• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Dad's Army

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Who loves this sit com?

I have the boxset & enjoy it very much.

The Beeb still repeat it regularly on BBC2 every now & again and it still gets great ratings.

It seems to be one of those shows like Doctor Who which appears to be ageless and as good now as it was back in the 1970's when it was first shown.

Such a lovely cast.

What are your memories of Dad's Army. :)

dads army.jpg

dads army cast1.jpg

lost-in-time

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Loooooooooooove it! The greatest UK sitcom. David Croft and Jimmy Perry wrote such great shows, I love all of them.
The characters are so well drawn from real life, everyone knows a Mainwaring, Jones or Pike. The dialogue has become a massive part of the UK lexicon (Don’t tell him Pike, They don’t like it up em, We’re doomed, Stupid Boy etc.)
If I’m feeling poorly or down in the dumps, I’ll put this on and instantly feel cheered up.
Some of my dearest memories was when the show was repeated on Saturday nights in the early 90s. We’d always have a chippy tea and watch this as a family and howl with laughter.

Last edited:

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Loooooooooooove it! The greatest UK sitcom. David Croft and Jimmy Perry wrote such great shows, I love all of them.
The characters are so well drawn from real life, everyone knows a Mainwaring, Jones or Pike. The dialogue has become a massive part of the UK lexicon (Don’t tell him Pike, They don’t like it up em, We’re doomed, Stupid Boy etc.)
If I’m feeling poorly or down in the dumps, I’ll put this on and instantly feel cheered up.
Some of my dearest memories was when the show was repeated on Saturday nights in the early 90s. We’d always have a chippy tea and watch this as a family and howl with laughter.

It's as good now as it always was.

Such a great set of characters and all the actors were well cast.

Even though Jon Pertwee was the original choice for Captain Mainwaring he was far better suited as the Third Doctor in Doctor Who.

Arthur Lowe was just the best as Captain Mainwaring & John Le Mesurier perfect as Sergeant Wilson.

All the cast were great and what makes it more of a delightful show that although it was never validated on the series itself David Croft has since admitted that Private Pike's character is Sergeant Wilson's son. :)