Dark Shadows has arrived!

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Leviathan stuff annoyed me and I thought they did a piss-poor job of explaining just what the goals of the villains were, and just how the heroes were supposed to stop them from accomplishing (un-)said goals. I know it was something they slapped together to fill air time while the main cast were off filming the first DS movie, but we would have been better off if they had just shown reruns. I guess it would count as my least-favorite period.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
it's amazing how much that storyline is hated, i don't mind it i don't hate it but it's not among my favorites either, one of the weaker ones is the Pen Story line

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
PlutoTV is really disappointing me. They have an entire channel dedicated to DS, but they only air part of the series. They pick up with Barnabas's arrival and stop shortly after the end of the Dream Curse, leaving so much un-aired. This sliver of the series can be aired (back to back) in about two weeks, and then it all starts back at that point. I want to see 1897 again. I want to see Parallel Time. I really want to see 1995. But nooooo....:mad: I know other streaming channels have it available to watch, but I just like watching it in the format/style it originally aired the way Pluto does.

One bright spot I found a few weeks ago was a "special" they aired, where someone had edited together the key scenes/events of Quentin's arrival, titled "The Haunting of Collinwood," which started with the kids finding the "dead" phone and ending with Quentin driving the family from the mansion. I couldn't believe they aired it because 1) it was not "regular" episodes, and 2) they don't air the Quentin episodes either.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Roger and David are perfectly horrible and I had never seen a father vs. child feud before! Sometimes it feels as if I'm watching Wayne Hamilton's childhood.
Always sneaky, always eavesdropping, always threatening. I love it.
Sam Evans has been recast, maybe temporarily, but he's very good.
Carolyn has a special interest in Burke but she's very in denial about it. Like most troubled soap women she doesn't understand herself.

I can't imagine what it's going to look like with vampires, it seems so unrealistic at this point in the story. How will it present itself? Just....knock-knock?

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
instead of watching it on Pluto why not just buy it on dvd? that's what i did i have the entire series on dvd i don't own the box though i bought the separate and it took me 15 years to get the entire show!

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
the dvd box set is prolly cheaper than spending all of them one at a time. but that's just a guess. i prefer physical anyways whenever i want to watch it i can go to my self and put it on. Amazon prime you have to pay for it to watch it, some of IMDB has it to watch for free but prime has the rest where you have to pay for it.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
instead of watching it on Pluto why not just buy it on dvd?
I don't have a DVD player, so unless I can hold the DVDs up to the light to watch the episodes, that's not really an option. ;) I bought a player about fifteen (?) years ago and rarely used it, so when I moved I donated it to lighten my load. I got more use out of my old VCR than a DVD player, but both are long gone.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i don't have a dvd player anymore but i have a blu-ray player, than i have one in my PS3, my PS4 and my PS5 and my PS5 plays 4K as well as my one X does. my PS2 though plays only dvd's. than you have my PC that plays dvd's as well. your laptop prolly could play them as well. and i do have a VCR and i haven't used it in a couple years but i still have one.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i love her long hair too but it was done differently really i think cause the show at some point entered the Hippy era.

i finished The Beginning Set Vol. 4 late last night now i'm episode #144

Last edited:

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm really loving the show currently with the wrap up of all those fall of 1968 plots and the return of the pure gothicness with ghosts all over the place, Vicki lost in time and space and the Turn of the Screw aspirations of course.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I find it so hilarious.
Bill Malloy wants to know what Roger Collins may have said to Sam Evans, Roger Collins wants to know what Sam Evans may have said to Burke Devlin, Sam Evans wants to know what Maggie wanted to say to Roger Collins, Elizabeth Stoddard wonders what Sam Evans was trying to tell her.
Sam tells Bill that he almost told Elizabeth the whole story, but he doesn't confide in him and therefore Bill is still none the wiser.
The only one who's actually talking is Joe Haskell, but only when he's drunk.
Victoria Winters calls herself Victoria Winters, but is that her real name? If not, then that would be an epic retcon.
Maggie is sweet and innocent, she doesn't believe in sinister plots.
Carolyn is attracted to Burke the way Fallon was attracted to Cecil Colby (and the Dynasty heiress also ignored her boyfriend).

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
well you are right, if you want to know who her parents are the audio plays tells you, i dunno if that's cannon or not though DS. pretty much wraps up all their storylines except for who her parents were/are. than when she left that show it's never spoken of again

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Roger calls Victoria a "Miss Pollyanna in a world of pain".

