Brexit Has Made Irish Unification More Likely

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
...or even inevitable. A new opinion poll commissioned by The Sunday Times found that a majority of people in Northern Ireland (51 per cent) would like there to be a referendum on the reunification of Ireland within five years. Of those who voted, only 47 per cent favoured staying in the UK, while 42 per cent wanted a united Ireland and 11 per cent remained undecided.

The consequence of voting Brexit will be the break up of the United Kingdom.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Amen to that. As much as I hate what Brexit is doing - Ireland needs to unite now. I’m tired of our country being the poo on the sole of the ‘United’ Kingdom’s shoe and I feel we can only benefit from looking after ourselves. The only downside is that there are loyalists who will never accept this and it could lead to a return to The Troubles.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Amen to that. As much as I hate what Brexit is doing - Ireland needs to unite now. I’m tired of our country being the poo on the sole of the ‘United’ Kingdom’s shoe and I feel we can only benefit from looking after ourselves. The only downside is that there are loyalists who will never accept this and it could lead to a return to The Troubles.
I love the people of Northern Ireland and I would be so disappointed if their voted to leave the United Kingdom but I think a united Ireland is inevitable. I don't think it will happen within the next 10 years but it is more likely to happen a some point during my lifetime.

We were all warned this would be a consequence of voting for Brexit and now those predictions appear to be coming true.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I love the people of Northern Ireland and I would be so disappointed if their voted to leave the United Kingdom but I think a united Ireland is inevitable. I don't think it will happen within the next 10 years but it is more likely to happen a some point during my lifetime.

We were all warned this would be a consequence of voting for Brexit and now those predictions appear to be coming true.
Thank you for saying this, it means a lot. I think as a nation many of us are just sick now of not actually having our own identity. We get to choose, because we have dual citizenship but it is like being a bit lost too. Where do we belong?

And then we get dragged into every UK decision but don’t actually have any real say in things. Like we didn’t vote for Boris, but he’s our PM. I know people who voted for the disgusting DUP added to this situation but we don’t want him. Added to the debacle of the poor decision making over Covid and his lack of authority over the 4 nations and the confusion surrounding it all.

The majority of clear and forward thinking people of the province have had enough. We voted NO to Brexit by a big majority but get dragged into that too.

I want away from it all and if and when it happens, the look on Arlene Foster’s face that her actions have actually led to the one thing she is so against, will be a victory.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thank you for saying this, it means a lot. I think as a nation many of us are just sick now of not actually having our own identity. We get to choose, because we have dual citizenship but it is like being a bit lost too. Where do we belong?

And then we get dragged into every UK decision but don’t actually have any real say in things. Like we didn’t vote for Boris, but he’s our PM. I know people who voted for the disgusting DUP added to this situation but we don’t want him. Added to the debacle of the poor decision making over Covid and his lack of authority over the 4 nations and the confusion surrounding it all.

The majority of clear and forward thinking people of the province have had enough. We voted NO to Brexit by a big majority but get dragged into that too.

I want away from it all and if and when it happens, the look on Arlene Foster’s face that her actions have actually led to the one thing she is so against, will be a victory.
I agree with you. If London had an Independence referendum I would vote to leave the United Kingdom. I'm truly appalled by the direction our country is going in and the rising xenophobia stoked up by the government forced on us by other parts of the UK.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I agree with you. If London had an Independence referendum I would vote to leave the United Kingdom. I'm truly appalled by the direction our country is going in and the rising xenophobia stoked up by the government forced on us by other parts of the UK.
NI is so separated in so many ways, and we are forever feeling the influence and heavy handedness of England. Do you ever feel pressure by Wales NI or Scotland?

