• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Coronavirus - Victoria ticket worker dies after being spat at

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Everyday I'm saddened by the numbers of people in the UK who are dying of Covid-19 but never more so than hearing of the death of Belly Mujinga who was spat at by some low life who said he had coronavirus. He not only spat at Belly but also at her colleague and they both contracted Covid-19. Belly never recovered and later died.

This has to be one of the most shocking, sad and tragic stories that has come out of this coronavirus crisis. The man that spat at her needs to be caught quickly so he can be put away for murder.

Today when we clap for key workers we should clap just that bit louder to show our appreciation for the key workers who are keeping our public transport system running.

Coronavirus: Victoria ticket worker dies after being spat at

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
It's awful isn't it? :( What a beautiful lady.

Some debate has opened up amongst some of my friends about the clapping each Thursday. Where I do agree that the NHS doctors and nurses deserve our utmost appreciation, I would like to see some recognition for other key workers too.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Some debate has opened up amongst some of my friends about the clapping each Thursday. Where I do agree that the NHS doctors and nurses deserve our utmost appreciation, I would like to see some recognition for other key workers too.
:clap:

I think the weekly applause has moved on from just clapping the NHS and now covers all key workers and rightly so.

On my street a woman always shouts "NHS" when she claps on Thursdays and I sometimes shout back "CARE WORKERS" and "SHOP WORKERS". Today I will shout "PUBLIC TRANSPORT WORKERS".

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
The clap isnt just for NHS staff now, its opened up

Agree @Angela Channing If they were to ever find the person who spat at her, they should be tried for murder. Disgusting behaviour but sadly seen in A+E depts on a regular basis by some sick :censer: or drunk.

we had patients today move from a +ve bay into a -ve bay, its lovely to see :)

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
we had patients today move from a +ve bay into a -ve bay, its lovely to see :)
I never tire of when they show on the news someone leaving a Covid-19 ward after they have recovered. It makes a lovely change from all the depressing stuff on the virus that dominates news bulletins every day.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Good to know @Barbara Fan.

I’m a key worker too apparently (don’t want applause). I’m applauding for my vets tonight - my pets are so important to me and they’ve been open throughout.

My Tesco staff have been amazing too.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Everyday I'm saddened by the numbers of people in the UK who are dying of Covid-19 but never more so than hearing of the death of Belly Mujinga who was spat at by some low life who said he had coronavirus. He not only spat at Belly but also at her colleague and they both contracted Covid-19. Belly never recovered and later died.

This has to be one of the most shocking, sad and tragic stories that has come out of this coronavirus crisis. The man that spat at her needs to be caught quickly so he can be put away for murder.

Life imprisonment, I would imagine, given the gravity of what was done.

K

Karin Schill

I'm appalled by this behavior. How can someone be so delibertely cruel? :yikey:
I think most people who knew they had the virus would stay at home to protect others. So this is mind boggling.

I guess we don't know if the person who spat at her survived his own Covid-19 infection. If he didn't there will be no punishment.

Swami

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
On the Isle Of Man, several people have been jailed for a number of weeks for deliberating spitting/coughing at police officers so surely this case, when someone has lost their life as a result, merits tougher measures.

Swami

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52938155

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has been asked to review evidence into the death of railway worker who was reportedly spat at by a man claiming to have coronavirus.

British Transport Police (BTP) concluded last week Belly Mujinga's death was not linked to the incident and closed the case.

More than a million people have signed a petition in support of Ms Mujinga.

BTP said it requested the review in light of the "wider public interest".

Ms Mujinga , 47, died with Covid-19 on 5 April, a few weeks after an incident at London's Victoria station.

BTP interviewed a 57-year-old man but said "there was insufficient evidence to support a prosecution based upon the allegation that the man spat deliberately on Mrs Mujinga or said that he had the virus".

The man also gave a negative antibody test, showing he had never had the illness, and the force subsequently decided not to refer the case to the CPS.

Image copyright Family handout
Image caption Belly Mujinga leaves behind a husband and an 11-year-old daughter

In a new statement on Friday, BTP said it had invited the CPS to conduct an independent review of the available evidence, and whether there were any further lines of inquiry.

BTP said it understood the depth of feeling over the case and that there were further questions over how it was decided there was insufficient proof of a crime to justify a prosecution.

"We can assure the public that we have comprehensively reviewed all the available evidence and have not identified any offences or behaviour that meets the threshold for prosecution," it said.

British Transport Police said last week it decided not to take the case further.

The petition seeks justice for the family of Ms Mujinga, and her husband Lusamba thanked those who have signed it, saying they had been on a "rollercoaster of emotions".

The public reaction to the case being closed took the family by surprise, he said, adding it had come amid anger over the killing of George Floyd in the US.

He said: "On Wednesday, thousands of people protested in London to cry it loud that black lives matter.

"Black lives do matter. Belly's life mattered.

"It mattered to me, to our daughter, our friends and family, to Belly's colleagues, and now it matters to many thousands of you out there."

Angie Doll, managing director of Southern Railway and Gatwick Express, said: "Our hearts go out to Belly's family who we continue to offer our deepest sympathies to.

"While the conclusion of the BTP investigation found no evidence of spitting, any loss of one of our dedicated colleagues from coronavirus is one too many.

"Our absolute focus remains on keeping all of our colleagues safe, and we continue to follow all government health advice to protect them."

Last edited:

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
The previous statement by the British Transport police puzzled me. They didn't charge the man with anything, not even assault for spitting at Ms Mujinga and her colleague so were they suggesting that they were lying about the attack? If that was the case why didn't they charge the surviving woman for wasting police time? However, there were 2 witness to the assault: Ms Mujinga and her colleague. Also their manager who they went to after the incident occurred must have been able to give a statement that the aftermath he saw was consistent with their story.

Is this a case that to the police her life didn't really matter and it's easier to close the case than to put more resources on getting to the truth?