ClassyCo's Thoughts on Falcon Crest

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I just completed Season 5 tonight.

The whole plot of Maggie getting tangled up with Wainwright got pretty intense. I figured Wainwright would outsmart the police stationed at Maggie and Chase's house, which he did. He kidnaps her and hides her away in this tacky little shack-type house in the middle of nowhere (which is typical for such TV hide aways). She's not there too awfully long before she tries to escape, but she's stopped by Wainwright (like why didn't Maggie knock him another good time with the skillet before hauling butt to a locked door to fumble with a handful of keys?). Chase shows up soon enough, Maggie escapes, Wainwright is attested, but Chase is shot, with Wainwright being the sole suspect. Chase ends up in the hospital, with Maggie and Cole by his side, begging for him to live. The story gets a twist tossed in when the sheriff tells Maggie and Cole that Chase wasn't shot by Wainwright, but by someone else who was there. It reaches its climax when Chase goes into shock and gets rushed to surgery (leaving the window open for his potential death).

Chao-Li's daughter his come and gone. There was some flirtatious entanglements between her and both Cole and Lance, but nothing ever comes of it. She spends the majority of her time in the Tuscany Valley studying the land for earthquakes, something most people find thankless and silly. She decides to go back to China quite abruptly after talking with Emma and letting her broken heart start to heal. She had been jaded by a suitor back in China, and she decided to be a big girl and go back home to face him and his new bride.

Emma and Dewayne are still a breath of fresh air. Their relationship is so rewarding and cute. Dewayne wants an old-fashioned romance where he works and pays the way for he and Emma, but Emma sees herself as a modern woman, willing and ready to help in anyway, even financially. The two argue over where they will live once they are married; Emma agrees to purchase a $3 million home, but Dewayne insists he pay for a fixer-upper than Emma finds underwhelming. Eventually, the two decide to purchase some land cornering Maggie and Chase's property and build their own home. Angela (with Peter's help) gradually comes around to accepting Emma and Dewayne. She doesn't want to loose Emma by being harsh and pushing the love birds apart, so she decides to support them.

Richard and Terry go back and forth with their marriage. At the core, they're business partners, each after what the other can give them in terms of social status, wealth, control, and power. It's a game of greed, but sometimes lust comes into the equation. It's no secret that Richard and Terry find one another attractive, and sometimes Richard lets his guard down enough that he will let Terry spend the night with him in his bedroom. Even so, their marriage still has troubles. Richard is constantly on the hunt for Cassandra and his baby that she has had, but he comes up with nothing for a long time. Terry even intentionally thwarts his search in fear that Richard having a blood heir will cut her out of his wallet. In the season finale, Richard learns that Cassandra died during child birth when he's called to London. He learns when he gets back home that Cassandra's brother, Damon, has sent his son, Michael, to live with he and Terry in the valley under the aid of a nanny named Sabrina.

Angela and Peter's relationship is maturing and it's growing on me. I like Peter more with each passing episode. He and Angela make for a solid, tough-as-nails pair. Neither of them are scared of anything thrown their way, and neither of them are scared to stand up to the other.

Despite their marriage, Angela continues her schemes. She hates the fact that Eric has started a winery with Melissa, therefore rendering her unable to weasel her way into purchasing Melissa's harvest. Angela recruits Lance to help her split up Melissa and Eric, and through a scheme of two, Lance ultimately succeeds in doing just that. When the Eric-Melissa goes belly up, Eric immediately blames Angela and the Falcon Crest crew. But Lance has some more tricks up his sleeve to tie Melissa's name into some shady business dealings. Such information causes Eric to bail on Melissa, professing to return to Europe. Lance rushes to Melissa's side, and I'm sure there's more schemes up his sleeve.

Cole is still fumbling on as he and Melissa are divorcing. He takes to Maggie and Chase through all the Wainwright mess, and he even travels to try and find out what makes a psycho like Wainwright tick after Maggie's been abducted. What her learns doesn't give him too many answers, but he's right at Chase's side when Chase finds Wainwright and pulls Maggie to safety.

Jordan has been tasked by Richard to get Julia a re-trail and hopefully freed and dismissed of her crimes. But Richard has his own motives for such a task: he knows Julia is a major shareholder in the New Globe, and if he were to help her, then she'd be on his side and "owe him one" or more.

Meanwhile, Jordan is having some serious mental issues whilst the ever-presence of her alter ego Monica Smith. She repairs the relationship with mother, continues seeing her therapist, and patches up things with Greg. After remembering something quite significant from her childhood, Jordan finally learns the importance of Monica in her life and gets a hold of her for the future. Things look bright for Jordan and Greg, but their plans are thwarted when they stumble upon a wrecked police car. The officers are dead, but Wainwright shows up, thrusting a gun in their place.

And then.... An earthquake happens. Almost everyone's left in peril as the season closes out.

I can't wait to see what's ahead.

I might be taking a little break from FALCON CREST, but I promise I will be back. I have some personal obligations and I need to get off my rear and get myself enrolled back in school before the deadline.

As always, don't forget to ask me questions if you have anything you'd like me to elaborate on. Sometimes I might overlook things when I'm typing these reviews on my cellphone.

Until then....

Happy viewing!

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
OK I'm back after a little time away... just as promised.

I have completed Season 5, and I am like seven episodes into Season 6. I have started episode 8, but I haven't completed it as of typing this little what's-for-review.

So let's jump right into it.

I ended up enjoying Season 5 a good bit. Despite feeling it was a little cluttered and lacked a central focal point, I thought the season had some strong points. Being the supporter of Morgan Fairchild that I am, I particularly liked her turn as Jordan Roberts. The fact they FALCON CREST tackled sexual abuse was different and I guess somewhat groundbreaking. It reminds me of how KNOTS LANDING took a "different" slant when they ushered in Joshua Rush as their neighborhood Christian evangelist.

As with anything, there were some things that I didn't like about Season 5. For one, it lacked a focal point. Everyone had their own stories going, and when the characters would cross each other's paths, it didn't always seem to make that much sense; it felt more forced than anything.

One thing that increasingly irritates me is how Chase treats Maggie. He is completely undeserving of her. He hadn't any sympathy for her being stalked or being kidnapped; he just wanted her to climb into the bed with him and let it go from there. I was on the fence with how the show tried to turn him into a heroic husband when he shows up at Wainwright's house just as Maggie is fleeing from the home. They have him get shot. I suppose that was supposed to make the viewer sad and considered for Chase, but all I was thinking was that having him get shot would be a perfect way to let the character die.

I know I'm a little hard on Chase, but he's one of those goody-goody characters. All the soaps had them back then: Bobby Ewing, Mack MacKenzie, and Blake Carrington. I'm more forgiving of the squeaky cleanness of Bobby and Mack, but Chase and Blake just rub me the wrong way. They don't really seem like good men to me. They appear as if they're "we're going to do this my way" men that had behind their money and images that's supposed to make them heroic. It's not my cup of tea.

I liked how Jordan and Greg patched up their differences towards the end of Season 5. Jordan really needed Greg, and Greg really wanted to be there for Jordan. The only thing I don't like is that the two characters are almost completely forgotten going into Season 6. Greg calls Angela (although we don't see or hear him) and resigns from his job as her lawyer, and Jordan does an off-camera call to Richard, too. I was really liking the Jordan and Greg romance, but I suppose Simon McCorkindale's decision to move on just left room for FALCON CREST and its producers to slide two characters out of the way.

The Season 5 earthquake cliffhanger was very FALCON CREST. For a show taking place in California, it seemed quite fitting for an earthquake to end one of the seasons. (Which is all the more reason DYNASTY should've had an avalanche as a cliffhanger, consider it takes place in Denver.) I thought the earthquake had a good build-up and execution. Of course, I knew that some of the characters were not going to survive, although I hadn't any doubts that Angela was going to be found and take her throne back as Queen Bee of the Tuscany Valley. Poor Terry and Dewayne (a character I was really liking and wished could've stuck around with Emma) die in the earthquake, and Julia is left blind. Emma takes Dewayne home to his family to be buried, and Julia grows bitter because of her eyesight. She is temporarily happy when her ex-husband Tony Cumson slides back into her life, but she eventually decides she wants to return to the convent and try and "find herself" while finding peace and acceptance with God.

Season 6 has started really good, I think. I've been anticipating the introduction of Kim Novak. She's doing quite good as a shady Kit Marlowe, who is disguising herself as Peter's long-lost stepdaughter, Skylar Kimball. I know she's got some tricks up her sleeve, and I like how Richard has weaseled his way into her life. He knows who she is, and he is using that to his advantage. He wants Kit to drive a wedge in Angela and Peter's marriage, and she's doing it. She's stolen money from Angela, and has blamed it on Eric. Of course, Angela is furious, but Peter doesn't believe that Eric is a thief. But, then, what parent believes their child is a thief???

Vickie Gioberti (or should I say, Vickie 2.0) has found her way back home. Dana Sparks is prettier than Jamie Rose (at least to me), but her acting range isn't nearly as good. I suppose they brought her back to toss her into a revenge plot with Wainwright, who kidnapped her after wooing her. Nobody in the Gioberti clan knew that Vickie was seeing Wainwright because he was calling himself "Larry Miller" to throw her off his trail. All has ended well enough when Wainwright is killed.

Tragic has struck Maggie again, however, when she learns she's pregnant. I knew when she told Vickie that she had been raped by Wainwright, that she was going to find out she was pregnant therefore drama would ensue as to whether Chase or Jeff was the unborn baby's father. As of yet, I haven't found out if Chase or Jeff is the father, but I have a hunch that Chase might've been the one to rape Maggie and not Jeff. I could be wrong... but it's a hunch.

Richard found out that Erin Jones was the one that tried to kill Chase by shooting him. He pulled out all the stocks and cornered her into admitting that she was the one that pulled the trigger. Instead of turning her in, however, he sent her away, but her sister has come into the picture. And we all know that signs trouble.

Melissa and Lance are at it again romantically. I can't decide if Lance is really fallen for Melissa again, or if he is just trying to woo her vineyards out of her so he can be on good graces with Angela. We shall see...

A guy named Dan Fixx has come into town and he's stirring up some trouble. He's an old high school classmate of Melissa and Lance, and he has a block hanging over Angela's head. You see, years ago Angela hit Dan's mother with her car, and now she "owes" him. Angela's given Dan a job at the spa and hotel she's acquired, while effectively pushing Lance to the side. Lance has countered Angela's rebuffs by going into business with Richard at the New Globe.

That's about where I am at so far.

As always, ask me questions if there's anything I missed or that you'd like me to elaborate on further.

Until then....

Happy viewing!

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
One thing that increasingly irritates me is how Chase treats Maggie. He is completely undeserving of her. He hadn't any sympathy for her being stalked or being kidnapped; he just wanted her to climb into the bed with him and let it go from there. I was on the fence with how the show tried to turn him into a heroic husband when he shows up at Wainwright's house just as Maggie is fleeing from the home. They have him get shot. I suppose that was supposed to make the viewer sad and considered for Chase, but all I was thinking was that having him get shot would be a perfect way to let the character die.

I know I'm a little hard on Chase, but he's one of those goody-goody characters. All the soaps had them back then: Bobby Ewing, Mack MacKenzie, and Blake Carrington. I'm more forgiving of the squeaky cleanness of Bobby and Mack, but Chase and Blake just rub me the wrong way. They don't really seem like good men to me. They appear as if they're "we're going to do this my way" men that had behind their money and images that's supposed to make them heroic. It's not my cup of tea.
It's because Chase is a bit of a contradiction why I found the character so interesting. He wasn't a goody-two-shoes but a selfish and self-centred individual. Good people are rarely good in every aspect of their lives in the same why that bad people can also have a caring side too in certain circumstance. I think it makes the character more real and more relatable.

Jock Og

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
OK I'm back after a little time away... just as promised.

I have completed Season 5, and I am like seven episodes into Season 6. I have started episode 8, but I haven't completed it as of typing this little what's-for-review.

So let's jump right into it.

I ended up enjoying Season 5 a good bit. Despite feeling it was a little cluttered and lacked a central focal point, I thought the season had some strong points. Being the supporter of Morgan Fairchild that I am, I particularly liked her turn as Jordan Roberts. The fact they FALCON CREST tackled sexual abuse was different and I guess somewhat groundbreaking. It reminds me of how KNOTS LANDING took a "different" slant when they ushered in Joshua Rush as their neighborhood Christian evangelist.

As with anything, there were some things that I didn't like about Season 5. For one, it lacked a focal point. Everyone had their own stories going, and when the characters would cross each other's paths, it didn't always seem to make that much sense; it felt more forced than anything.

I liked how Jordan and Greg patched up their differences towards the end of Season 5. Jordan really needed Greg, and Greg really wanted to be there for Jordan. The only thing I don't like is that the two characters are almost completely forgotten going into Season 6. Greg calls Angela (although we don't see or hear him) and resigns from his job as her lawyer, and Jordan does an off-camera call to Richard, too. I was really liking the Jordan and Greg romance, but I suppose Simon McCorkindale's decision to move on just left room for FALCON CREST and its producers to slide two characters out of the way.

The Season 5 earthquake cliffhanger was very FALCON CREST. For a show taking place in California, it seemed quite fitting for an earthquake to end one of the seasons. (Which is all the more reason DYNASTY should've had an avalanche as a cliffhanger, consider it takes place in Denver.) I thought the earthquake had a good build-up and execution. Of course, I knew that some of the characters were not going to survive, although I hadn't any doubts that Angela was going to be found and take her throne back as Queen Bee of the Tuscany Valley. Poor Terry and Dewayne (a character I was really liking and wished could've stuck around with Emma) die in the earthquake, and Julia is left blind. Emma takes Dewayne home to his family to be buried, and Julia grows bitter because of her eyesight. She is temporarily happy when her ex-husband Tony Cumson slides back into her life, but she eventually decides she wants to return to the convent and try and "find herself" while finding peace and acceptance with God.

Season 6 has started really good, I think. I've been anticipating the introduction of Kim Novak. She's doing quite good as a shady Kit Marlowe, who is disguising herself as Peter's long-lost stepdaughter, Skylar Kimball. I know she's got some tricks up her sleeve, and I like how Richard has weaseled his way into her life. He knows who she is, and he is using that to his advantage. He wants Kit to drive a wedge in Angela and Peter's marriage, and she's doing it. She's stolen money from Angela, and has blamed it on Eric. Of course, Angela is furious, but Peter doesn't believe that Eric is a thief. But, then, what parent believes their child is a thief???

