Characters You'd Recast

Michelle Stevens

'The Lovely Michelle'
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Tony Danza as Renaldo “Tony” Marchetta and Alyssa Milano as Charlie Wade
Would "Tony" Machetta be cleaning Judith Ryland's home in Connecticut? ;)

the-lost-son

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Those entire years can be rewrote as far as I'm concerned. That wasn't so much an actor as a script problem.
In the early days Dallas had much luck regarding casting new characters.
Afton, Clayton, Katherine, Rebecca, Dusty, Donna....
Even most of the recasts worked out well (Kristen, Gary, I liked Figger No. 1 better, Digger No. worked as well).

The first character which didn‘t really strike as a fitting cast - was Jamie. (I didn‘t mind PP‘s Jenna).

In the later years the series detoriated on many levels. Picture quality, wardrobe/fashion, writing and casting. It‘s hard to create new loved characters if the writing isn‘t on par. But I had a strong dislike to Sasha Mitchell.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Just about anyone competent would be good for a recast of Laurel Ellis and would be less wooden and more convincing. Someone like Robin Wright or Halle Berry would have been great.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Priscilla was fine as a more likeable Jenna, but her acting wasn't up to some of the more demanding storylines.
I liked Priscilla and her interpretation of Jenna. But you are right. When the story required her to show some flare in the drama department she couldn't quite cut it. The characters of Jenna and Charlie outlived their usefulness on Dallas and should have left after the death of Bobby.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'd like to think when Pam crashed into the tanker and slipped into a coma, this was her dream - again - from this point forward, including TNT Dallas. I'm hoping Pam will wake up one day.
Looking back on those last four seasons plus the TNT debacle I have to admit this is one time the dream would’ve worked for me.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I really liked Priscilla Presley the first year. She was indeed really likeable. But after that, she became insufferable and the writers never managed to make her lovable again.
I honestly found her likeable for her entire run. I know she wasn’t the greatest actress ever but I think she did fine enough considering and I loved having her on the show.

Justine

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've never watched the later seasons when James arrived in Dallas but I've always had in the back of my mind that Sean Kanan would have been a much better choice for the role. He had a similar look to Sasha Mitchell and had a really good screen presence as A.J. Quartermaine in General Hospital in the early 90's.

s-l400.jpg

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’ll never understand why who Charlie’s father was, was such a big secret.
If I recall correctly, they retconned that a bit. I thought Charley's paternity had been resolved a few seasons before Jenna returned. They then acted as if it hadn't. I wasn't watching Dallas when Jenna first came around so someone who did would know for sure.
I liked PP her first season, bit the second year she was staying to wear out her welcome, imho. By the time she went blonde and was with Ray I was more than ready for her to leave. Pam, Donna, Sue Ellen and even Lucy never wore out their welcome to me.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've never watched the later seasons when James arrived in Dallas
The recommendation is don't. I watched it during its first run but only out of loyalty to the brand. It's excruciating to watch when we know where Dallas came from; a series of strong characters and memorable stories. My DVD collection of Lorimar Dallas finishes with "Swan Song," the death of Bobby. Up to this Dallas was on point. Sure there was the slight hiccup of the recasting of Miss Ellie but the series was near perfect as television could be.

Jessie

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I would say Callie, and James for sure.
Peter because I really didn’t like the Peter and Sue Ellen Story. Peter looked way too young, it was not an interesting storyline for the Sue Ellen character. They should of chose someone more mature looking to play Peter.
Christopher was approx 23, and Linda was 43.
John Schneider is one year younger than Christopher but he looks older.
1623476664373.jpeg

1623476770008.jpeg

I would say Clint too he was a really boring character.

Last edited:

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Just about anyone competent would be good for a recast of Laurel Ellis and would be less wooden and more convincing. Someone like Robin Wright or Halle Berry would have been great.
Even Robin Williams would have been more convincing.

I also agree that Priscilla was satisfactory during her first year when Jenna was nothing more than an obstacle between Bobby and Pam. It’s beginning with the the second year when they gave her more of her own storyline (Jenna goes to jail, Jenna goes nuts, Jenna is pissed) that her limitations became apparent. If they were planning for her to be more than a single season character, then they needed an actress with more depth.