• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Bowie..will live on Forever and Ever!

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I've just been reading a review about the David Bowie biopic film called STARDUST
O-M-G!!! What an exciting sentence this is.

:roll:

So what could go wrong?
Oh, this always happens at some point when a movie is about someone I love, or someone I am interested to watch.

and then it gets even worse ...
WTF is wrong with people who have the means and talent to do something like this and then screw it up completely?

for once I'm completely lost for words
I'm between angered and disappointed that an opportunity to become one of the greatest musical biopics is ruined for some really basic idiotic choices. I mean, why would anyone attempt to do something like this and not get the rights to play the original songs????

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards

The Royal Mint launches new David Bowie coins worth £70,000 - here's how to get one​

1607338949267.png

THE ROYAL MINT has launched a commemorative coin to celebrate the iconic musician David Bowie. The coins will be available to buy today.

The Royal Mint will release commemorative coins to mark special occasions. From today, music fans will be able to get their hands on a piece featuring the legend David Bowie.
The 'David Bowie' coin is the third in The Royal Mint's 'Music Legends' collection.

It follows the release of coins that celebrate rock band Queen and music icon Elton John.

David Bowie was an English singer and songwriter best known for hits including Starman, Let's Dance and Life on Mars.

The singer, who died in 2016, will be commemorated on a selection of coins.

Each piece has a face value that ranges from £1 to a staggering £1,000.

David Bowie 2020 UK Brilliant Uncirculated Commemorative Coin

The brilliant uncirculated coins will be available in four editions with prices ranging from £13 to £15.

David Bowie 2020 UK Silver Proof Commemorative Coin

The silver coins come in denominations of £1, £2, £5 and £10.

They have a limited mintage and range in price from £65 to £520.

David Bowie 2020 UK Gold Proof Commemorative Coin

The gold versions of the coins are the rarest in the collection.

The starting price for this edition is a hefty £615.

The David Bowie 2020 UK Kilo Gold Proof Coin has a denomination of £1,000 and only 11 of the pieces have been made.

1607339082741.png

The rare coin comes with a valuation of £72,195.

To celebrate it's release, the coin was sent into space and reached a height of 35,656m.

In a first for UK coins, it orbited the Earth's atmosphere for 45 minutes before returning.

The coin in question is now available as a competition prize on The Royal Mint's Facebook page.

Divisional director of commemorative coin at The Royal Mint Clare Maclennan said: “We are thrilled to unveil the third coin in The Royal Mint’s ‘Music Legends’ series, honouring the intergalactic legacy and career of David Bowie.

1607339155961.png

"In recognition of Bowie’s first hit single ‘Space Oddity’, we felt it was fitting to send his coin into space and celebrate the Starman in his own pioneering fashion.

"David Bowie’s music has inspired and influenced generations of musicians and we hope this commemorative coin will be cherished by fans around the world.”

The Royal Mint has already brought out a range of commemorative coins this year.

It previously launched designs to celebrate diversity and inclusivity in the UK.

Special edition coins were also released inspired by James Bond and Winnie the Pooh.

Long Lashes

Telly Talk Enforcer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie

The Royal Mint launches new David Bowie coins worth £70,000 - here's how to get one​

THE ROYAL MINT has launched a commemorative coin to celebrate the iconic musician David Bowie. The coins will be available to buy today.

The Royal Mint will release commemorative coins to mark special occasions. From today, music fans will be able to get their hands on a piece featuring the legend David Bowie.
The 'David Bowie' coin is the third in The Royal Mint's 'Music Legends' collection.

It follows the release of coins that celebrate rock band Queen and music icon Elton John.

David Bowie was an English singer and songwriter best known for hits including Starman, Let's Dance and Life on Mars.

The singer, who died in 2016, will be commemorated on a selection of coins.

Each piece has a face value that ranges from £1 to a staggering £1,000.

David Bowie 2020 UK Brilliant Uncirculated Commemorative Coin

The brilliant uncirculated coins will be available in four editions with prices ranging from £13 to £15.

David Bowie 2020 UK Silver Proof Commemorative Coin

The silver coins come in denominations of £1, £2, £5 and £10.

They have a limited mintage and range in price from £65 to £520.

David Bowie 2020 UK Gold Proof Commemorative Coin

The gold versions of the coins are the rarest in the collection.

The starting price for this edition is a hefty £615.

The David Bowie 2020 UK Kilo Gold Proof Coin has a denomination of £1,000 and only 11 of the pieces have been made.

The rare coin comes with a valuation of £72,195.

To celebrate it's release, the coin was sent into space and reached a height of 35,656m.

In a first for UK coins, it orbited the Earth's atmosphere for 45 minutes before returning.

