Appreciate Hip-Hop?

Biggie

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Happy Gilmore
I've noticed that other TT members have name checked and ruminated over some outstanding musicians, and flagged up artists new to me. I have not seen many Hip-hop acts mentioned, so I'm curious if anyone appreciates this genre.

There are so many excellent acts, groups, collectives and MC's plying their trade in a diverse and vibrant corner of the music business. My tastes span the spectrum from ABBA to Wu-Tang Clan., with Hip-hop being well represented in my physical and digital collection. Are there any other kindred spirts here will to share there favourites, curiosities or dislikes?

Hip-Hop is a diverse genre but beware: EXPECT LANGUAGE AND SUBJECT MATTER THAT IS LIABLE TO OFFEND.

This is a recent discovery. It's production is faultless. All the rappers show they have mastered their craft but Eminem stands out. Obie Trice, LLoyd Banks, Eminem and 50 Cent. We All Die One Day.

Rakim is often featured on polls of the greatest MC's ever. Hip-Hop has the largest lexicon of any music form with a vocal element. I was listening to an Oxford academic presenting his research on BBC Radio 4. Rakim's syntax is complicated but his delivery is effortless. Eric B & Rakim, Follow The Leader (circa 1988)

His murder still remains unsolved, Christopher Wallace trading under the moniker The Notorious BIG and referring to himself as Biggie Smalls (hand up if you didn't know my user name was a nod to Christopher) was an artist that initially I dismissed. I call it "my way in" when I come across a track that "opens" a portal. Happened with Madonna, Girls Aloud and Taylor Swift. As an actor assumes a role, so do MC's in the narrative . Biggie takes on both role in this.

This guy had cold flow to use the parlance of the day. His record company mismanaged a guy that had great potential. Think this is a light and fluffy story? Vanilla Ice is recanting a tale of gun crime and drugs. This has withstood the passing of time.

https://youtu.be/rog8ou-ZepE

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I like hip-hop but mostly songs in Swedish.

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I really love these three recent(ish) albums.

'Extinction Level Event 2: The Wrath of God' by Busta Rhymes

'Conflict of Interest' by Ghetts

'The Long Goodbye' by Riz Ahmed

Last edited:

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
This is a genre that I'm not too familiar with. The only artists I have albums by are Dr Dre, Eminem, and MGK and I have no idea how hip-hop they actually are.

Biggie

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Happy Gilmore
Silver Bullet released one LP, to the best of my knowledge, with being one of the standout tracks.
Samples from Robcop are used throughout.

Biggie

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Happy Gilmore
A well known face on the underground art scene of the day. Debbie Harry noticed a new music from taking shape. Deciding to push boundaries she incorporated rap into the Blondie song Rapture.

In the background of the video street artist Lee and Fab 5 Freddy spraying the word "rap". Debbie breaks off into a rap and name checks Grandmaster Flash and Freddy. Rapture went on to be hugely successful, and is credited with taking hip-hop out of the inner cities and into the suburbs.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Maybe the reason that hip hop isn't discussed as much as it could be is because people often don't identify it as a genre of music in it's own right and use it interchangeably with rap and R&B.

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I like this new one by 42 Dugg and Roddy Ricch:

Maybe the reason that hip hop isn't discussed as much as it could be is because people often don't identify it as a genre of music in it's own right and use it interchangeably with rap and R&B.

I heard an interesting thing on a podcast the other day: that "rhythm" and "blues" were two entirely different genres of music until "rhythm and blues" became a replacement term for "race music" as a way of categorising Black music for the American charts (so you've got the pop chart, the country chart, the rhythm and blues chart). It was only then that people started thinking of rhythm and blues as one thing and started making "rhythm and blues" music. So the R&B category came first and the actual music followed! Same thing happened with "country" and "western" -- two separate genres that were merged into one which then became its own sound.

Biggie

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Happy Gilmore
I'm in agreement. I have noticed that the term "R&B" has become a catch all shorthand.

There is also a perception that Hip-hop glorifies violence and is misogynistic in nature. Which is understandable but incorrect.

Biggie

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Happy Gilmore
MC Lyte should have greater recognition. This is a example of "Girl Power" before the Spice Girls coined the phrase.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Silver Bullet released one LP, to the best of my knowledge, with being one of the standout tracks.
That was a blast from the past and I really enjoyed it.

There is also a perception that Hip-hop glorifies violence and is misogynistic in nature. Which is understandable but incorrect.
I'm curious about something. What makes one person think parts of Hip-hop glorifies violence and what makes another person says it's incorrect?

I haven't paid too much attention to many lyrics from Hip-hop, but now I'm finding it a fascinating subject. Do you think some rappers write offensive lyrics to be just that, offensive?

Biggie

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Happy Gilmore
Sil
That was a blast from the past and I really enjoyed it.

I'm curious about something. What makes one person think parts of Hip-hop glorifies violence and what makes another person says it's incorrect?

I haven't paid too much attention to many lyrics from Hip-hop, but now I'm finding it a fascinating subject. Do you think some rappers write offensive lyrics to be just that, offensive?
Silver Bullet was great, but he dropped off my radar never to be seen again. I hope he is prospering.

The idea that some rappers write to be offensive just for the sake of it holds water. The 2 Live Crew spring to mind. But the more credible artist and lyricist follow the well known mantra...Write about what you know about.

NWA's **** The Police was played out in streets of Minneapolis last year.

I've had conversations about music with numerous people that when the subject of Hip-hop is floated they have all been dismissive and implied that the narratives glorify violence.

My take away from the lyrics are anything but glorification, but narratives of young people dying needlessly. That said, often violence can be a metaphor for finding a way to express how they saw off the competition and made it to the top.

It's all encoded in the music, I enjoy deciphering the characters, the narrative and the message. If that makes sense.

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards