Best "Dracula" movies ...?

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
I finally watched DRACULA '79 and at first I wasn't sure if it was going to work. The castle still looks like a Transylvanian monstrosity so what was the point of bringing him to England?
The English characters live in a sanatorium and there's always total chaos going on, I just couldn't figure out why it had to be there at all. And apart from these characters there's no sense of place, let alone England, at all.
Donald Pleasence, usually an actor with great screen presence, is even less colourful than the film itself.
Frank Langella's "Saturday Blood Fever" look also didn't help to sell it as a monster movie, but then the more I watched the more I wondered if there was some Freudian metaphorical subtext going on.
Could it be that this Dracula is more like a symptom, the decay and damnation as a result of giving in to one's sexual and perverse desires?
Did Mina die of hysteria because she couldn't deal with it? Did all the other men try to nip a sexual revolution in the bud?
In the final scene, did Lucy smile because she thought her devilish lover had escaped, or because she knew that her female sexual spirit hadn't been broken - despite the many efforts by all the other men in her life?
What is our dark side, and how dark is dark? Who decides that? When does "help" become a witch hunt?

View attachment 41878
Nobody does it better....so seventies.
That was a good Dracula movie, good script well cast, good effects for its time, and an ending that was open to interpretation.

Snarky Oracle

Telly Talk Oracle
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
If you're not a Capricorn, you're just not Superman. Or the Grinch.