The coin in question is now available as a competition prize on The Royal Mint's Facebook page.

Divisional director of commemorative coin at The Royal Mint Clare Maclennan said: “We are thrilled to unveil the third coin in The Royal Mint’s ‘Music Legends’ series, honouring the intergalactic legacy and career of David Bowie.

"In recognition of Bowie’s first hit single ‘Space Oddity’, we felt it was fitting to send his coin into space and celebrate the Starman in his own pioneering fashion.

"David Bowie’s music has inspired and influenced generations of musicians and we hope this commemorative coin will be cherished by fans around the world.”

The Royal Mint has already brought out a range of commemorative coins this year.

It previously launched designs to celebrate diversity and inclusivity in the UK.

Special edition coins were also released inspired by James Bond and Winnie the Pooh.
Ooo thank you for posting this Ome. I don't do facebook, so I've just borrowed someone else's account to enter the competition to win one of these coins :pray:

If I win, I will let you know :D

Long Lashes

Telly Talk Enforcer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Iman is on the front cover of HARPERS BAZAAR magazine this month and she had this to say about David...

"David is in our hearts and minds on a daily basis, for all of us. You know, this was my true love. My daughter once asked me if I would ever marry again and I said, "never".' 'It was a really everyday marriage. He was a very funny, warm gentleman – you know, everyone talks about him being futuristic, but no, he was not, he liked more than anything to wear a three-piece suit."

'It was a beautiful, ordinary life and that was what was great about it. We could live in New York, pick up our daughter from school, walk everywhere... You know, I wish we had had more years.'

"He's hiding in plain sight. His fans are still around, his music is still relevant. And on the day of his passing, I went on a hike and a bluebird flew in front of me. A bluebird, above all things!"

"David was a painter; my daughter is a painter. I never painted in my life, so I've taken it up. I learnt that I don't have to be good at something to start doing it. Just get out of your own way, go for it. I do get lonely, but I'm one of those people – thank God – who likes my own company."

They were so well suited and Iman (now age 65) still looks sensational ...

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
It's 5 years today sine we lost Bowie.

What followed on Celebrity Big Brother could not have been written, this was and still is one of the funniest moments in the history of the show, one that I'm sure Bowie himself would love to have seen.

Long Lashes

Telly Talk Enforcer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
It's 5 years today sine we lost Bowie.

What followed on Celebrity Big Brother could not have been written, this was and still is one of the funniest moments in the history of the show, one that I'm sure Bowie himself would love to have seen.

I will never ever forget watching that!

I was already feeling very emotional and at first I thought - "wow, Tiffany must have been a huge Bowie fan" - and as it all unfolded my emotions went from went from ... :cry: ... then quickly to .... :eck::eck: :eck:....... and eventually to ...:floor::floor: :floor:

one that I'm sure Bowie himself would love to have seen.
That whole farce created by Angie and Tiffany would've suited Bowies sense of humour perfectly , how I wish he could've witnessed it himself or maybe he did, who knows? :)

Long Lashes

Telly Talk Enforcer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
I was just reading about this concert held on-line to mark David Bowies anniversary.

"Presented by pianist Mike Garson, Bowie’s longest-standing band member, A Bowie Celebration honoured some of the music legend’s most beloved and enduring songs with a three-hour concert. The setlist not only boasted some of the greatest rock and pop songs of all time, but an all-star roster of performers, as acclaimed musicians covered Bowie’s greatest hits, backed by Garson and a live band – with every one of Bowie’s studio albums represented by at least one alumni band member."

"Queen frontman Adam Lambert provided one of the standout moments of the night, performing a theatrical version of the classic song Starman. Dressed in teal satin and sparkling silver jewellery, the 38-year-old went all out with glittering eye make-up and green lipstick as he brought his powerhouse vocals for a glam rock inspired rendition of the 1969 song."

"UK star Yungblud got to take on one of Bowie’s defining songs, singing Life On Mars, and the 23-year-old seemed overwhelmed as he watched his performance online from home The singer, real name Dominic Harrison, shared a video of himself watching a video of him hitting the high notes, with a friend saying: ‘Well done lad.’ Yungblud wrote: ‘Best moment of my entire life’, and changed his Twitter name to YUNGBLUD’s on mars."

"Duran Duran kicked off the concert with a cover of Five Years, before Lena Hall and Lzzy Hale performed a virtual duet of Moonage Daydream. Smashing Pumpkins star Billy Corgan covered Space Oddity, with Perry Farrell and Etty Lau Farrell singing The Man Who Sold The World. Slipknot’s Corey Taylor took on Little Fat Man and Hang On To Yourself, while Nine Inch Nails’ Trent Reznor took the lead on Fantastic Voyage and Fashion, helped by Atticus Ross. Dave Navarro was joined by Taylor Hawkins and Chris Chaney on Rock ’n’ Roll Suicide, and Dexter star Michael C Hall, who starred as Bowie in the musical Lazarus, gave a powerful performance of Where Are We Now? Gossip Girl star Taylor Momsen sang Quicksand, Def Leppard’s Joe Elliott covered Win and Ziggy Stardust, and Judith Hill and Andra Day stood in for Bowie and Freddie Mercury for a duet of Under Pressure."

"Ian Hunter sang All The Young Dudes, Ian Astbury covered Lazarus, Macy Gray performed Changes, Gail Ann Dorsey sang Strangers When We Meet, Suffragette City was performed by Peter Frampton, and The Jean Genie was taken on by Jesse Malin. Charlie Sexton performed Rebel Rebel, Let’s Dance, DJ and Blue Jean, Judith Hill performed Lady Stardust, and Catherine Russell sang Conversation Piece. Bernard Fowler sang Candidate and Sweet Thing, and closed the show with a cover of Heroes."

"The show was initially set to broadcast on Saturday night, but Covid restrictions shifted it by 24 hours. A statement from Rolling Live Studios read: ‘We’ve been working around the clock for months putting together an amazing show for you. Due to the difficulties in the world and the situation with COVID in Los Angeles, we’ve had to move the show 24 hours to tomorrow at the same time. Hang in there with us – just for one day.’ However, the show went off without a hitch as it aired at 2am GMT (6pm PT on Saturday 9 January), with viewers paying $25 (£18) for tickets."

:bowing:bowing:bowing:bowing

Ooo..! I desperately need to find some videos of this! :roll:

Long Lashes

Telly Talk Enforcer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
There are so many fantastic iconic images of Bowie and I wanted to post one on here today.

I chose this one as I think its beautiful.

David Bowie with his daughter Lexi

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Presented by pianist Mike Garson, Bowie’s longest-standing band member, A Bowie Celebration honoured some of the music legend’s most beloved and enduring songs with a three-hour concert.
I had no idea.

Here's a thing, on Friday I was browsing through new songs on Spotify. I clocked that Duran Duran had a new tune FIVE YEARS, my immediate reaction was it's the same title of one of my favourite Bowies songs, it never occurred to me that it was a cover and so I never listened to it. All the rest is a complete surprise to me and of course, the first thing I did reading this post was was jump onto YT and find this.

Floor.jpg

We need an album, I want all these available on Spotify and maybe a CD that I could buy.

Long Lashes

Telly Talk Enforcer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
I had no idea.
Nor did I until I read about it this morning.

Here's a thing, on Friday I was browsing through new songs on Spotify. I clocked that Duran Duran had a new tune FIVE YEARS, my immediate reaction was it's the same title of one of my favourite Bowies songs, it never occurred to me that it was a cover and so I never listened to it.
I suppose we would never think that Duran Duran would do a Bowie cover.

the first thing I did reading this post was was jump onto YT and find this.
Oh well done, I looked on YT and couldn't find anything.

Crikey, that's completely floored me, it really has, wow!! I was smiling and holding back the tears all at the same time.

That's my favourite song by Bowie and even when he was alive I always found it emotional. Since his death LIFE ON MARS gives me goose bumps every single time. YUNGBLUD can be very proud, because that performance was incredible! He even slicked his hair back like Bowie :D watching him singing his heart out whilst accompanied by Bowies own band, I could see how he was almost overwhelmed at this honour.

Its also funny, because I love MARS by YUNGBLUD and the other day I thought to myself its almost like YUNGBLUDS song has a connection to LIFE ON MARS, I know it doesn't, but I felt like it did for me ... if you know what I mean? :lol:

We need an album,
We flipping do! If the organisers have any sense they will release all the performances on an album and give the proceeds to charity :pray:

Last edited:

Long Lashes

Telly Talk Enforcer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie

This is beautiful! :10:

Simon-Le-Bon does not disappoint, its very emotional to hear this.

EDIT

Just found these ...

Bernard Fowler singing Heroes

Adam Lambert singing Starman

this is a great performance! :kiss:

That's all I can find for now, but I think the other performances might eventually appear on YT (I hope!) Wow, all this has made my day.

Last edited:

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I suppose we would never think that Duran Duran would do a Bowie cover.
I remember them covering White Lines in the 90s and I think its from an album of covers. It's not something I think I've listened to. Yet!

