Characters You'd Recast

Ray_Krebbs

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I watched a recent video of Sarah Douglas, a British actress from Falcon Crest, and got the immediate thought that she could have been convincing as Vanessa. I think she could have added a mysterious edge to the character, looked more like James, and I could believe JR would fall in love with her. Do you have any ideas?

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I wish Lucy had been played by an actress who could pull off the vixen role a bit better than Charlene did. Perhaps they wouldn’t have felt the need to tailor the role into a nice girl to better suit Charlene’s talents, and the character would have been more interesting. Someone like Pamela Sue Martin (but a bit younger).

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Callie! That doe-eyed hapless woman did nothing interesting on a series like Dallas.

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I wish Lucy had been played by an actress who could pull off the vixen role a bit better than Charlene did. Perhaps they wouldn’t have felt the need to tailor the role into a nice girl to better suit Charlene’s talents, and the character would have been more interesting. Someone like Pamela Sue Martin (but a bit younger).
I can see what you're saying and I did like Pamela Sue Martin (well from what I saw of her decades later on Dynasty and mostly from being Nancy Drew). But I did like Lucy for what she was. And in the Art of War the "nice girl" can be far worse than an vixen if they'd gone that way.

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Jenna seems obvious. I know some favor Morgan Fairchild, but I'm not wild about any of the actresses who played Jenna.

My problem with Morgan F is that both her style and characterization was very similar to Morgan B as Katherine, so playing Jenna in the same manner would have been redundant. Priscilla was fine as a more likeable Jenna, but her acting wasn't up to some of the more demanding storylines. I've never mentally recast Jenna so I have no one specific in mind, but a better actress than Priscilla and warmer than Morgan F would have been an improvement.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
SASHA MITCHELL!

Seriously, you can't tell me there's another blonde hunk out there that actually DOES have acting chops? Didn't Knots cast a young Doug Savant at the same time as a young Mack (or was that even earlier?); if so they could've just re-cast him as JRs bastard son.

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Jenna seems obvious. I know some favor Morgan Fairchild, but I'm not wild about any of the actresses who played Jenna.

My problem with Morgan F is that both her style and characterization was very similar to Morgan B as Katherine, so playing Jenna in the same manner would have been redundant. Priscilla was fine as a more likeable Jenna, but her acting wasn't up to some of the more demanding storylines. I've never mentally recast Jenna so I have no one specific in mind, but a better actress than Priscilla and warmer than Morgan F would have been an improvement.
Great post. I didn’t buy any of those actresses as the girl who grew up on the next ranch over. I would have conceived Jenna as the girl from the right side of the tracks (as opposed to Pammy), maybe a bit spoiled but not overly so, a bit mischievous and rebellious, and with a warm side as you said. She‘s elegant but also at home on horseback.

Maybe Sela Ward (thought she’s probably about 6-7 years too young).

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Great post. I didn’t buy any of those actresses as the girl who grew up on the next ranch over. I would have conceived Jenna as the girl from the right side of the tracks (as opposed to Pammy), maybe a bit spoiled but not overly so, a bit mischievous and rebellious, and with a warm side as you said. She‘s elegant but also at home on horseback.

Maybe Sela Ward (thought she’s probably about 6-7 years too young).
Maybe Jacqueline Smith? Same age as PP.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I can’t think of any characters I would recast off the top of my head but I’m enjoying reading this thread nonetheless.

I wasn’t a big fan of the Haileyville storyline but I wouldn’t recast Cathy Podewell. Callie grew on me a lot when she got to Dallas. I actually ended up enjoying the character and the actress playing her.

Jamie I did not care for in the beginning but I liked the character a lot more in the dream season as I feel she was given some of her best material to work with that season. I thought Jenilee Harrison actually did a fine job and I wouldn’t recast her either.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
1618436930814.png

Bruce Boxleitner as Matt Cantrell
(and the parrot as Charlie)

1618437185298.png

Dana Andrews as Wes Parmalee

1618437426724.png

Joanna Lumley as Laurel Ellis​

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
1618437698128.png

Lesley-Anne Down as Liz Adams (not Stephanie)

1618437797809.png

Faye Dunaway as Diana Farrington

1618437929948.png

Angie Dickinson as Stephanie Rogers​