Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
from Follies of God

She doesnt miss and hit the wall either!!

1672500749982.png

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
So, it was the scripts that made her leave. I had heard some rumors indicating it was something else, but now we have the proof. Still, she did a valiant job with the material she was given that season.
I’d imagine it was a combination of things. The scripts being one but in the Paul Huson interview on here, I think he mentions that there were issues with Barbara memorising lines and so, her screen time was reduced. On rewatching, you can see from around a third of the way into the season, her appearances become less and less (I may be wrong but I think there were some episodes where she had a single scene). You can appreciate why she got pissed with the reduced prominence on the show and moved on. Ricardo Montalban had similar complaints about the writing, where he said he was basically doing the same script over and over, week after week.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
So, it was the scripts that made her leave. I had heard some rumors indicating it was something else, but now we have the proof. Still, she did a valiant job with the material she was given that season.

I've heard elsewhere that she suffered from a bad back and this was also a factor in her leaving. :)

Tony

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Although Barbara seems very sharp and lucid in the 1986 letter she wrote, Paul Huson's claims about memory loss are backed up by Kate O'Mara's recollections in her autobiography. At the 1985 Dynasty/Colbys launch party, Nolan Miller was introducing Babs around, and she didn't seem to know who most of the stars/characters were. I imagine the scripts would have been a challenge for her.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Although Barbara seems very sharp and lucid in the 1986 letter she wrote, Paul Huson's claims about memory loss are backed up by Kate O'Mara's recollections in her autobiography. At the 1985 Dynasty/Colbys launch party, Nolan Miller was introducing Babs around, and she didn't seem to know who most of the stars/characters were. I imagine the scripts would have been a challenge for her.

God Bless Her.

She was one of the best things about The Colbys.

May She Rest In Peace.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've heard elsewhere that she suffered from a bad back and this was also a factor in her leaving. :)

There’s a few other tidbits floating around online from either interviews or press coverage, as to why she joined the series in the first place and why she left. Paul Huson or William Bast mention in one of the interviews that they thought she’d only planned to do one season anyway as she needed the money. This ties in with another story that she only did the show because she needed the money after her house was damaged in a fire. The fire happened in June 1985 and her signing to the show was announced in July. There was also talk that she’d only agreed to do 13 episodes in the first season but then agreed to do more as she was enjoying the work. In hindsight, this may have been a cover to explain her sporadic appearances as the season wore on. Around March 1986, she’s quoted as saying she didn’t enjoy getting up at 4am every day, so had asked to only be included in 7 episodes of season two. However, by the summer, it was announced that she wouldn’t be back for season two as she didn’t like how her character had been developed and wanted producers to kill Connie off, so that there’d be no pressure on her to return. I’m sure we’ve discussed all of this before but that’s it in a nutshell. A lot of the above info, I’ve gleaned from here:

Interestingly, one of the stipulations of her contract was that she apparently didn’t have to do any press for the show.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Ricardo talks about Stanwyck...

The fact that they only had one scene together during that whole first year is pretty startling. Why wouldn't the writers exploit that potential, even just a little bit? (But Linda didn't really have any with her either on DYNASTY).

I always want Zach Powers' character combined with the Moldavian king, who spins off to THE COLBYS once Alexis divorces him shortly after they're de-posed and Coup'd midway through Season 6 and sent packing back to Denver. I like the idea of Costance (the name is way too PEYTON PLACE-y for my taste, by the way) having played a role in funding the massacre in Europe, possibly due to unrequited love-ish-ness for Zach/Galen (who had briefly made Alexis his queen, and slept with her mother, Minx Morell, years before -- both of whom Stanwyck naturally hates). But then that threatens to get too THORNBIRDS-y...

Speaking of doing "crap," Frank Langella -- who did a ZORO made-for-TV movie circa 1974 with Montalban -- ran into his old co-star sometime in the '80s; Frank asked what he was up to, and Montalban responded, "Just crap."

Connycredit.jpg

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
Here he is on Letterman in April 87, talking quite nicely about the Colbys and says the complete opposite, that every script is different and a huge surprise. :lol:
At the end of the interview he says that he doesn't know if it's renewed yet (for season 3) and maybe still hoped it would continue... we all know how that turned out. :(
But he does do some Dynasty bashing instead, about his scene with Alexis. That fits right onto what Kate O'Mara said, that they were making things up as they went along.

Last edited:

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That fits right onto what Kate O'Mara said, that they were making things up as they went along.
Kate told a similar story to Ricardo re: Dynasty when she was on Gloria Hunniford’s show. Gloria said something about “looking good and knowing your lines” and Kate joked that she didn’t think it mattered whether you knew your lines or not. The most important thing was to look good.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Kate told a similar story to Ricardo re: Dynasty when she was on Gloria Hunniford’s show. Gloria said something about “looking good and knowing your lines” and Kate joked that she didn’t think it mattered whether you knew your lines or not. The most important thing was to look good.
Caress did deserve her own spinoff!!

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Here he is on Letterman in April 87, talking quite nicely about the Colbys and says the complete opposite, that every script is different and a huge surprise. :lol:
At the end of the interview he says that he doesn't know if it's renewed yet (for season 3) and maybe still hoped it would continue... we all know how that turned out. :(
But he does do some Dynasty bashing instead, about his scene with Alexis. That fits right onto what Kate O'Mara said, that they were making things up as they went along.

Oh that interview is too funny! Maybelle is out of jail!

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie

Kate actually missed being back in the UK and found Dynasty a grind. I remember reading this in one of my Doctor Who Magazine's years ago. Apparently she sent John Nathan-Turner (the then Doctor Who Producer) a postcard about how she missed working on the show and would love to come back. Kate starred as the Rani alongside Colin Baker's Doctor in the 1985 story The Mark of the Rani. She did return to Doctor Who in the 1987 series opener Time and the Rani. :)

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
Absolutely, bombastic and epic and my alltime favorite theme, a masterpiece!

lbf522

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I did not blame Barbara Stanwyck for leaving the Colbys. They wasted her talents no garbage storylines and dialogue. There were possibilities to go with Constance who was the eldest Colby sibling and the head of the family and the Family company.