Its also funny, because I love MARS by YUNGBLUD and the other day I thought to myself its almost like YUNGBLUDS song has a connection to LIFE ON MARS, I know it doesn't, but I felt like it did for me ... if you know what I mean?
Haha! At Christmas, I had Mars in our playlist and I put Life on Mars as the single that would follow, obviously very different songs, but I do enjoy the "is there life on mars" from both songs.

Simon-Le-Bon does not disappoint, its very emotional to hear this.
I've been playing this on Spotify, it's a current favourite and I think they do the song justice.

Bernard Fowler singing Heroes
Brilliant.

Adam Lambert singing Starman
Stunning.

Wow, all this has made my day.

It's given me Goosebumps

Long Lashes

Telly Talk Enforcer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
I'm slowly (very slowly) making my way through "A Bowie Celebration" I will just post the best (imho) highlights on here, although, if anyone else comes across some personal favourites then please do add them. All the songs are not on YT yet, hopefully they will eventually be as I wanted to hear Macy Gray singing "Changes".

Another poignant performance, this time its by Gail Ann Dorsey who played Bass Guitar for Bowie from 1995 onwards. She sings the haunting "Stranger's When We Meet"

Nine Inch Nails and Mariqueen Maandig gave a very fine interpretation of "Fashion"

...and of course all the artists were accompanied by the talented Mike Garson who organised this memorial concert and who played the piano for David Bowie for over 34 years.

Last edited:

Long Lashes

Telly Talk Enforcer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Someone keeps stealing our videos from the Bowie Concert :yikey:

I will try again.

Catherine Russell sang the beautiful and poetic - CONVERSATION PIECE

I'm going to re-post YUNGBLUD, not only because the video of him singing LIFE ON MARS from above has vanished, but also because on this copy we hear Mike Garson saying that the prominent piano accompanying him is being played by Rick Wakeman (who played the piano on the original version from 1971)

Considering I was very unsure about hearing anyone else covering this song by Bowie, I have to say that I've listened to YUNGBLUDS version several times now and he gets me every single time, I'm still stunned at how fantastic he sounds. Hearing him sing this song, shows off what a great singer he really is and just how much emotion he gives to the music and lyrics.

Last edited:

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Stranger's When We Meet
Oh wow, that's fantastic. I'm not aware of this song, so I had to do Bowie too and I've added it to my current playlist.

Nine Inch Nails and Mariqueen Maandig gave a very fine interpretation of "Fashion"
It's gone, but I found this

Someone keeps stealing our videos from the Bowie Concert
It gets worse, the video you posted of Catherine Russell has gone

I don't think my little guy would be able to solve this one

1611482424279.png

I'm going to re-post YUNGBLUD, not only because the video of him singing LIFE ON MARS from above has vanished,
Success, we still have this and Duran Duran. I keep checking Spotify to see if any of the covers end up on there.

I really need all these released.

Long Lashes

Telly Talk Enforcer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
...and of course all the artists were accompanied by the talented Mike Garson who organised this memorial concert and who played the piano for David Bowie for over 34 years.
I've just been reading how Mike Garson played piano for both Bowie's first and last concerts (as well as 1,000 concerts in between)

When they spoke via email for the last time Mike said :- “Right before he died, I was working on my biography and was asked to listen 60 songs we’d recorded together. I was overwhelmed, because I never usually listened to our old songs – like David, I’ll be on to the next thing. I emailed him, saying I was in shock at how good we’d been"

“Within minutes, David wrote back saying, ‘Mike, we did a great body of work together."

That was an understatement to say the least :)

Long Lashes

Telly Talk Enforcer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Gail Ann Dorsey who played Bass Guitar for Bowie from 1995 onwards. She sings the haunting "Stranger's When We Meet"
Apparently Gail Dorsey also worked with Tears For Fears... ..I never knew o_O

I've just looked on Wiki and from 1993 to 1996, Dorsey recorded and toured with Tears For Fears and collaborated on song writing with the band. She appeared in several of the band's promo videos throughout this period.

The Tears For Fears album RAOUL AND THE KINGS OF SPAIN credits Gail Dorsey for bass guitar and co writing the song QUEEN OF COMPROMISE

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I never knew
Wow!!!

Just shows what a small world we live in. I love little facts like these and learning how background singers/musicians play essential roles with other artists.

Speaking of Tears for Fears, I found out recently that musician Chris Hughes who worked with the band on their second album was the drummer with Adam & the Ants.

I knew of Chris Hughes through Tears for Fears
I knew Chris 'Merrick' Hughes from Adam and the Ants.

I didn't know they were the same person and if I did know (back in the 80s) I had completely forgotten about it.

It was always Marco, Merrick, Terry Lee, Gary Tibbs and yours truly....