Coronation Street Corrie

Englishboy

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Actress, Melanie Hill who plays Cathy Mathews is quitting the soap after seven years on the cobbles.
She exited the serial in last night’s episode.

It was a whimper of a departure with her character relocating to nearby Chorlton.

Now that she’s gone, what is the point of keeping Brian in the show?

Englishboy

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I just saw on Twitter that today marks 20 years since Bet Lynch’s ill-fated return to the Street, which you can watch in all it’s glory here.

Thanks for posting this.

The brassy, ballsy but ultimately very vulnerable Bet played so superbly by the very able Julie Goodyear is easily my favourite ever character on the cobbles.

It’s a shame that her return in 2002 didn’t work out although she did reprise the role for a few episodes filmed in Blackpool the following year - to date, her final appearance in the show.

I would love it if she could return to Weatherfield one more time, even if it was only for a handful of episodes.

Walford Boy

LV

Reaction score
Awards
She exited the serial in last night’s episode.

It was a whimper of a departure with her character relocating to nearby Chorlton.

Now that she’s gone, what is the point of keeping Brian in the show?
Perhaps he will be Rita's side kick a little like Norris, but Barbara Knox is in very few episodes these days. I think the Kabin will be Brian's domain.

Walford Boy

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Summer Summer Summer I don't care. :rolleyes:

Sad to see the talented Melanie Hill leave. Such a waste, treated badly by CS, they could have made more of the character, I preferred Cathy with Roy. I don't blame her for moving on. CS did the same with Claire King, I remember an interview with Claire and she remarked on how the script writers did not know what to do with her character.

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thanks for posting this.

The brassy, ballsy but ultimately very vulnerable Bet played so superbly by the very able Julie Goodyear is easily my favourite ever character on the cobbles.

It’s a shame that her return in 2002 didn’t work out although she did reprise the role for a few episodes filmed in Blackpool the following year - to date, her final appearance in the show.

I would love it if she could return to Weatherfield one more time, even if it was only for a handful of episodes.
I always thought that there was scope for her to return while Liz was still on the show, as it would’ve been believable for Bet to pop in to visit her friend. Nowadays, there’s unfortunately very little to plausibly draw Bet back to the Street. Even something like a terminally ill Bet returning to bury the hatchet with Rita before she dies, might be stretching it a bit, considering their friendship collapsed 27 years ago now!

Carrie Fairchild

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I seem to remember that there was also talk, at one point, of Bet returning for old friend, Betty Turpin’s funeral, which would have also been plausible, but in the event, sadly, it never happened.
I remember this too. There was a period when Julie participated in quite a few Corrie documentaries or interviews around anniversaries, as well as the ill fated musical, so she was quite close to the show again for a while but unfortunately no producer saw fit to bring her back, even for a guest stint.