Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I'm the bearer of good news today it seems :(

Comedian Tom O'Connor died in hospital on Sunday aged 81, his family has said.

He had had Parkinson's for about 14 years said his daughter-in-law, the former athlete Denise Lewis.

O'Connor rose to fame on TV show Opportunity Knocks, which he won three times.

He went on to star in The Comedians and host shows including Name That Tune, Crosswits and the Tom O'Connor Show.

He leaves a wife and four children.

O'Connor was born in Bootle, Merseyside, and went on to become a maths teacher and assistant headteacher.

He started his showbusiness career as a singer, before introducing comedy into his act - he was still teaching during the day, and performing on the club circuit at night.

1626616055385.png

Jessie

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Sad news, condolences to his family and friends. :rip:

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This is very sad news. I used to see him occasionally in a café near Finchley Road station sat quietly on his own eating fish and chips at lunchtime. He always seemed very humble and down to earth. It always surprised me to see him as I don't think he lived in that area. He was a massive star on TV in the 80s and 90s but I hadn't seen him on screen or heard anything about him so it was nice to see him in the café. I never said anything to him when I saw him as he seemed as though he didn't want any attention.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm serious i have no idea who the man even is, is a comedian from the UK? i have no idea i'm sorry to hear that he died of course but this is the 1st time in my life i've even learned about this guy

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Hero
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Sad to see he had been battling Parkinson’s for so long. Such a dreadful disease. Hopefully his suffering is now over, and well wishes and strength to his family.
RIP

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I'm serious i have no idea who the man even is, is a comedian from the UK? i have no idea i'm sorry to hear that he died of course but this is the 1st time in my life i've even learned about this guy
It wouldn't be that unusual if you're in the US not to have heard about a UK comedian who isn't well known outside the UK.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It wouldn't be that unusual if you're in the US not to have heard about a UK comedian who isn't well known outside the UK.
Yes, Sarah is correct but in the UK he was a major star. In the 1970s he used to host a prime-time variety show on TV called Wednesday At 8 and it was the top rated TV programme at the time. In recent years he was much more low profile so many younger people may not have heard of him but people of a certain generation will appreciate how big a star he was.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
a vast majority of things i love that are outside the US are either UK based or Canada based as a matter of fact.such as The Barenaked ladies for example. with the UK doctor who and there's a lot of comedians from the UK i have heard of i'm a huge Monty Python fan and i love the vast majority of their albums but this guy i've never heard of or his show but though we do have BBC America now i really doubt we had it back than and they don't play older stuff in other than Doctor who once in awhile. but sure they play Star trek The Next Generation but i'm talking about shows from 70's other than Doctor Who of course.