Vickie Gioberti (or should I say, Vickie 2.0) has found her way back home. Dana Sparks is prettier than Jamie Rose (at least to me), but her acting range isn't nearly as good. I suppose they brought her back to toss her into a revenge plot with Wainwright, who kidnapped her after wooing her. Nobody in the Gioberti clan knew that Vickie was seeing Wainwright because he was calling himself "Larry Miller" to throw her off his trail. All has ended well enough when Wainwright is killed.

Tragic has struck Maggie again, however, when she learns she's pregnant. I knew when she told Vickie that she had been raped by Wainwright, that she was going to find out she was pregnant therefore drama would ensue as to whether Chase or Jeff was the unborn baby's father. As of yet, I haven't found out if Chase or Jeff is the father, but I have a hunch that Chase might've been the one to rape Maggie and not Jeff. I could be wrong... but it's a hunch.

Richard found out that Erin Jones was the one that tried to kill Chase by shooting him. He pulled out all the stocks and cornered her into admitting that she was the one that pulled the trigger. Instead of turning her in, however, he sent her away, but her sister has come into the picture. And we all know that signs trouble.

Melissa and Lance are at it again romantically. I can't decide if Lance is really fallen for Melissa again, or if he is just trying to woo her vineyards out of her so he can be on good graces with Angela. We shall see...

A guy named Dan Fixx has come into town and he's stirring up some trouble. He's an old high school classmate of Melissa and Lance, and he has a block hanging over Angela's head. You see, years ago Angela hit Dan's mother with her car, and now she "owes" him. Angela's given Dan a job at the spa and hotel she's acquired, while effectively pushing Lance to the side. Lance has countered Angela's rebuffs by going into business with Richard at the New Globe.

That's about where I am at so far.

As always, ask me questions if there's anything I missed or that you'd like me to elaborate on further.

Until then....

Happy viewing!

@ClassyCo what did you think of the new opening titles configuration; with the refreshed coat of arms, the wine swirling effect and the ellipsis before each actor's title position? The design was the work of independent design consultant Billy Pittard. Billy went on to become an Emmy award winner for other show's set the scene openings, after his FC revamp.

A bugbear for me with season six was how debonair Peter Stavros just instantantly recognised his stepdaughter Skylar (aka Kit). If only he knew, at this point the circumstances around this woman. Granted he hadn't seen Skylar since she was a teenager. It was a twist; which would have made the honchos of DYNASTY quite happy, as in like something they would've been noted for. I suppose it was more to do with how the fake Skylar came about, all part of the Kim Novak arc. Get ready for Robert Stack and three core cast departing the land of grapes.

Chase's new partner Gabrielle Short bursts into Angela's study, before Chao-Li has a chance to stop her. She gives the Falcon Crest boss a hard smack, on the cheek and leaves the great mansion. Quite an event indeed, (a scene from season 6, 1986 - '87):

Chao-Li: "Oh, Mrs. Channing. I'm sorry! It happened so fast."

Angela holds her hand over the slapped cheek and is perplexed. She says,

"Oh never mind that ....... for another winery like hers I'd turn the other cheek."

Last edited:

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
what did you think of the new opening titles configuration; with the refreshed coat of arms, the wine swirling effect and the ellipsis before each actor's title position? The design was the work of independent design consultant Billy Pittard. Billy went on to become an Emmy award winner for other show's set the scene openings, after his FC revamp.

I'm enjoying the new opening credits design and instrumental. While the first version used for Season 5 might provide my favorite instrumental, that season looked cheap with the red frames and yellow font.

Season 6 looks slick and classy. I like the wine glass tossed in at the beginning, but those at the end just don't look good to me. They just don't fit the aesthetic of the rest of the intro, and it always comes across as if were just thrown in for the heck of it. But that might just be me.
What was a bugbear for me with season six was was the instant recognition of stepdaughter Skylar (aka Kit), from debonair Peter Stavros. Granted he hadn't seen her since she was a teenager. It was a twist; which would have made the honchos of DYNASTY quite happy, as in like something they would've been noted for. I suppose it was more to do with how the fake Skylar came about, all part of the Kim Novak arc. Get ready for Robert Stack and three core cast departing the land of grapes.

I'm enjoying the Kit Marlowe/Skylar Kimball arc. I've always liked Kim Novak (though she's sometimes a hit-or-miss, at least acting-wise) and I was gearing up for her entrance as Season 5 closed out.

What I wasn't prepared for was her debuting in literally the first episode of Season 6. I was expecting there to be more of a build-up for her entrance. Skylar does seem to be something of a retcon for Peter Stavros' past marriage, but hey, I'm jiving okay with it. It's providing some good twists and turns for the show, and helping give Season 6 a stronger "edge" that Season 5 lacked.

I haven't any complaints with Novak's performance as Kit/Skylar, and she looks lovely getting the FALCON CREST glamour treatment. I'm liking her side romance with John Saxon, and the scenes she shares with David Selby.

What is a little disappointing is how underutilized Cesar Romero seems to be the last ten or so episodes. He has missed one or two, I think, and he's barley in the episodes he's in. That's a shame, too, because I like Novak's scenes with Romero.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The thing that made the Season 5 opening titles look "cheap" (the word most people agree on) is the just-too-red font; I mean, Ilike red but all that cardinal red is just too much.

The new Season 6 opening titles (and beyond) suffer from the new edited-on-video issue which makes it look cheapy in a different way. Also, the titles should always end on Apollo; you can refresh these things, but a degree of continuity is compulsory.

If the mid-episode bumper of STARSKY & HUTCH of the duo riding in the car, driving and talking on the police radio, and then it's replaced with a collage of them goofing off and around, somebody somewhere behind the camera has dropped the ball. Like the producer who signed off on eliminating the three-split screen on that show from Texas.

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
Also, the titles should always end on Apollo; you can refresh these things, but a degree of continuity is compulsory.
In the German version our network kept Apollo at the end up until the end of Season 8, because they used this legendary shot to reveal the current episodes title.
I guess in season 9 it really didn't fit anymore, so for the last season we had the episode titles - like in the OV - at the start of each episode.
We also changed the opening credits and gave Morgan Fairchild, Kim Novak and Leslie Caron an extra title card in their corresponding episodes after Susan Sullivan in the opening sequence, which i loved! :cool:

Last edited:

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Ok everyone... I'm back to share some more of my two cents.

Season 6 is cruising along nicely. I'm actually preferring it to Season 5.

I'm really liking the Skylar Kimball/Kit Marlowe story. It's making me really like Kim Novak a lot all over again. The story has twists and turns and I like how Kit has found a confidant in Tony, even if I'm a little puzzled that Tony forgot Julia so quickly after she retreated to the convent. Right now, Kit is hiding out, but the men that want her dead know she's not dead. Some dirty business is still to be had, and I'm waiting for it.

Richard has finally ridden himself of Erin Jones, but her vengeful sister, Meredith, has gotten a job as Richard's nanny. She wants her sister back and she won't stop at anything to get. Meredith employs this shady character named Greene, and a lot of mess ensues. Greene kidnaps Richard's baby Michael and Meredith, using them as ransom against Richard so he will cough up Erin's whereabouts. All ends up working out, y'know in the soap land-type way, as Meredith kills Greene and his men and Richard gets little Michael back. The suspense and tension surrounding the lengths Meredith and Richard went to get Michael back were quite intriguing. I also like how Richard kinda/sorta forgave Meredith because she meant no harm to Michael.

Lance & Melissa are having trouble. Those two can't ever stay happy. Why do they keep trying? What's interesting now though is Melissa has lost her mind. She's sprung a leak or something because and she's even spent a little time a mental healthcare facility. Melissa's a good one to have go crazy, because we all know she's been through a lot. I like how her finding Lance bedded up with a blonde-haired floozy triggers her insanity. Melissa's poisoning little Joseph though. She's turned the child against Lance, and things aren't looking too good right now. Cole is wanting to take Joseph away from Melissa. One wonders if this story line is going to be used to phase Joseph out of the picture like they did Cole. We shall see....

Chase & Maggie aren't making any progress. In fact, they're regressing. Chase has lost interest in salvaging the marriage, and Maggie cozying up to Richard. Honestly, I like Richard & Maggie together. Richard is obviously smitten with Maggie, and the two enjoy one another's company. I know the two eventually end up together, and I'm ready to see it happen. I think they are a good pair. Maggie softens Richard, and that gives the man more layers. They're sweet together.

Poor Emma is still looking for love in all the wrong places. She's hopped into bed with her seance worker Vince, and I guess her loves her now too. I'm not sure really. But I do know that Emma once thought if she slept with Vince she'd get pregnant with Dewayne's baby. And Vince was perfectly fine with taking advantage of a woman in Emma's mindset. I hope they get rid of Vince or do something drastic to "fix" him. Otherwise, I'm not going to like any serious plans to making Emma & Vince a "thing".

Vickie's moving along in her relationship with Dan Fixx. Chase went back to Dan's old hometown in Oklahoma and learned that Dan had been framed. Chase & Dan actually end up in some hot water in Oklahoma together, providing some good tension in a rather strong subplot revolving around a family named Ridley running a small town. Of course, all can't end too happily as Dan's learned his old love, Susan, is alive (although in a vegetable state) and he can't shake her memory. Vickie wants him to decide who he loves, and as of the latest, Dan's going with Vickie.

What's going on with Peter? He's barely on the show. He and Angela aren't exactly getting along. Angela's been doing her community service at the hospital and Peter shoves off to Europe to mourn Skylar after her apparent death.

Overall, I'm enjoying this ride. I can't wait to see where some of this goes, and I can't wait to see if some of it stops.

Happy viewing!

Richard Denault

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
Ok everyone... I'm back to share some more of my two cents.

Season 6 is cruising along nicely. I'm actually preferring it to Season 5.

I'm really liking the Skylar Kimball/Kit Marlowe story. It's making me really like Kim Novak a lot all over again. The story has twists and turns and I like how Kit has found a confidant in Tony, even if I'm a little puzzled that Tony forgot Julia so quickly after she retreated to the convent. Right now, Kit is hiding out, but the men that want her dead know she's not dead. Some dirty business is still to be had, and I'm waiting for it.

Richard has finally ridden himself of Erin Jones, but her vengeful sister, Meredith, has gotten a job as Richard's nanny. She wants her sister back and she won't stop at anything to get. Meredith employs this shady character named Greene, and a lot of mess ensues. Greene kidnaps Richard's baby Michael and Meredith, using them as ransom against Richard so he will cough up Erin's whereabouts. All ends up working out, y'know in the soap land-type way, as Meredith kills Greene and his men and Richard gets little Michael back. The suspense and tension surrounding the lengths Meredith and Richard went to get Michael back were quite intriguing. I also like how Richard kinda/sorta forgave Meredith because she meant no harm to Michael.

Lance & Melissa are having trouble. Those two can't ever stay happy. Why do they keep trying? What's interesting now though is Melissa has lost her mind. She's sprung a leak or something because and she's even spent a little time a mental healthcare facility. Melissa's a good one to have go crazy, because we all know she's been through a lot. I like how her finding Lance bedded up with a blonde-haired floozy triggers her insanity. Melissa's poisoning little Joseph though. She's turned the child against Lance, and things aren't looking too good right now. Cole is wanting to take Joseph away from Melissa. One wonders if this story line is going to be used to phase Joseph out of the picture like they did Cole. We shall see....

Chase & Maggie aren't making any progress. In fact, they're regressing. Chase has lost interest in salvaging the marriage, and Maggie cozying up to Richard. Honestly, I like Richard & Maggie together. Richard is obviously smitten with Maggie, and the two enjoy one another's company. I know the two eventually end up together, and I'm ready to see it happen. I think they are a good pair. Maggie softens Richard, and that gives the man more layers. They're sweet together.

Poor Emma is still looking for love in all the wrong places. She's hopped into bed with her seance worker Vince, and I guess her loves her now too. I'm not sure really. But I do know that Emma once thought if she slept with Vince she'd get pregnant with Dewayne's baby. And Vince was perfectly fine with taking advantage of a woman in Emma's mindset. I hope they get rid of Vince or do something drastic to "fix" him. Otherwise, I'm not going to like any serious plans to making Emma & Vince a "thing".

Vickie's moving along in her relationship with Dan Fixx. Chase went back to Dan's old hometown in Oklahoma and learned that Dan had been framed. Chase & Dan actually end up in some hot water in Oklahoma together, providing some good tension in a rather strong subplot revolving around a family named Ridley running a small town. Of course, all can't end too happily as Dan's learned his old love, Susan, is alive (although in a vegetable state) and he can't shake her memory. Vickie wants him to decide who he loves, and as of the latest, Dan's going with Vickie.

What's going on with Peter? He's barely on the show. He and Angela aren't exactly getting along. Angela's been doing her community service at the hospital and Peter shoves off to Europe to mourn Skylar after her apparent death.

Overall, I'm enjoying this ride. I can't wait to see where some of this goes, and I can't wait to see if some of it stops.

Happy viewing!
The sixth season is one of the best Jeff Jeff Freilich gave the program a lot of dynamism and humor, and the writers were kept from other seasons who were very good
All those stories are..great.
Except suppose Melissa goes crazy over Lace's betrayal.
What a way to spoil the character.
Here is a fantastic video like all yours of Toni talking about the ten mistakes that will ruin your suèrsoaps
And Melissa's is one of them.
In the video there are several spoilers, if you want to keep the intrigue don't watch it

Attachments

• Melissa.jpg
    Melissa.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 11

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Guys, don't think I've given up on FALCON CREST. I just took a little break to finish KNOTS LANDING (although I've still BACK TO THE CUL-DE-SAC to watch), watch some HOT IN CLEVELAND, and even an episode or two of early BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL.

I am over halfway through Season 6 and I am liking it all okay. As I've said, Season 6 seems more focused and planned out compared to the more messy Season 5. I honestly don't know if I miss anyone that died due to the earthquake, with the possible exception of Dewayne. He was the perfect guy for Emma, and he brought forth some old-fashioned charm and a goofy sense of humor to the show. I liked that, and I hate that they killed him. Poor Emma can't catch a break.

I'm going to keep fussing about Chase until, well, I feel the need to stop. Robert Foxworth wanted some more "layers" added to Chase, and I guess this is what the writers decided to give him. Chase and Maggie were supposed to be that rock solid couple (in the style of, say, Karen and Mack MacKenzie or Blake and Krystle Carrington); that unshakeable couple that overcomes all the trails and tribulations thrown at them. That makes Chase's jerk actions all the more unsettling. He has completely walked on Maggie, and wants no part of the baby she has once she founds out that it belongs to Jeff Wainwright. Maggie's got to be the most tragic heroine on the prime time soaps; boy, the woman's been put through it. She was kidnapped, raped, her husband of 20+ years walks out on her, and now she finds out that her baby was fathered by her rapist. Thank goodness Richard is there to comfort her.

I know some of what awaits me, story-wise, concerning FALCON CREST. For instance, I know the writers edge Maggie and Richard together and that they eventually marry. I am looking forward to seeing that storyline in full-swing. I am over the Maggie-Chase romance, and I am eager to see how the Maggie-Richard romance goes once it is given full attention. Richard really does love Maggie, and she humanizes him. She helps him pull back from his more wicked ways, and just be himself.

All the soaps have to have someone loose their mind at some point in the series, and I guess Season 6 of FC decided it was time for Melissa to go off the rails. I suppose they're going to explain it all somehow with her being the victim of what's been thrown her way, her relationship with Lance being a primary source of tension and problems. Melissa's spent some time in a rehab, but it doesn't seem to have helped. Her craziness isn't always full-fledged, but boy, when it is, you better watch out. Chase and Maggie even step in and get Cole to send for Joseph, which, as I guess, is a tactic of the writers to get little Joseph out of the picture. I wouldn't be surprised if Joseph fades to the background and it's as if Melissa is childless as the series pushes forward.

What in the world are they doing with Emma? Someone in the writers' room must really hate her character. She's fallen in love with her fake séance guy, and now she's wanting to adopt a baby. Margaret Ladd brings such a sweet humility to Emma, and I really hate to see her wasted and treated so shabbily. Here's hoping that something turns positive for her in the future.

I like that Lance has developed a relationship with his father Tony. Sure, Tony was a bum years before, but he's grown up and he really wants to have a relationship with his son. It took some times, as it would be assumed, but Lance finally realizes that Angela was wrong about Tony and he decides to see his father for the man he has become. I don't know how long such a success story will stick around, but I'm liking it so far.

What are they doing with Peter? He had become one of my favorite characters in Season 5. I really liked how he and Angela reconnected, married, and played off one another. Cesar Romero and Jane Wyman are two Classic Hollywood pros, and they work together wonderfully. Was Romero sick or something during this time? He's barely on the show, and Peter and Angela aren't even a "thing" anymore. They're still married, sure, but Angela is ticked that Peter walked out on her after Skylar's suicide, and now she's cuddling up with Roland Saunders (more on him later). And, of course, there is always something up Angela's sleeve. Right now, she's trying to cook up something with Dan and Vickie, so we shall see where it all goes.

There's a shady businessman that has come to town by name of Roland Saunders, played brilliantly by Robert Stack, I must add. He wants Kit Marlowe dead and he knows her suicide was fake. The whole "Skylar Kimball" fiasco has hit the skids; Peter knows Kit isn't Skylar, and soon everyone else will know, too. Richard's stirring up some good mess, making Peter believe that Angela knew all along that Kit was "Fake Skylar" and that she coached her into posing as such to keep Peter occupied. I feel like there's some good things ahead of me concerning the Kit/Skylar story. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Robert Stack.

That's where I'm at so far.

I'm going to try and get Season 6 finished up real soon.

Until then, happy viewing!

Richard Denault

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
Guys, don't think I've given up on FALCON CREST. I just took a little break to finish KNOTS LANDING (although I've still BACK TO THE CUL-DE-SAC to watch), watch some HOT IN CLEVELAND, and even an episode or two of early BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL.

I am over halfway through Season 6 and I am liking it all okay. As I've said, Season 6 seems more focused and planned out compared to the more messy Season 5. I honestly don't know if I miss anyone that died due to the earthquake, with the possible exception of Dewayne. He was the perfect guy for Emma, and he brought forth some old-fashioned charm and a goofy sense of humor to the show. I liked that, and I hate that they killed him. Poor Emma can't catch a break.

I'm going to keep fussing about Chase until, well, I feel the need to stop. Robert Foxworth wanted some more "layers" added to Chase, and I guess this is what the writers decided to give him. Chase and Maggie were supposed to be that rock solid couple (in the style of, say, Karen and Mack MacKenzie or Blake and Krystle Carrington); that unshakeable couple that overcomes all the trails and tribulations thrown at them. That makes Chase's jerk actions all the more unsettling. He has completely walked on Maggie, and wants no part of the baby she has once she founds out that it belongs to Jeff Wainwright. Maggie's got to be the most tragic heroine on the prime time soaps; boy, the woman's been put through it. She was kidnapped, raped, her husband of 20+ years walks out on her, and now she finds out that her baby was fathered by her rapist. Thank goodness Richard is there to comfort her.

I know some of what awaits me, story-wise, concerning FALCON CREST. For instance, I know the writers edge Maggie and Richard together and that they eventually marry. I am looking forward to seeing that storyline in full-swing. I am over the Maggie-Chase romance, and I am eager to see how the Maggie-Richard romance goes once it is given full attention. Richard really does love Maggie, and she humanizes him. She helps him pull back from his more wicked ways, and just be himself.

All the soaps have to have someone loose their mind at some point in the series, and I guess Season 6 of FC decided it was time for Melissa to go off the rails. I suppose they're going to explain it all somehow with her being the victim of what's been thrown her way, her relationship with Lance being a primary source of tension and problems. Melissa's spent some time in a rehab, but it doesn't seem to have helped. Her craziness isn't always full-fledged, but boy, when it is, you better watch out. Chase and Maggie even step in and get Cole to send for Joseph, which, as I guess, is a tactic of the writers to get little Joseph out of the picture. I wouldn't be surprised if Joseph fades to the background and it's as if Melissa is childless as the series pushes forward.

What in the world are they doing with Emma? Someone in the writers' room must really hate her character. She's fallen in love with her fake séance guy, and now she's wanting to adopt a baby. Margaret Ladd brings such a sweet humility to Emma, and I really hate to see her wasted and treated so shabbily. Here's hoping that something turns positive for her in the future.

I like that Lance has developed a relationship with his father Tony. Sure, Tony was a bum years before, but he's grown up and he really wants to have a relationship with his son. It took some times, as it would be assumed, but Lance finally realizes that Angela was wrong about Tony and he decides to see his father for the man he has become. I don't know how long such a success story will stick around, but I'm liking it so far.

What are they doing with Peter? He had become one of my favorite characters in Season 5. I really liked how he and Angela reconnected, married, and played off one another. Cesar Romero and Jane Wyman are two Classic Hollywood pros, and they work together wonderfully. Was Romero sick or something during this time? He's barely on the show, and Peter and Angela aren't even a "thing" anymore. They're still married, sure, but Angela is ticked that Peter walked out on her after Skylar's suicide, and now she's cuddling up with Roland Saunders (more on him later). And, of course, there is always something up Angela's sleeve. Right now, she's trying to cook up something with Dan and Vickie, so we shall see where it all goes.

