talk shows that premiered in the 1995-96 season.

Another, which I can find no trace of online bar the TV Guide ad, is This is Lisa Maria, which was hosted by former model / Guardian Angel Lisa Sliwa (now known as Lisa Evers). It aired on WB stations, so I’m presuming it was aimed at the younger audience.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, that marks one of the rare times where Carville said something reasonable. Typically, he's a Democratic Party shill himself.

Some may misconstrue what he said into a sexist statement, but he's clearly referencing a very specific group of women. I wonder if he realizes it also applies to his pal Hillary.

To quote comedian Tim Dillon, "There are many brilliant women out there. None of them are on The View.”

Well, here's some potential sexism for you: while THE VIEW doesn't necessarily reflect all women, or most women, nor every leftist woman, THE VIEW is a reflection of an aspect of female psychology.

Not all toxicity is male.

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well, here's some potential sexism for you: while THE VIEW doesn't necessarily reflect all women, or most women, nor every leftist woman, THE VIEW is a reflection of an aspect of female psychology.

Not all toxicity is male.
Yes, but we unfortunately live in a culture that wants us to believe all toxicity is male.

Some people likely assume the phrase "preachy women" is directed at any woman who speaks her mind, but it's really directed at the woke harpies like those on The View.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Out of boredom on this rainy Sunday, here’s a list of some of the random celebs who landed their own talk shows in the 90’s.

Vicki! - Mama’s Family actress & gameshow host
Marilu - Taxi actress
Ricki Lake - John Waters regular & China Beach actress
Gabrielle - Beverly Hills 90210 actress
Danny! - The Partridge Family actor
Tempestt - The Cosby Show actress
The Susan Powter Show - infomercial diet guru
The Suzanne Somers Show - sitcom actress & Thighmaster infomercial queen
Carnie! - Wilson Phillips singer
The Rosie O’Donnell Show - actress & comedian
The Roseanne Show - TV sitcom matriarch
Jenny Jones - standup comedian
George & Alana - actor & Z-list ex-wife

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, but we unfortunately live in a culture that wants us to believe all toxicity is male.

Some people likely assume the phrase "preachy women" is directed at any woman who speaks her mind, but it's really directed at the woke harpies like those on The View.

And it begs the question: how toxic is the toxicity of women that we have to pretend they have no toxicity at all ? -- or, if they do, it's all generated by men because of, y'know, patriarchy and her total lack of any power.

'Sugar and spice and everything nice' -- it never goes away, and it never goes away for a reason: it's useful.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Dream Maker
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Out of boredom on this rainy Sunday, here’s a list of some of the random celebs who landed their own talk shows in the 90’s.

Vicki! - Mama’s Family actress & gameshow host

George & Alana - actor & Z-list ex-wife
Vicki was also a singer. She did the original of "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia."

Alana was also the ex wife of Rod Stewart. Two big divorce payouts for her.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Joan Rivers Show actually premiered in 1989 but lasted until 1993 or 1994. Though she was mostly known for hosting nighttime talk shows, I felt her daytime series was her most engaging work to that point and well-suited to her quick wit. In between the jokes and the sarcasm you could tell she was a very intelligent woman who did her research on topics. She won an Emmy for Outstanding Talk Show Host for this show at a point in her life when she really needed that boost professionally and personally.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Joan Rivers Show actually premiered in 1989 but lasted until 1993 or 1994. Though she was mostly known for hosting nighttime talk shows, I felt her daytime series was her most engaging work to that point and well-suited to her quick wit. In between the jokes and the sarcasm you could tell she was a very intelligent woman who did her research on topics. She won an Emmy for Outstanding Talk Show Host for this show at a point in her life when she really needed that boost professionally and personally.
That speech is very touching. I’m so used to seeing videos of Joan in “wisecrack a second” mode, it’s interesting to see her being serious like this. Her late night show felt like it was the last of the old school style chat shows, where guests were given time to speak and breathe before we moved into the era where shows felt like they were more about the hosts than the guests (Letterman, Leno, James Corden).