Conundrum

kcmimichar

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Chinatown
After the disaster that was Conundrum it's just a shame that when they were green lighting J.R Returns someone didn't pipe up and suggest a final 5 part mini series, which would have been a far better way to go out.
Love that idea!!! They shouldn't have called it JR returns.....it gave it away!!!

Snarky Oracle

Telly Talk Oracle
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
Someone I used to watch DALLAS with (and dub fake dialogue to the episodes -- we were brilliant) once asked if I thought JR was capable of committing suicide. I said: "no, but Larry Hagman could" (under the right circumstances).

Who knew that JR would commit suicide twice??

kcmimichar

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Chinatown
What I find quite hilarious now is that the fans only want to re-watch classic Dallas (before it went dreamlike) whilst most of the cast relish the idea of making more.

Like....who do they think they are making more for...?
This is just my opinion...but I they shouldn't have waited until 2012 to do a "continuation". They should have done it right around 2004 after the Return to SouthFork Reunion. Larry was in better health and even Ken was in better health. (God Bless them both because you could see that their health was failing.) Also, 2012 was a big leap between the original and the "continuation".

Karin Schill

Staff Member
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I agree the Dallas continuation in 2012 came a bit too late. They also lost precious time between the announcement in 2009 and the launching of the show since CC was tied up on some other project. It they had worked a bit faster we could have gotten at least one more season with Larry. :(

After the disaster that was Conundrum it's just a shame that when they were green lighting J.R Returns someone didn't pipe up and suggest a final 5 part mini series, which would have been a far better way to go out.
Excellent idea. A five part mini-series to wrap it up the way it had begun would have been great. But I've heard somewhere that JR Returns wasn't really supposed to be a reunion movie but more like a pilot for a possible new series. But it wasn't picked up. Instead two more reunion movies were ordered but after War of the Ewings they cancelled the third reunion movie which was supposed to have been the last installment.

I also strongly suspect that the "Julia" character in "JR Returns" was Pam in the original draft as I remember reading an article at the time that said VP wanted to read the script carefully before she decided if she would come back or not. The first thing I read about the reunion in the fall of 1995 even said VP was on board. So I remember being disappointed when I realized she wasn't.

Via The Void

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Sadly I think for the original series and the Cyntax continuation spun from it I don't think Dallas will be back with another series.

If Dallas is ever to return it will have to be a complete reboot with new actors playing the roles made famous by the cast of the original series.

Not that I don't love the original Lorimar series. I do. I love it very much. I'm being realistic. If Warner Bros. so desire to make money from the old Dallas series by retooling it for a 2020's audience then a complete series reboot is the likeliest way forward. :)