• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Cybill (TV series)

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
CYBILL is an American television sitcom that aired on CBS from January 2, 1995, to July 13, 1998, totaling four seasons and 87 half-hour episodes.

The series stars Cybill Shepherd as Cybill Sheridan, an aging actress who has had a varied, but fairly mediocre career. Maryann Thorpe (played by Christine Baranski) is Cybill's closest friend, who once worked as a receptionist, but is now extremely wealthy because of the divorce settlement she received from her ex-husband, plastic surgeon Richard Thorpe. Cybill has two children: Zoey Woodbine (played by Alicia Witt), a rebellious, but intelligent high school student with a more sarcastic tongue than her mother, and Rachel Robbins Manning (played by Dedee Pfeiffer), Cybill's eldest daughter, who is uptight and married to Kevin Manning (played by Peter Krause), an assistant professor. Cybill's two ex-husbands are often frequenters of the story lines: Jeff Robbins (Tom Wopat), Rachel's father, who is a successful stunt man with a roaming eye, and Ira Woodbine (played by Alan Rosenberg), Zoey's father, a brilliant writer prone to writer's block.

CYBILL was a rather successful TV show of its time, and I've caught it occasionally on some no-name networks in reruns. I believe it was Tubi or Crackle that once had the series available to stream for free, but I've only watched the first couple of episodes.

Any fans?​

1627575634123.png

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think Christine Baranski's character, Maryann (along with Karen on Will & Grace) owes a debt to Joanna Lumley's character, Patsy, on Absolutely Fabulous. Cybill Shepherd is her own worst enemy: she had a hit series which could have had a longer run but she let her ego get in the way which, I believe, led to the show's cancellation. Shepherd was said to have been jealous that Baranski was getting most of the laughs. Shepherd would have done well to emulate Mary Tyler Moore who didn't care who was getting the laughs as long as the audience was laughing.

Chuck Lorre produced Cybill for its first two seasons; I don't know what it is about Lorre that draws him to difficult stars, he has also worked with (and had run-ins with) Roseanne Barr and Charlie Sheen.

Cybill reminds me of High Society which debuted on CBS several months later, High Society starred Jean Smart and Mary McDonnell. Smart's character also appeared to be inspired by Patsy Stone. The character of McDonnell's college student son, who disapproves of the behavior of his mother and her friend, is similar to Ab Fab's Saffron.

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I recall CYBILL being a very run-of-the-mill sitcom. I watched it, to some extent at least, but barely remember a thing about it. I think Morgan Fairchild showed up a few times as a rival to Cybill's character.

Cybill reminds me of High Society which debuted on CBS several months later, High Society starred Jean Smart and Mary McDonnell. Smart's character also appeared to be inspired by Patsy Stone. The character of McDonnell's college student son, who disapproves of the behavior of his mother and her friend, is similar to Ab Fab's Saffron.

There were a couple shows in the mid-90s that were clearly inspired by ABFAB, but only in a watered-down for American network TV kind of way. Roseanne even talked about doing an American remake; it's been my suspicion that her failure to get that made resulted in her own show's weird, last season swerve away from blue collar comedy.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
High Society was indeed the most obvious of the AbFab clones, and though it was funny enough I don't think it "had legs".

I adored Cybill (the show and the actress). I still put on an occasional episode (on Tubi) to re-live the good old days. It's been off the air long enough for me to forget most of the plots, so it's like watching something new.

Most recently I watched an episode where Cybill was considering reconciling with Ira, but ended up getting romantically "entangled" with a younger man she was performing a play with (played by Kevin Sorbo at the height of his Hercules body and hairstyle). He's crushing on her but Cybill's all torn up about hurting the guy's feelings; Mary Ann advises Cybill to "ride that young buck! Ride him off into the sunset!" In the end she lets the guy down easy, saying they ought not get involved since they're working together and she's "a little" too old for him. In the final scene we see he's "moved on" from his crush on Cybill, waking up in bed next to a very pleased Zsa Zsa Gabor.

The producers did a great job drawing the characters and making all of them (not just the star) seem like three-dimensional beings. I liked how Zoe hid how mature and talented she really was from her parents and pretended to be this rude, sarcastic teen with no life. I could see how Cybill would have married both Jeff and Ira, and though they were polar opposites the two exes could actually co-miserate as continuous parts of Cybill's life. And who can forget the endless, epic campaign of pranks and practical jokes Mary Ann waged against Dr. DICK? My favorite gag? I'm torn between where she called the FBI and told them Dr. Dick was the Unabomber, and when she had his swimming pool filled with liquid sewage.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i don't remember much about it other than i loved the show and this was the show that really got me to be a fan of Hers and Christine Baranski i had never even heard of before this show.i mean i had Heard of Cybil but i didn't really become a fan of hers until she did this show. what's really f... up is the behind the scenes and that's why it was cancelled i believe. i never saw the entire run cause i lost track what the hell was going on bu if i recall though i haven't seen it i believe it did end on a cliff-hanger.

the girl that played her Daughter Alicia Witt was the little girl in Twin Peaks she also was one of my favorite movies "Four Rooms ( 1995) for those who love Twin Peaks she was the little girl who played the piano

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Cybill Shepherd is her own worst enemy: she had a hit series which could have had a longer run but she let her ego get in the way which, I believe, led to the show's cancellation. Shepherd was said to have been jealous that Baranski was getting most of the laughs. Shepherd would have done well to emulate Mary Tyler Moore who didn't care who was getting the laughs as long as the audience was laughing.
That seems to be a semi-recurring theme among actors starring in their own titular television series. I think Mary Tyler Moore and Andy Griffith are two stars that were just fine with the audience making a breakout character out of their sidekick: Rhoda and Barney emerged as fan favorites. That didn't seem to bother neither Moore or Griffith in the slightest.

I know Linda Lavin apparently loathed that Polly Holliday and her Florence Jean Castleberry character became some popular on ALICE in the late-'70s. So irked was Lavin that she practically pushed Holliday to do her own spin-off FLO (which lasted a season-and-a-half before getting chopped). Even with Holliday off doing her own show, Lavin still managed to feud with Holliday's on-screen replacement Diane Ladd. She didn't make it to 25 episodes before she exited the show to be replaced by Celia Weston.

When ALICE aired its finale in 1985, neither Polly Holliday or Diane Ladd were shown in flashbacks. They were ignored altogether.​

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Harry Anderson was another actor who did not mind being overshadowed on "his" show (in this case, Night Court). John Larroquette's Dan Fielding character really took off (and JL won multiple, consecutive Emmys) but to Anderson's credit, he just sat back and let Larroquette do his thing. It helped the ratings and longevity of the show they were all benefitting from, keeping them all employed and in the public eye.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I loved how Cybill would open the episodes with a snip/bit of one of her character's latest acting jobs, usually some humiliating bit from a commercial or a low-budget horror movie. Sometimes the scene would set up the plot of the episode, but mostly they were just sight gags (like Cybill in alien make-up or her getting "killed" with a rubber knife). It was a great hook to get people to keep watching.

In one episode, she was the perky star of a grocery-store ad, where she kept saying "Can DO!" with a psychotic grin on her face. Later in the episode, when she met a young girl who turned out to be her long-lost niece, the niece recognizes her from TV and exclaims "Oh, my God! You're the 'Can-Do lady'!" with admiration.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Cybill Shepherd played April Sinclaire -- the creator of Victoria Chase's soap opera EDGE OF TOMORROW -- on a Season 3 episode of HOT IN CLEVELAND.

1680746529286.png

AndyB2008

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Titanic
i don't remember much about it other than i loved the show and this was the show that really got me to be a fan of Hers and Christine Baranski i had never even heard of before this show.i mean i had Heard of Cybil but i didn't really become a fan of hers until she did this show. what's really f... up is the behind the scenes and that's why it was cancelled i believe. i never saw the entire run cause i lost track what the hell was going on bu if i recall though i haven't seen it i believe it did end on a cliff-hanger.

the girl that played her Daughter Alicia Witt was the little girl in Twin Peaks she also was one of my favorite movies "Four Rooms ( 1995) for those who love Twin Peaks she was the little girl who played the piano
Alicia was also in the film Urban Legend with Jared Leto, Tara Reid and Rebecca Gayheart.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
who can forget the endless, epic campaign of pranks and practical jokes Mary Ann waged against Dr. DICK?
Yes, it all started here for Christine Baranski. "Dr. Dick!" remains one of my all-time favourite TV quotes, but of course it's meaningless out of context.
There were a couple shows in the mid-90s that were clearly inspired by ABFAB, but only in a watered-down for American network TV kind of way. Roseanne even talked about doing an American remake;
I remember when they were talking about doing an American version of AbFab, someone said, "but Cybill is already the American version of AbFab".

TaranofPrydain

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Modern Times
I think Christine Baranski's character, Maryann (along with Karen on Will & Grace) owes a debt to Joanna Lumley's character, Patsy, on Absolutely Fabulous. Cybill Shepherd is her own worst enemy: she had a hit series which could have had a longer run but she let her ego get in the way which, I believe, led to the show's cancellation. Shepherd was said to have been jealous that Baranski was getting most of the laughs. Shepherd would have done well to emulate Mary Tyler Moore who didn't care who was getting the laughs as long as the audience was laughing.

Chuck Lorre produced Cybill for its first two seasons; I don't know what it is about Lorre that draws him to difficult stars, he has also worked with (and had run-ins with) Roseanne Barr and Charlie Sheen.

I think for Cybill it might have bordered on the pathological. I always think that she was desperate to be accepted by critics as an actress, and for one reason or another, she always got overshadowed by her co-stars. It did not help matters that the first season out, Baranski won an Emmy (mirroring Willis winning an Emmy for Moonlighting while Cybill didn't), while Cybill, who was the co-host of the ceremony that night and given tons of good reviews, was beaten by Candise Bergen's fifth and final win for Murphy Brown, which although it had three years left at that time, was already considered as being on the wane creatively.