DARK SHADOWS does the typical daytime "beat around the bush" dialogue which, I reckon, can be a difficult thing for the actors to sink their teeth into.
But whenever they're allowed to do more than the plot I think it looks really good.
Louis Edmonds has the flair for Roger's wit and cynicism, and Nancy Barrett is naturally sparkly and likeable, like Charlene Tilton.
Frank Schofield as Bill Malloy is very entertaining, he makes it all sound so very important. Before Dark Shadows, Frank had starred in an obscure soap opera A Flame in the Wind (TV Series 1964–1966) - IMDb
The actress playing Victoria Winters often seems a little out of her depth, but that's basically what she's telling us at the beginning of every episode.
There's something very amusing about her wooden optimism and ignorance. Miss Pollyanna indeed.
Joan Bennett struggles the most with the script, but she plays the character who knows everybody and therefore she has to remember all the names. She seems like a lovely person.
Interesting stunt: Roger Collins throws darts while Bill Malloy is standing next to the dartboard. I guess it's also metaphorical because Bill doesn't stop pestering him.

I have a feeling that a character is going to die very soon. But who? And how?

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The actress playing Victoria Winters often seems a little out of her depth, but that's basically what she's telling us at the beginning of every episode.
Moltke clearly isn't the best actress, but I enjoy the energy she brings on screen - she seems out of her depth like you said, but it's also what Victoria is so it works for her. Overall the casting of Dark Shadows has been excellent - they clearly know when to use actors and when to get rid of those that doesn't quite work.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
what episode are you on now anyways? one thing you will learn once you get more into the Supernatural is that there are some cast members who are good actors or actress's on the show but they are out of their element and here's why., Nancy Barrett who is really damn good on the show but when the show started to go Supernatural and she had to act scared she was really bad i think at it. it's not all her fault cause as i've said on here before Lela Swift i dunno about the other directors but she would grade them on how far they would go over the top. and by doing that though it was meant to challenge them my guess to give a better performance didn't work with everyone. Grayson Hall when she had to act scared was simply terrible when she wasn't she was really good on the show but when she was suppose to act terrified she was painful to watch. i think Alexandra as well was part of that too for some scenes on the show i think certain cast members were out of their element and were so new to acting on film/tv like say Kathryn Leigh Scott i believe Dark Shadows was her 1st job i think? Lara Parker also had her 1st job with DS as well.

the other thing that also didn't help was the Teleprompter that part of the reason Alexandra had trouble reading it and my guess also did hurt her performance was the fact that she wears glasses in real life and she was unable to wear them for whatever reason on the show. so no doubt she had trouble reading and even that, cast members had trouble remembering lines as well. and it didn't hurt when they got new lines that same day and didn't have time to rehearse them.

that's what you will notice when they get more into the supernatural you will see more clearly their strength and their weakness as a performer. another thing they did i dunno if they did it on purpose or not was they did the same thing with Vicki that they did with Pamela Barnes they dumbed her down. both Pammy and VIcki started out as pretty strong characters i dunno why that was changed ?

Vicki of the two really became really stupid her saying i don't understand i think should be her mantra on how many times she says that during her tenure on the show.
you can get drunk if you ever tried to count them. she also became to Alexandra a pretty Dull character that they like Pammy didn't do much with at some point. the idea was to make her the audience and i get that but they made her too stupid by the end. that's how it feels like to me anyways and as a performer i'd have love to have seen her do more with it than she did. her character development to me feels like at some point to stop. one that does have a lot was the character David he was such an evil little kid at the start of the show and on how much he changed by the end is incredible and Roger's another one that really grew into a likable guy as well

ChrisSumner

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Forgive me if this has been mentioned, but did yall ever read about the Dark Shadows reboot that's being shopped? It sounds much better than I thought and I'm glad he was able to restore it to his original vision now that it won't be on the CW any longer. I didn't realize they had hired such a successful writer to pen it. Between his credits (particularly Party of Five, Pasadena, Brothers and Sisters) and the fact that he's a fan, I think it would be worthwhile. Hopefully they find the right network for it.

Here's the link: https://bloody-disgusting.com/exclu...uel-series-may-still-come-life-phantom-limbs/

As the reworked version of the show is still a viable property, Mr. Perry is understandably wary of detailing much of Reincarnation’s story. Nevertheless, he does provide some tantalizing bits about its setup. “The protagonist is a young woman in her twenties. In the very first minute of the pilot, she discovers that the woman that she thought was her aunt was really her biological mother, and that her biological mother was a bloodline Collins.

“This young woman finds out the life-changing news that she is a bloodline relative of this wealthy, mysterious family in Maine. Because her biological mother, who vanished three years ago, has now been declared legally dead, our protagonist has inherited half of the estate of Collinwood. And her mother…is Victoria Winters.”

This would be a wonderful pay off after the disastrous exit we got for Victoria in the original. I always wanted them to confirm she was Elizabeth's daughter and I like that she's only been missing for 3 years which implies she got out of the time travel hell she was left in. Also by setting it in the present day we don't have to go through another repeat of the Barnabas story, which we already saw repeated on the 90s show and also the horrible Tim Burton movie.

Hopefully if this does happen they get on it. Those actors are getting up there in age and it would be nice to see some of them back in these roles after so long.