Clutter and moving

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm moving to a new place and I want to be as clutter free as possible. I'm not a hoarder by any means, but as I go through my stuff in preparation for the move I'm to throw as much as possible. I have so many things that I keep in drawers and boxes that I never look at. Some are necessary papers(tax documents, etc), but do much are sentimental things(old cards, letters, photographs), books, clothes I haven't worn in years, etc.
Anyone here have any experience or tips going from clutter to a minimalist setting?

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I haven’t moved now in 15 years but as a rule I always tried to make moving as easy as possible. When it comes to moving I have one philosophy; if I don’t need it then out it goes. I was always surprised at how much stuff I was able to throw out at moving time. My family would laugh at some of the things I would get rid of but my philosophy was let’s make the move as easy as possible on all of us. And I could always replace anything I got rid of once I got situated in the new place, kind of a fresh start.

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I am definitely not a minimalist but here are some things I've learned (often the hard way):

Papers: set them aside and focus on other things during the day, leave paperwork for when you're watching TV. Start by sorting: "keep", "shred" and "recycle". Next, sort the "keep" pile in to categories like "medical", "auto", etc.
Storage containers: don't run out and buy a bunch at the start of your project, wait until you are well into it to determine what sizes and shapes you need - or if you need them at all.
Towels and blankets: instead of trashing them donate them to a local animal shelter/rescue, they are often in need of them.
Paint and painting supplies: check with local schools to see if they can use them to paint backdrops for school plays or for art projects.
Selling: unless you're experienced at having yard sales or selling on sites like eBay you may not want to try that now as it may only add to the stress of moving. If you have something truly valuable consider having someone sell it on your behalf for a commission.
Be brutally honest with yourself: don't hold onto clothes you'll never wear again. Don't keep kitchen gadget that you never use. I hate to think of how long I held onto a meat slicer (the kind the butcher at the deli uses) without ever using it.
Reach out to family: maybe you don't have space for Grandma's cookie jar but someone else does and would love to have it.
Curbside donations: I'm not talking about dropping things at the curb of Goodwill or some other charity; I'm talking about leaving it at your own curb. I live on a street that gets a fair amount of traffic and I don't have a Home Owners Association (thank goodness). I've had quite a bit of luck setting larger items like furniture out at the curb on clear days with a "FREE" sign; they've been picked up within a few hours.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I wouldn't say I am a hoarder, but I like things. I like to own stuff. I like to get things that I want and to own them. I don't have enough space though and so am hoping to have a shed built by the end of summer so I can store some things in that. I used to keep all kinds of papers and documents. Last year in the first lockdown I sorted and got rid of most of it. Bank statements going back 20 years. I could have no use for those whatsoever. I like DVDs, and CDs. I have a lot, but I only buy them if I love them. I don't have shows or movies or music I don't like. I know everything is heading to a digital format or has been already but that makes me feel like I don't own anything. It's not tangible.
I ideally need another room in our house just for my belongings, but that can't happen until my brother moves out. Then at least I can have another room or large closet besides my bedroom for me to store my belongings and whatever I have collected.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm moving to a new place and I want to be as clutter free as possible. I'm not a hoarder by any means, but as I go through my stuff in preparation for the move I'm to throw as much as possible. I have so many things that I keep in drawers and boxes that I never look at. Some are necessary papers(tax documents, etc), but do much are sentimental things(old cards, letters, photographs), books, clothes I haven't worn in years, etc.
Anyone here have any experience or tips going from clutter to a minimalist setting?

I struggle with the same thing. I find that I throw away things more efficiantly when I am annoyed or fed up with clutter. I need to be in the right mood or it won't work. I am less sentimental when I'm annoyed.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Not quite on the scale of moving house however the last time I re-painted the whole interior of the house I had a skip bin positioned out on the road, plus a trestle table. Each room was emptied of all its contents. Once the room was ready I went through everything. Some stuff went into the skip while good stuff I had no desire to keep went on the trestle table with a sign which said "Free." Things on the trestle table didn't stay long. I got rid of my entire CD collection. I have 2 desktop computers and while painting I would play and rip the CD's to my computers. I would then perform back ups.

To say I was ruthless in my approach when getting rid of junk is an understatement. Each room now has only furnishings required. When I had the kitchen renovated many years ago I tossed everything out; pots, pans and utensils. When the kitchen was completed I purchased high quality products which will serve us for years to come. Much kinder to the environment.

There is something liberating about letting go of "stuff" which ties us down.