LV

Reaction score
Awards

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Wes Parmalee character did allow for some good storylines.

This was the one time J.R. actually acknowledged some respect for Clayton Farlow. Once Wes left, J.R. announced:

"He almost got away with it. You wanna know why? Because almost everybody started to believe him, including some people in this room. The only people who held out until the very end were Bobby, Clayton, and me."

Last edited:

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards

This was the one time J.R. actually acknowledged some respect for Clayton Farlow. Once Wes left, J.R. announced:

"He almost got away with it. You wanna know why? Because almost everybody started to believe him, including some people in this room. The only people who held out until the very end were Bobby, Clayton, and me."
It was an interesting dynamic to see J.R. and Clayton on the same side of things for once. I really can’t think of another time this ever happened.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've resumed my rewatch with season 11 and it crossed my mind that the Dandy Dandridge character was a soft recast of Digger - it even says it in the title "Digger Redux."
After the blowback from the Donna Reed and Steve Forrest experiments they may have been looking for a safer option.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards

I really liked that dynamic. Ray had doubts. Ellie I think actually believed Wes was Jock. SE certainly thought it was possible. I appreciated seeing JR, Bobby, and Clayton all being on the same side. I wish they would have continued it - having those three chase Wes down and get satisfaction for all the pain he had caused the family.

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've resumed my rewatch with season 11 and it crossed my mind that the Dandy Dandridge character was a soft recast of Digger - it even says it in the title "Digger Redux.

The Dandy Dandridge character was also important for another reason.

1711737250872.png

He's the one who got Cliff thinking, "Gee, the things I'm seeing in Dandy are the same things everybody said about Digger. Maybe Jock was right after all."

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Some surveillance video needed to eventually emerge showing JR carrying a shoebox into Aunt Maggie's house. (Or wherever it was).

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
I really liked that dynamic. Ray had doubts. Ellie I think actually believed Wes was Jock. SE certainly thought it was possible. I appreciated seeing JR, Bobby, and Clayton all being on the same side. I wish they would have continued it - having those three chase Wes down and get satisfaction for all the pain he had caused the family.

Yeah it's a shame it just fizzled out after the barbecue.

I would've liked to have seen Clayton, Bobby and JR find him in some motel.

They break in to talk to him and Wes suffers a heart attack. JR holds him as Wes asks Junior to call for an ambulance! We see a flashback to Jim Davis at Southfork where Jock suffered his first heart attack. Bobby and JR exchange glances as when they're helping him they notice the faint hint of a scar where Jock had open heart surgery! Could it be Wes was telling the truth all along? :)

Last edited:

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Could it be Wes was telling the truth all along? :)

And this is where the writers missed an opportunity. Instead of ending it by saying, "Wes wasn't Jock" they could have had Wes mysteriously disappear one night.

Did he leave on his own?
Did J.R. arrange to have him dragged out of town?
Did this finally push Clayton too far and he took matters into his own hands?

If they left it up in the air, it would have made for interesting discussions and even opened up future storylines.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Did this finally push Clayton too far and he took matters into his own hands?
I thought for sure that Wes would turn up dead and Clayton would be the prime suspect. Upon many rewatches I feel even more strongly about it. They did seem to tease that scenario at the end of the Oil Baron’s Ball. Perhaps they pivoted and decided the ambiguous ending with him just walking away was better.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
I thought for sure that Wes would turn up dead and Clayton would be the prime suspect. Upon many rewatches I feel even more strongly about it. They did seem to tease that scenario at the end of the Oil Baron’s Ball. Perhaps they pivoted and decided the ambiguous ending with him just walking away was better.

It was better to leave it ambiguous. Especially as what motivated Wes to take off must've been his meeting with Jeremy Wendell who wanted to acquire Ewing Oil. When Wendell admits he doesn't care if Wes is Jock or not he just wants to stick it to the Ewing's you can literally see Wes glower at him. The real Jock Ewing wouldn't have wanted that. So it's still technically up in the air if Wes is Jock or not because of the ambiguous nature of Wes's departure. :)

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
So it's still technically up in the air if Wes is Jock or not because of the ambiguous nature of Wes's departure.
I never really cared for the ambiguous ending in the respect that I would’ve preferred a definitive answer, but the way they left it does allow us to speculate on this topic all these years later so for that I respect what they did. It’s a fascinating storyline and I never get tired of discussing it.

