LV

Reaction score
Awards

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Making of A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS (1965) one of those four mid-'60s holiday cartoons which seemed so definitive that they ran annually on network TV for more than 40 years (before the industry changed and those traditions stumbled). Some still do, like RUDOLPH, but I think you now have to stream the PEANUTS ones...

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Charles Schultz was a close friend of one of my sheroes, Billie Jean King, and from time to time used to mention her in his comic strips.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A 2007 documentary on Schulz... it starts to get just a little dark around 44:00 :

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There's a more recent 2021 documentary called Who Are You Charlie Brown? which features the afore mentioned Billie Jean King and a number of other friends and fans of Charles M. Schulz as well as archive film interviews of Mr Schulz himself.

Last edited:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That's interesting. I didn't know that the characters had been animated before 1965's Christmas special and it's six years before "A Boy Named Charlie Brown" was used as the title for the first Peanuts feature film.

Neither did I, except for some commercials.

The only animated PEANUTS specials I liked, though, were from the '60s. After that, they all felt cutesy and cloying and didn't work for me.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
He really did get a rock.

In January 2022, Peter Robbins -- the first boy to voice Charlie Brown in the 1965 Christmas special -- took his own life after a few years of legal problems, imprisonment, and bipolar disorder.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i forgot about that it really is sad, he's 100 years old wow damn Peanuts started out the same i think Month my dad was born and the same year too i think it was maybe a week or to before he was born i want to say?

stephenpe

Telly Talk Newbie
LV

Reaction score
I read it to this day. I think Charles Schultz could say more about the human condition in a 4 panel comic than any social scientist could in a book chapter. My first wife made me a giant comic strip with her art skills of Peanuts when he died. I have it somewhere. He was a genius. I think his old strips are better than most of the new ones........