Be Kind Rewind

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The latest BKR episode:

I'm actually quite excited about this one.
I’m quite interested in this one as well. With that movie it’s so hard to separate fact from fiction as far as what went on behind the scenes but I have to admit I do find it highly entertaining to watch.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I watched the WIZARD OF OZ video a few days ago. Overall, it didn't have a whole lot of information I didn't already know, and I ended up disappointed. It seemed like a little bit of a wasted video for BKR, but I appreciate the channel's dedication to analyzing classic movies. Still, I wish BKR would do some of the videos I've suggested.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Another BKR video dropped today. I haven't the foggiest who this woman even is.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Not surprising. She's an obscure actress who appeared in an obscure film, but who garnered an Oscar nomination thanks to an artificially inflated grassroots campaign that bumped up against, but didn't cross the threshold, of inappropriateness.
When I mentioned on YouTube that I hadn't even heard of this woman, I received a little backlash. Nothing severe, but two or three of them were shocked that I hadn't heard of her before. I explained that I have interest in modern cinema or its actors. And then the question became why I even clicked on the video. Some people are going to nit pick everything.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’ve always wanted to see this but admittedly have never gotten around to watching it in its entirety. I never knew that it swept the Oscars that year.
The BKR video was insightful and good, but I've yet to see IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I really enjoyed the comparison and analysis of MILDRED PIERCE.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A quirky video about quirky old women doing quirky things in the movies for money.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Not a mega Cloris Leachman fan, but this video was pretty good.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The first BKR video I've been excited about in a while....

Gore Vidal knew Garbo -- or claims he did (never claiming to have slept with her, as Langella might've) -- when he was young. He says Garbo's career was really killed because she was "lazy," and that the European market dried up in the '40s due to WW2 (and because she was never quite as popular with the American audience). She was preparing to do a big comeback picture at one point until Howard Hughes ("one of the great sons-of-bitches of all time," a common description for Hughes repeated almost verbatim numerous times by numerous people) bought RKO and killed the project.

Vidal said, "Oh, I'm too old!," was a common refrain from Garbo as to why she waved away many attempts to woo her back into movies.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
He says Garbo's career was really killed because she was "lazy,"
I've heard tell she hated to rehearse, hated to wear shoes (she wore slippers out of camera view a lot), and only watched her dailies if they were ran backwards.

that the European market dried up in the '40s due to WW2 (and because she was never quite as popular with the American audience).
She was one of the biggest box office draws at the tail end of the silent era and at the dawn of the talkies. Most agree her partnership with Salka Viertel aided in her decline in popularity.

Viertel, as one noted, had "an idea of Garbo that was very unlike the one made famous in silent movies and early talkies." The remoteness that became more prevalent in Garbo's screen roles pushed her away from the average American moviegoer, who favored actresses like Myrna Loy and Jean Harlow.

The success of Garbo's films after QUEEN CHRISTINA (1933) depended on the revenue generated overseas. She was proclaimed "box office poison" -- along with a host of others -- in 1938. It was the comedy NINOTCHKA (1939) that revived her career.

Vidal said, "Oh, I'm too old!," was a common refrain from Garbo as to why she waved away many attempts to woo her back into movies.
Billy Wilder apparently approached her to play Norma Desmond in SUNSET BOULEVARD, but Garbo had no interest whatsoever -- which, as I assume, Wilder already knew.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
We've discussed it here before, but one thing that irks me about the BKR channel is how the narrator inserts a twenty-first century ideology and wokeness into her analysis on classic cinema.

She does just that in her newest video on Greta Garbo and her swan song film, TWO-FACED WOMAN (1941). She stresses the fact of how silly it was for the Catholic Legion of Decency to protest the adultness of the film and its attitude towards marriage and adultery. But this was 1941. Such things weren't the topic of big screen comedies. That's what the Production Code was instituted for.

But, anyway, I've never seen all the bad criticism for TWO-FACED WOMAN. Sure, the movie isn't very good, nor it is particularly well-suited to Garbo's comedic strengths, but it's not all bad. But, I must admit, that I've always rooted for the underdog.

Well, anyway, I enjoy the BKR videos. I just wish she'd keep in mind these movies are from another era that didn't share her twenty-first century liberalized ideas.

1709438381054.png

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
We've discussed it here before, but one thing that irks me about the BKR channel is how the narrator inserts a twenty-first century ideology and wokeness into her analysis on classic cinema.

She does just that in her newest video on Greta Garbo and her swan song film, TWO-FACED WOMAN (1941). She stresses the fact of how silly it was for the Catholic Legion of Decency to protest the adultness of the film and its attitude towards marriage and adultery. But this was 1941. Such things weren't the topic of big screen comedies. That's what the Production Code was instituted for.

But, anyway, I've never seen all the bad criticism for TWO-FACED WOMAN. Sure, the movie isn't very good, nor it is particularly well-suited to Garbo's comedic strengths, but it's not all bad. But, I must admit, that I've always rooted for the underdog.

Well, anyway, I enjoy the BKR videos. I just wish she'd keep in mind these movies are from another era that didn't share her twenty-first century liberalized ideas.

View attachment 51360

Yes, there's a dash of woke revisionism in the BKR videos. I'm just grateful it's not too extreme. (She concedes she gets some backlash for this).

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, there's a dash of woke revisionism in the BKR videos. I'm just grateful it's not too extreme. (She concedes she gets some backlash for this).
You're right. She does admit to having opinions that aren't always shared by those watching her videos.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
BKR just dropped a new video: