Dallas Random Thought Thread

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Didn't Larry Hagman once say about Debra Shelton, "Mandy"; kissing her was like, "Kissing Hitler." What did he mean by that?
I have read that too. I would think he meant it wasn't very enjoyable, but have never seen a real explanation.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Jenna and Bobby should have married. Keeping Bobby and Pam apart was their appeal. Like Gary and Val.
I’ve always had mixed feelings on this one. Of course I felt Bobby and Pam belonged together but I would’ve had no problem with Bobby and Jenna marrying. It would’ve caused a lot more drama between Bobby and Pam and Pam and Jenna as well. I’ve always said some of the very best scenes with PD and VP were when their characters were separated or divorced.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Didn't Larry Hagman once say about Debra Shelton, "Mandy"; kissing her was like, "Kissing Hitler." What did he mean by that?

I have read that too. I would think he meant it wasn't very enjoyable, but have never seen a real explanation.

I don’t know. It didn’t look like Mandy had a mustache in any of her scenes so I’m not sure what it means.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Another random thought - why do you guys think Jock added Ray to the trust without discussing it with Ellie first? She had been very accepting of Ray up until then, I don't think she would have resisted. Surely it should have crossed Jock's mind that him doing it without her knowing would make her mad as hell.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Another random thought - why do you guys think Jock added Ray to the trust without discussing it with Ellie first? She had been very accepting of Ray up until then, I don't think she would have resisted. Surely it should have crossed Jock's mind that him doing it without her knowing would make her mad as hell.
Jock wasn’t exactly the best at keeping Miss Ellie informed of his plans. He seemed to keep a lot of things private, serious things. Of course back then life was different. I think Jock just figured it was his decision and that should be good enough for her to go along with.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I didn't think about at the time but now I'm asking why JR let Kimberly Cryder manipulate him like that. I get that for the sake of drama JR was forced to choose between business and his marriage, but I can't help thinking that pre-dream JR would have found a way to have both.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I didn't think about at the time but now I'm asking why JR let Kimberly Cryder manipulate him like that. I get that for the sake of drama JR was forced to choose between business and his marriage, but I can't help thinking that pre-dream JR would have found a way to have both.
This was the point where I started getting a little tired of the J.R. character. In this season he starts to lose a little steam and you can make the argument it even started a couple of seasons earlier.

Jock's Ghost

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’ve always had mixed feelings on this one. Of course I felt Bobby and Pam belonged together but I would’ve had no problem with Bobby and Jenna marrying. It would’ve caused a lot more drama between Bobby and Pam and Pam and Jenna as well. I’ve always said some of the very best scenes with PD and VP were when their characters were separated or divorced.
Bobby just looks like the biggest douche dumping Jenna for Pam. Sure, Jenna sort of threw him a proverbial bone, but in the S10 its so cut and dry and kinda mean... PP's acting was a little better that season so I felt it. Although Charlie's whining didn't help.

Jock's Ghost

LV

Reaction score
Awards
It was a good way to plant the seed of distrust that led to their brink of divorce with Tacopica. Jock was an old-fashioned guy, he would say, 'IT'S MY MONEY, I CAN DO WHATEVER THE HELL I WANT WITH IT ANY DAMN WAY I SEE FIT." "

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
It was a good way to plant the seed of distrust that led to their brink of divorce with Tacopica. Jock was an old-fashioned guy, he would say, 'IT'S MY MONEY, I CAN DO WHATEVER THE HELL I WANT WITH IT ANY DAMN WAY I SEE FIT." "
As Jock Ewing's son, Ray had a legitimate claim to a share of the Ewing wealth, any objections by Miss Ellie would have been irrelevant.
What was probably the real issue was Gary. Miss Ellie seemed to resent that Jock had a better relationship with Ray than Gary.
Jock should have reminded Ellie that she was willing to give away SF to a brother who had been missing for decades of his own free will, thus ignoring that Jock saved SF from auction and grew both the oil and ranching business.

Jock's Ghost

LV

Reaction score
Awards
As Jock Ewing's son, Ray had a legitimate claim to a share of the Ewing wealth, any objections by Miss Ellie would have been irrelevant.
What was probably the real issue was Gary. Miss Ellie seemed to resent that Jock had a better relationship with Ray than Gary.
Jock should have reminded Ellie that she was willing to give away SF to a brother who had been missing for decades of his own free will, thus ignoring that Jock saved SF from auction and grew both the oil and ranching business.
And remind her that Gary was a miserable drunk who ran off, abandoning his teen wife and infant daughter. Gee, I wonder why Ray and Jock were closer?

Billy Wall

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And remind her that Gary was a miserable drunk who ran off, abandoning his teen wife and infant daughter. Gee, I wonder why Ray and Jock were closer?

According to Miss Ellie, Jock never tried to get to know Gary and he never truly cared for him. Even Bobby said that "Gary was never driven to be number one" and that's why Jock turned away from him. And why did he become a drunk in the first place? Jock's hands aren't clean.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
According to Miss Ellie, Jock never tried to get to know Gary and he never truly cared for him. Even Bobby said that "Gary was never driven to be number one" and that's why Jock turned away from him. And why did he become a drunk in the first place? Jock's hands aren't clean.
Jock was definitely the dominant parent. Ellie has some of the blame, but most of it falls at Jock's feet.

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
Jock was definitely the dominant parent. Ellie has some of the blame, but most of it falls at Jock's feet.
I think Ellie was more influential than that, in the sense that she allowed it, in a sort of passive aggressive way.
Ellie was content to let Jock, JR and everybody else do the work in building the oil/ranch empire, while
she enjoyed the life of wealth and privilege, and then lectured everyone hypocritically.
Ellie had more than "some" of the blame

Jock's Ghost

LV

Reaction score
Awards
At Gary and Val's wedding, Ellie actually did some self-reflection and admitted it was some of her fault. "I let them..." If Ellie was such a strong character, why did she let Jock and JR bully Gary?

Jock Ewing Fan

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Indiana Jones
At Gary and Val's wedding, Ellie actually did some self-reflection and admitted it was some of her fault. "I let them..." If Ellie was such a strong character, why did she let Jock and JR bully Gary?
I agree. She wasn't a strong character. She let Jock and JR do all the work in building The Ewing empire,
used Jock, and later Clayton, to do her bidding,
Ellie would then hypocritically lecture..anybody who (she thought) interfered with her life of wealth and privilege, which
she did nothing to earn.
and there was that laughable scene with Carter MCKay during the reange war.
George Kennedy must have been astounded at how ridiculous that this was supposed to be a strong character
And she did not exactly get the better of Lady Jessica

Donna and Rebecca were strong women, not Ellie

Last edited:

Jock's Ghost

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I agree. She wasn't a strong character. She let Jock and JR do all the work in building The Ewing empire,
used Jock, and later Clayton, to do her bidding,
Ellie would then hypocritically lecture..anybody who (she thought) interfered with her life of wealth and privilege, which
she did nothing to earn.
and there was that laughable scene with Carter MCKay during the reange war.
George Kennedy must have been astounded at how ridiculous that this was supposed to be a strong character
And she did not exactly get the better of Lady Jessica

Donna and Rebecca were strong women, not Ellie
YES. No wonder JR was who he was. Her coldness, Jock's toughness. JR did far better than most, he wasn't a rapist, murderer or substance abuser.