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
NI is so separated in so many ways, and we are forever feeling the influence and heavy handedness of England. Do you ever feel pressure by Wales NI or Scotland?
No, but I feel pressure from other parts of England outside of London. In the last 4 general elections London voted for a Labour government but we had an right-wing Tory one trust upon us each time by other parts of the country. The capital overwhelmingly voted to remain in the EU but other parts of England voted to force us to leave. London has some racial disharmony but but the levels of racism and xenophobia in other parts of England is quite scary and I find it sickening that parts of this country would vote to elect fascist National Front MEPs. Overall, it makes me feel I have more in common with people of Germany, The Netherlands and Spain than with some people in my own country.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Yes I can understand that @Angela Channing. It’s similar to my own experience of people here who continue to vote for the ‘dinosauristic’ DUP. I have nothing in common with people who hate homosexuals, support hunting, oppose gay marriage, don’t want the same rights for LGBTQ members etc, which is why I am disgusted by Brexit and long to be part of a more open minded society. Even the Republic of Ireland is more forward thinking than the North about most of these issues. It’s very difficult being born in a place where such bigoted values still exist, but you have an opposite view. But maybe it is the same everywhere.

Canon

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Scotland is heading towards independence first. This will have a significant impact on a referendum in NI as the NI Unionists links to the Scottish Unionists run deep - what exactly is the UK without Scotland?

The full results from the Sunday Times poll as regards the state of the union are interesting...and funny ("English independence" :oops: )...

20210125_181501.jpg

20210125_181503.jpg

Look who's bothered...

20210125_181505.jpg

Last edited:

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
What gets me is that the people who don’t want a United Ireland are mostly made up of a bunch of bigots who think they still live in 1690.

And then there’s this. I’m horrified and have no idea why this isn’t being more widely broadcast. How DARE this prime minister refer to us in these terms. Absolute disgrace.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Scotland is heading towards independence first. This will have a significant impact on a referendum in NI as the NI Unionists links to the Scottish Unionists run deep - what exactly is the UK without Scotland?

The full results from the Sunday Times poll as regards the state of the union are interesting...and funny ("English independence" :oops: )...

View attachment 24660

View attachment 24661

Look who's bothered...

View attachment 24662
There is a real risk of a domino effect. The most likely country to leave first will be Scotland and if they make a success of it, I can see Northern Ireland leaving shortly afterwards. Support for Welsh independence remains low although it has doubled in recent years and I think it will grow further.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I think Nicola Sturgeon is fab - she doesn’t give a crap what Westminster says and does what is best for Scotland.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think Nicola Sturgeon is fab - she doesn’t give a crap what Westminster says and does what is best for Scotland.
She certainly is a more decisive and effective leader of Scotland than the clown we have leading the UK.

Ollie james

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Intersting reading this im from the south of Ireland still very much in the EU and happy to be there. I work in retail and already brexit is effecting out ability to get a supply of some products from Uk companies. The whole thing is a pure headache already.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Intersting reading this im from the south of Ireland still very much in the EU and happy to be there. I work in retail and already brexit is effecting out ability to get a supply of some products from Uk companies. The whole thing is a pure headache already.
UK good will become less competitive because of the additional costs on them from the tariffs now we are no longer in the single market. The gap will be filled by suppliers in the EU ultimately leading to job loses here.

What exactly are the benefits of Brexit? I'm yet to see them.

Ollie james

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
UK good will become less competitive because of the additional costs on them from the tariffs now we are no longer in the single market. The gap will be filled by suppliers in the EU ultimately leading to job loses here.

What exactly are the benefits of Brexit? I'm yet to see them.
Already if u want to return an item u have brought online from a Uk company u will have to pay 11 euro and fill in a form which can take up to 10 minutes of your time at the local post office...we just wont buy online from the Uk anymore..

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
While I see the advantage of Northern Ireland to be a part of Ireland again and their likely supported by the EU since Ireland was always a reliable Pro-EU country I don't see the path for a splitted United Kingdom if Scotland becomes independent. Are people in England and Wales aware that their destiny is to be on a level with the countries who were the former Yugoslavia? The ignorance they showed towards Northern Ireland and Scotland is how they will be viewed by other countries in their own future.

Last edited: