• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

World Cup Tournament Coming Soon - The World Cup Of Soap Operas

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards

The next Soapchat World Cup will be between the soap operas themselves, competing against each other to find your outright winner.

There will be 32 soap operas taking part in the final tournament, after the qualifying rounds have been completed. To ensure the qualifying stages don't go on for too long, I will pre-select about half the soaps to automatically qualify (based on my perception of their popularity on Soapchat and in the wider world) and the remaining places will be chosen by forum members after a nomination and voting process.

Soap operas from any country, any era, prime-time or daytime, TV or radio, will be eligible to take part.

The rules of the game will be the same as before (see link here).

Further details to follow.

If you have any questions please post them on this thread.

Last edited:

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Oh how lovely! Fresh from the vineyard. A bribe you might say ;)

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh how lovely! Fresh from the vineyard. A bribe you might say ;)
I don't have to be a genius to guess which soap you will be rooting for but like the FIFA World Cup, there are always surprises.

K

Karin Schill

I know which my most favorites are. Now let's just hope that my top three soaps won't have to battle each other too early on in the game. My nightmare scenario was still in the Dallas one when JR/SE had to battle each other out in the first round. That was not fun. :(

So which 16 soaps are pre-selected?

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I know which my most favorites are. Now let's just hope that my top three soaps won't have to battle each other too early on in the game. My nightmare scenario was still in the Dallas one when JR/SE had to battle each other out in the first round. That was not fun. :(

I think those dilemmas are what makes the game unpredictable and interesting. If every round was JR vs Charley Wade or Sue Ellen vs Laurel Ellis it would be far less fun. That said, it will be entirely random which soaps be drawn against each other.

So which 16 soaps are pre-selected?

Everything will be revealed soon at the appropriate time. :)

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
@stevew - well yes I know, thank you! ;)

(Isn't she??! Sooooooooo beautiful :) )

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards

More details.

There will be 4 qualifying rounds based on regions of the world where the soap opera originated. As this forum is in the English language, the focus will mainly, but not exclusively, be on English speaking countries.

The qualifying rounds will be as follows:

1. UK (12 soaps of which 6 will be pre-selected)

2. USA (12 soaps of which 6 will be pre-selected)

3. Australia (6 soaps of which 3 will be pre-selected)

4. Rest of the world and/or soaps not in the English language (2 soaps of which none will be pre-selected)

Further details to follow.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Rest of the world and/or soaps not in the English language (2 soaps of which none will be pre-selected)

...and from Sweden, the last qualified soap to enter is Rederiet.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I wish I could spell the one that Linda and Larry appeared briefly in in Germany in the early 90s. I could say it but I can't spell it...

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I wonder what foreign soaps Angela has selected for the WC.

I've put the relevant bit in bold.

4. Rest of the world and/or soaps not in the English language (2 soaps of which none will be pre-selected)

Forum members will select the soaps from the Rest of the World. My favourite soap not in the English language is Chateauvallon which is why I included it in my banner above. I'm not sure yet if I will nominate or vote for it when the qualifying rounds begin.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
...and from Sweden, the last qualified soap to enter is Rederiet.

What about Skilda Varldar? I read it was one of the most popular Swedish soaps of all time. Based on the Australian series Sons and Daughters.