LMLDallas78

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This storyline really does frustrate me. Absolutely against it on original airing but have warmed to it so much in more recent years. I can now appreciate how good Steve Forrest was and how brave Dallas was to attempt to replace Jim's character but I still can't really make up my mind.

Was never sure about Sue Ellen's motives in secretly visiting him. Was it just because she knew it would irritate JR? She didn't exactly have a close relationship with Jock so I find it hard to believe her reasons could be genuine. She only started to believe him when he mentioned JR not taking to John Ross until he knew he was his Father. He told her people would say he read it in the papers but he didn't, he knew because he was there. So that's only his word?

Did the papers reveal the outcome? Did they report that JR didn't take to Baby John?

If everyone knew this, why on earth didn't Jock and Miss Ellie notice and tell JR to engage with the child? Was it simply that this was a woman's job back then so no one ever noticed that JR had nothing to do with him? EVERYONE noticed Sue Ellen's lack of maternal feelings.

Wes as Jock should have showed some regret that he didn't encourage JR to bond with his son and only viewed Sue Ellen as an heir provider.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This storyline really does frustrate me. Absolutely against it on original airing but have warmed to it so much in more recent years. I can now appreciate how good Steve Forrest was and how brave Dallas was to attempt to replace Jim's character but I still can't really make up my mind.

Was never sure about Sue Ellen's motives in secretly visiting him. Was it just because she knew it would irritate JR? She didn't exactly have a close relationship with Jock so I find it hard to believe her reasons could be genuine. She only started to believe him when he mentioned JR not taking to John Ross until he knew he was his Father. He told her people would say he read it in the papers but he didn't, he knew because he was there. So that's only his word?

Did the papers reveal the outcome? Did they report that JR didn't take to Baby John?

If everyone knew this, why on earth didn't Jock and Miss Ellie notice and tell JR to engage with the child? Was it simply that this was a woman's job back then so no one ever noticed that JR had nothing to do with him? EVERYONE noticed Sue Ellen's lack of maternal feelings.

Wes as Jock should have showed some regret that he didn't encourage JR to bond with his son and only viewed Sue Ellen as an heir provider.
I doubt it would have been reported in the papers that JR didn't warm to John Ross, but I suppose it could have been bandied around as gossip. After all, everyone knew about the paternity suit (the read the damn results at a cocktail party). Also, I suppose Jock could have talked about it during his "fever" confession in South America.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It’s quite the polarizing storyline. Upon seeing it originally I wanted him to be Jock. I would’ve had no problem with it then considering how the show was about to start its downturn. It needed a shakeup, and Jock returning would’ve definitely provided that. I didn’t see the original episodes with Jock until many years later, and after seeing him in the role I started feeling differently about it. Jim was really the only Jock for me, yet I love the Wes storyline and the idea of him being out there all those years while everyone thought he was dead only to return and reclaim his family is so intriguing.

Was never sure about Sue Ellen's motives in secretly visiting him. Was it just because she knew it would irritate JR?
I’m sure getting under J.R.’s skin was part of it at first but I think there was more to it than that. She was conflicted and wanted to find out for herself if he really was who he said he was. The fact that he told her she was much stronger than he had remembered her definitely helped his case with her. I felt that comment really touched Sue Ellen.

Perhaps, but it wasn’t really about him showing any remorse. At this point it was all about him looking for acceptance in all their lives. Wes was thinking about so many other things in order to gain credibility that he really wasn’t thinking about the paternity story that in depth other than relating it to his situation.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
How much was SE's first divorce settlement? We know it made her a wealthy woman, but we don't know what exactly she got. Was it limited to half of JR's personal wealth? If so, how did he manage to amass so much money separate from Ewing Oil and Southfork.

LMLDallas78

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A shout out to Sue Ellen and her grocery getter,
Poor Sue Ellen, she deserved better. Deprived as usual from having her own nice car. Had to wait till Kristin was sent packing before she was rewarded with her own nicer car.

I'm sure the station wagon was quite a car in it's day but I fail to see the appeal.