There's a shady businessman that has come to town by name of Roland Saunders, played brilliantly by Robert Stack, I must add. He wants Kit Marlowe dead and he knows her suicide was fake. The whole "Skylar Kimball" fiasco has hit the skids; Peter knows Kit isn't Skylar, and soon everyone else will know, too. Richard's stirring up some good mess, making Peter believe that Angela knew all along that Kit was "Fake Skylar" and that she coached her into posing as such to keep Peter occupied. I feel like there's some good things ahead of me concerning the Kit/Skylar story. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Robert Stack.

That's where I'm at so far.

I'm going to try and get Season 6 finished up real soon.

Until then, happy viewing!
Jeff was pretentious in an interview that the sixth season was basically a combination of Vertigo and Truffaut's film La Sirène du Mississippi (Mississippi Mermaid)”, a movie starring Cathérine Deneuve and Jean - Paul Belmondo. “It is an amazing love story, a terrific suspense story, a combination of that film and the fact that she [Kim Novak] was in Vertigo, It was an interesting hybrid of Waltz into Darkness and Vertigo.
Those who have seen the wonderful mermaid movie will realize that it is nothing like the story of Kit Marlowe.
The sixth had some very good arcs: Maggie's pregnancy, Michael's kidnapping, Dan Fix's story and Kit's is one more arc
Luckily there were still the writers from other seasons E.F. Wallengren, Greg Strangis, Richard Gollance

Attachments

• la_sirene_du_mississipi.jpg
    la_sirene_du_mississipi.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I finished Season 6 earlier today.

Overall, I was thoroughly impressed in the improvements of Season 6 over Season 5, even though I'm fully aware that end-of-season campiness for Season 6 might've been a little too much for some viewers to swallow.

I thought this season had some strong storylines, even if I didn't like all of them. As you all know, my biggest complaint has been the turn of events surrounding the characterization of Chase. He turns into an outright jerk this season --- which, as I hear it, was at the hands of actor Robert Foxworth wanting more "layers" given to Chase. In frankness, I've never been entirely in Chase's corner (I've often found his "heroic" endeavors a little cringe-worthy), so I doesn't upset that he turns out to be a butt. What bothers me is his treatment of Maggie, the heroine of the wine saga, who he's been married to for some 25 years or better. He casually disregards her, falls into bed with Gabrielle Short, tells Maggie to give up her baby, and then decides to go on a manhunt to find the baby when the doctors tell him he is actually the father. The season finale shows one final glimpse of Chase being a hero as he dives into the San Francisco bay to save the baby he has learned is his. Of course, I know Chase isn't coming back after Season 6, but with how he's acted, I cannot say I am going to miss him.

Which leads me to the developing relationship between Richard & Maggie. I am more and more for their relationship. I like how the writers are pushing for Maggie to "humanize" and possibly redeem Richard --- at least to a certain point --- although there are already signs that their relationship will not progress without some issues. Richard is a businessman, and a dirty one at that, and that goes against the sweetness that is Maggie. It is obvious, however, that Richard & Maggie are in love, and I really hope that we get some story fleshed out concerning their happiness. Yes, I know it's a soap, and all good couples get their fair share of rattling to heighten the dramatics.

Angela was really on point this season. She had many pots on the stove, and she had many tricks slipped up her sleeve. Furious at Peter for walking out on her, she sets out to destroy him. The strained relationship between Angela & Peter is fueled by Richard, who even recruits the secretive Kit Marlowe into the plan. All things eventually got ironed out with Angela & Peter, however, as they both find out how Richard had weaseled his way into straining their marriage. It doesn't get to go too far, though, because Peter admits to murdering Roland Saunders, and he fleas Falcon Crest to hide out on his own private island, taking Kit and Tony with him. Aside from her stories with Peter, Angela meddles in Vickie and Dan's lives as well, hoping that having the too marry will assure that Falcon Crest with stay inside the Gioberti family. It all hits the rocks because Vickie can't stay out of Eric Stavros' bed, and Dan eventually kicks her to the curb.

I've actually grown to like Dan. He reminds a little of Lance, but a dustier, grittier version of Lance we usually just get peaks of. Angela has tried desperately to mold Dan into Lance as an heir to Falcon Crest, but Dan is seemingly aware that Angela will ever-so-easily cast him aside as soon as Lance comes crawling back home --- which, as of now, hasn't happened yet. Dan doesn't like Angela's meddling in his life, but he also doesn't seem to mind it too much. Just like Lance, Dan uses Angela's clout to claw his way around the valley.

What's the deal with Vickie? Did Chase & Maggie just trade-in the dead end Cole for another dead end kid? I know Vickie's going to stick around another season or so, but it seems like Season 6 could've shipped her off and we'd all never miss her. This version of Vickie is selfish and inconsiderate. She's whiny and can't decide what man she wants. She's awful to her mother and calls her father out for shacking up with a woman while he's still married. Hopefully, Season 7 will treat her better, but I'm not holding my breath.

Although I originally had my doubts, I'm growing to like the story they're doing with Melissa. She's clearly loosing her mind, and I know they're going to bring it out sooner or later that it's because of all the mess we've seen her tangled up in over the past several seasons. Melissa was heartbroken that Joseph was sent to live with Cole (a move to get the kid out of the way so Melissa can stir up trouble without a kid in the way, or so I'm guessing), which leads her to eventually oversee the adoption of Maggie's baby. Melissa plans to make Maggie & Chase pay for taking Joseph away from her by keeping Kevin (which has got to be the worst name they could've given the baby) behind closed doors. Angela is always a good step ahead of Melissa, however, and she slides right in the middle of Melissa's master scheme. In the meantime, Melissa started performing a nightclub cabaret act (with Ana-Alicia doing some awful lip-synching) that is hilariously out of character for the "normal" Melissa, but perfectly in character for the increasingly crazy Melissa.

The best story Season 6 had going was the Kit Marlowe saga. Kim Novak fit into the show nicely, and I love how Kit develops relationships with Peter and Tony. I was actually a little sad for Peter when he learned Kit was impersonating Skylar, but I enjoyed how Tony was falling in love with Kit while also patching up his relationship with Lance. When Roland Saunders comes on the scene (played fabulously by Robert Stack, I must add) the stakes just get juicier. I like the whole "whodunit" surrounding Saunders' death, even though the outcome was a little predictable. I knew Tony wasn't guilty, but I was a little iffy on whether I felt the writers were going to let Kit be the culprit. Of course, I was caught off guard when Peter blurts out at the trial that he killed Saunders (in an instance where we see Angela still has feelings for Peter when she says, "Oh, no, Peter. Don't say that"). I wish Kit, Peter, and Tony could've stuck around for another season, but the finale makes it clear they're off to greener pastures.

I've read in many places on these forums where people have issues with the way Season 6 ends, with all the VERTIGO and CASABLANCA references and nods. Honestly, I can't say that I minded it. For me, I liked seeing Richard wooing Maggie (after she's asked him not to let her stay alone this specific night) with her favorite movie, CASABLANCA. It's totally something I could see either me or my wife doing for the other. Ok, the references and nods might get a little too cutesy for some, and I can totally understand that. It isn't for everyone. But I can jive with it.

As I've said, Season 6 was stronger than Season 5. It has a focus and a gentle shift in tone that is a little hard to pinpoint, but it grew on me and I ended up liking it. I am probably (and I stress probably) going to take a little break before I kick off my viewing of Season 7.

As always, if there is anything you'd like me to elaborate on furhter, feel free to ask. I sometimes miss things that I did or didn't like and I enjoy people pulling more out of me to keep the conversation flowing.

I'll be back when I get some more episodes in the can.

Until then....

Happy viewing!

alexpaige

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I really enjoyed the campy approach of season 6 as it progressed as it was definitely a breath of fresh air. Never liked season 5 much - it really did seem the show was running out of steam at that point.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I really enjoyed the campy approach of season 6 as it progressed as it was definitely a breath of fresh air. Never liked season 5 much - it really did seem the show was running out of steam at that point.
Season 5 just lacked a focal point. It was all over the place. There was so much going on, but nothing really at the forefront. Season 6 embraced a campier tone, but I worry (from what I've read) the show is going to go too far with it.

Richard Denault

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
I finished Season 6 earlier today.

Overall, I was thoroughly impressed in the improvements of Season 6 over Season 5, even though I'm fully aware that end-of-season campiness for Season 6 might've been a little too much for some viewers to swallow.

I thought this season had some strong storylines, even if I didn't like all of them. As you all know, my biggest complaint has been the turn of events surrounding the characterization of Chase. He turns into an outright jerk this season --- which, as I hear it, was at the hands of actor Robert Foxworth wanting more "layers" given to Chase. In frankness, I've never been entirely in Chase's corner (I've often found his "heroic" endeavors a little cringe-worthy), so I doesn't upset that he turns out to be a butt. What bothers me is his treatment of Maggie, the heroine of the wine saga, who he's been married to for some 25 years or better. He casually disregards her, falls into bed with Gabrielle Short, tells Maggie to give up her baby, and then decides to go on a manhunt to find the baby when the doctors tell him he is actually the father. The season finale shows one final glimpse of Chase being a hero as he dives into the San Francisco bay to save the baby he has learned is his. Of course, I know Chase isn't coming back after Season 6, but with how he's acted, I cannot say I am going to miss him.

Which leads me to the developing relationship between Richard & Maggie. I am more and more for their relationship. I like how the writers are pushing for Maggie to "humanize" and possibly redeem Richard --- at least to a certain point --- although there are already signs that their relationship will not progress without some issues. Richard is a businessman, and a dirty one at that, and that goes against the sweetness that is Maggie. It is obvious, however, that Richard & Maggie are in love, and I really hope that we get some story fleshed out concerning their happiness. Yes, I know it's a soap, and all good couples get their fair share of rattling to heighten the dramatics.

Angela was really on point this season. She had many pots on the stove, and she had many tricks slipped up her sleeve. Furious at Peter for walking out on her, she sets out to destroy him. The strained relationship between Angela & Peter is fueled by Richard, who even recruits the secretive Kit Marlowe into the plan. All things eventually got ironed out with Angela & Peter, however, as they both find out how Richard had weaseled his way into straining their marriage. It doesn't get to go too far, though, because Peter admits to murdering Roland Saunders, and he fleas Falcon Crest to hide out on his own private island, taking Kit and Tony with him. Aside from her stories with Peter, Angela meddles in Vickie and Dan's lives as well, hoping that having the too marry will assure that Falcon Crest with stay inside the Gioberti family. It all hits the rocks because Vickie can't stay out of Eric Stavros' bed, and Dan eventually kicks her to the curb.

I've actually grown to like Dan. He reminds a little of Lance, but a dustier, grittier version of Lance we usually just get peaks of. Angela has tried desperately to mold Dan into Lance as an heir to Falcon Crest, but Dan is seemingly aware that Angela will ever-so-easily cast him aside as soon as Lance comes crawling back home --- which, as of now, hasn't happened yet. Dan doesn't like Angela's meddling in his life, but he also doesn't seem to mind it too much. Just like Lance, Dan uses Angela's clout to claw his way around the valley.

What's the deal with Vickie? Did Chase & Maggie just trade-in the dead end Cole for another dead end kid? I know Vickie's going to stick around another season or so, but it seems like Season 6 could've shipped her off and we'd all never miss her. This version of Vickie is selfish and inconsiderate. She's whiny and can't decide what man she wants. She's awful to her mother and calls her father out for shacking up with a woman while he's still married. Hopefully, Season 7 will treat her better, but I'm not holding my breath.

Although I originally had my doubts, I'm growing to like the story they're doing with Melissa. She's clearly loosing her mind, and I know they're going to bring it out sooner or later that it's because of all the mess we've seen her tangled up in over the past several seasons. Melissa was heartbroken that Joseph was sent to live with Cole (a move to get the kid out of the way so Melissa can stir up trouble without a kid in the way, or so I'm guessing), which leads her to eventually oversee the adoption of Maggie's baby. Melissa plans to make Maggie & Chase pay for taking Joseph away from her by keeping Kevin (which has got to be the worst name they could've given the baby) behind closed doors. Angela is always a good step ahead of Melissa, however, and she slides right in the middle of Melissa's master scheme. In the meantime, Melissa started performing a nightclub cabaret act (with Ana-Alicia doing some awful lip-synching) that is hilariously out of character for the "normal" Melissa, but perfectly in character for the increasingly crazy Melissa.

The best story Season 6 had going was the Kit Marlowe saga. Kim Novak fit into the show nicely, and I love how Kit develops relationships with Peter and Tony. I was actually a little sad for Peter when he learned Kit was impersonating Skylar, but I enjoyed how Tony was falling in love with Kit while also patching up his relationship with Lance. When Roland Saunders comes on the scene (played fabulously by Robert Stack, I must add) the stakes just get juicier. I like the whole "whodunit" surrounding Saunders' death, even though the outcome was a little predictable. I knew Tony wasn't guilty, but I was a little iffy on whether I felt the writers were going to let Kit be the culprit. Of course, I was caught off guard when Peter blurts out at the trial that he killed Saunders (in an instance where we see Angela still has feelings for Peter when she says, "Oh, no, Peter. Don't say that"). I wish Kit, Peter, and Tony could've stuck around for another season, but the finale makes it clear they're off to greener pastures.

I've read in many places on these forums where people have issues with the way Season 6 ends, with all the VERTIGO and CASABLANCA references and nods. Honestly, I can't say that I minded it. For me, I liked seeing Richard wooing Maggie (after she's asked him not to let her stay alone this specific night) with her favorite movie, CASABLANCA. It's totally something I could see either me or my wife doing for the other. Ok, the references and nods might get a little too cutesy for some, and I can totally understand that. It isn't for everyone. But I can jive with it.

As I've said, Season 6 was stronger than Season 5. It has a focus and a gentle shift in tone that is a little hard to pinpoint, but it grew on me and I ended up liking it. I am probably (and I stress probably) going to take a little break before I kick off my viewing of Season 7.

As always, if there is anything you'd like me to elaborate on furhter, feel free to ask. I sometimes miss things that I did or didn't like and I enjoy people pulling more out of me to keep the conversation flowing.

I'll be back when I get some more episodes in the can.

Until then....

Happy viewing!
Dan Fix
His interpreter commented that his role was Cole's substitute
Dan's problem is that he wasn't a Gioberti.
He couldn't have been Jasper's long lost grandson. A match for Lance
Joseph Gioberti
One of the problems in my opinion is the relationships between the characters were very weak
For example if Joseph had stayed with Melissa. She had been close to Maggie and Richard. He was Maggie's only grandson.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Dan Fix
His interpreter commented that his role was Cole's substitute
Dan's problem is that he wasn't a Gioberti.
He couldn't have been Jasper's long lost grandson. A match for Lance
No, Dan wasn't a Gioberti, and I can see his being a Cole replacement. I'm always baffled when shows such as FALCON CREST remove characters and then replace them with someone else that's essentially fulfilling the same vacancy in the storylines.

I guess actors get let go because they want to leave, or because their salaries get too high, or because studio politics get in the way. So, that leads to the axe coming down and new people getting brought aboard.

Joseph Gioberti
One of the problems in my opinion is the relationships between the characters were very weak
For example if Joseph had stayed with Melissa. She had been close to Maggie and Richard. He was Maggie's only grandson.
You make a lot of sense here. Having Joseph around kept Melissa too close to Maggie & Chase, and with Cole out of the loop, I'm sure the producers wanted to "free" Melissa of her Gioberti connections so she could stir up more havoc for them, such as stealing "Kevin" and running off with him.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Ok, I knew I couldn't wait. I started Season 7 this morning.

The first episode picks minutes after the closing out of Season 6, and I always like when they do that, especially if you're binging a show. Melissa, Dan, Richard, and baby Kevin all survive the fiasco at the San Francisco bay. But Chase's body doesn't turn up. Maggie and Richard pressure the police to scrap the water and hopefully locate him, but as of two episodes in, there's nothing pointing to him being found.

Maggie's torn to pieces about loosing Chase, even after all the heartache he's caused her. It's all made worse when she can't seem to find a stable shoulder to cry on. Richard's there, yes, but he's got his own problems brewing; Angela's just trying to get Chase's vineyards; Vickie's off gambling and bedding with Eric Stavros, who she's married; and Maggie is left pretty much in shambles. But it's getting redeemed because she's opening up to Richard, he's letting her, and their relationship is progressing positively.

Let's talk about Angela's end-of-Season 6 revelation. Peter dug up some stuff and has learned Richard is Angela's biological son from some 45 years ago. Angela tries to hide the news, but her lawyer isn't up to the task. Well, he tries to have Richard killed, but Angela saves him. The secret comes out of the closet, and Richard has a hard time dealing with the news. I like that he tries to form some sort of bond with Angela, but she brushes it off, saying her son is dead and that she hates Richard. I was honestly hoping the writers would've given Richard & Angela some connection, but if they do that, two of the major characters known for their feuds will loose some of their lustre. They can't let that happen. It seems as if the writers have instituted a twist that has pushed them into a corner that they'll probably lazily try to ignore and try to forget as time lingers on.

Lance is bedding Dena, but I'm sure that's going to hit the rocks soon enough, whether it's because she gets tired of his new racing kick or Melissa gets in the way.

Apparently Melissa & Dan are going to be another couple, but they haven't gone full-blown yet. The writers seem like they may be just a little scared or hesitant to do it. Maybe it'll work, or maybe they'll disregard it and do something else. Only time will tell.

Emma just can't catch a break. I failed to mention it in my earlier post, but her relationship with Vince hit the rocks. I knew it was just a matter of time before something crept in and Vince would be history. Emma just doesn't seem destined for happiness in soap land. Vince was outed as a bigamist at Emma's ceremonial wedding to him, and he is last seen as his other wives drag him out of the sanctuary. This naturally sends Emma into a whirlwind of emotions. She's lost Vince and also her adoptive son, Wendell, who the agency reclaims because Emma isn't married. Season 6 closed with Emma attempting to jump off the roof of her home, but she's ultimately saved by Lance. I sure hope someone in the writing room gets some sort of head check and sprinkles some happiness Emma's way.

The main plot so far into Season 7 is the presumed death of Chase, and the arrival of two shady people from his past, a buddy named John Remick and a woman named Nicole Sauget. Chase has left Remick in charge of his estate, while Nicole was apparently a lover of Chase's during his time serving in Vietnam. Nicole's come to the valley to cash-in on the loan she gave Chase some years ago, which will put Maggie out of a home.

I must admit I'm enjoying Leslie Caron as Nicole Sauget, even if I'm having issues with the overall story. The reaching back to reveal skeletons in Chase's closet is intriguing, if not entirely convincing. I have no reason not to believe what I'm being told, but it's just a little hard to process. Like, Chase kept all this stuff hid from Maggie, and they had been married for 25 years? I suppose it's possible, and such things have happened in soap land before, but it all seems just a tad random to cook up some season-starting drama.

But that's where I'm at so far. Season 7 is starting off pretty strong, even if I'm indecisive on all the directions the storylines are going.

I'll be back when I've got more in the can.

Happy viewing!

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've got a few more Season 7 episodes in the can.

The saga of Nicole Sauget is over. She swifted in and out of the valley quite quickly. I actually feel like they missed some opportunities here to maybe squeeze another two or three episodes of juiciness out of her story. It seems they just wanted something to stir up some trouble as a season-starting gimmick, but yet they didn't really know what they wanted to do with it, or what to do with the outcome of Nicole's stories she was spinning. I do like that they washed away the idea of Nicole and Chase having an affair, and I didn't like how Vickie was being tangled up in Nicole's web. Angela and Nicole's scenes provide some of my favorites of these early Season 7 episodes. Jane Wyman and Leslie Caron play wonderfully together.

Maggie & Richard are getting closer and I am loving it. They seem so humane and loving together, reminding me of those cozy scenes between Blake & Krystle and Karen & Mack. I hope they writers do right by them and keep them moving along nicely, but I have a hunch I'm going to get double crossed somewhere and get a few curve balls thrown my way.

I'm having a difficult time with watching the story they're doing with Eric & Vickie. The last episode I watched, he physically abused her. I do not like to see women get physically abused, and unless they do a complete turn around with this story, I will never like Eric again. He's going to have to verbablly and emotionally apologize to both me and Vickie to get my blessings to be liked again.

I feel like the revelation of Angela being Richard's mother is just going to be dialogue fodder that'll have no major effect on the storylines whatsoever. I do like that they allowed Richard to be hurt by Angela's decision not to accept him as her son, but it's yet to effect their relationship. I'm beginning to wonder if this is all just going to fade into the background and be forgotten and got without mentioning just like Lucy & Ray's hay-hopping scenes in early DALLAS.

Emma's gotten tangled up in some prostituion stuff. Poor Emma. The kid can't catch a break no matter which way she turns. All she wants is happiness and to be without her mother's supervision. I sure hope they eventually give it to her.

Lance & Melissa have decided to divorce. It appears as if Melissa is doing her best to get her life together, while Lance is trying to help Maggie get into the swing of things in running a winery while also bedding Dena and taking up racing. The last I saw of Lance was when he was in the hospital after he and Dena wrecked. I hope they don't do Lance like they did with the Lorraine story in Season 4. Lance deserves happiness, too.

Happy viewing!