Did Catherine Oxenberg.....

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The darker CO's hair got on the show, the more you could tell that she was being phased out.

Though never the best actress, she also began delivering her lines flat and rote.

I don't think she was being phased out - she has a decent part in the original season 7 bible, but I guess she could've been killed off in the original season 7 cliffhanger.

TJames03

Banned
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Watch closer. Yes, there was something "different" about the way they filmed the actress and the character in latter #06.....

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Just because they said she said it doesn't mean she said it.

I agree. She must have gone about it a stupid way, but I have seen from other interviews that part of the story is bogus--Spelling wanted her to not announce she was leaving the show because she didn't get the raise just so he could plant his "Oxenberg fired" story on Variety
Let's not forget--this is the same Spelling (and Douglas S Cramer) who would rather fire Al Corley because he voiced displeasure at his character's straightening out rather than talk to him. The same team that went to all the trouble to find the best actors for each role then had no qualms about dropping them like yesterday's garbage.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
Did Catherine Oxenberg...

...really look as bad in this outfit as fashion experts claim in a magazine?

CatOx.JPG

Lankershim Blasdel 1

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Enchanted April
Let's not forget--this is the same Spelling (and Douglas S Cramer) who would rather fire Al Corley because he voiced displeasure at his character's straightening out rather than talk to him.
I thought Al Corley wanted out, his departure so early in the series makes no sense.
Were they planning on more hetero storylines for Steven in season 3 and Al wasn’t interested in staying?
I think the only reason Pamela Bellwood was brought back was to straighten out Steven once again and as much as I loved her character it would have been so much better if they played Steven and Chris Degan as lovers which was why Blake went for custody of his grandson. Those scenes where Steven Claudia and Chris were all having dinner together were really dumb and even dumber was the convenient marriage to save Danny turning into a real relationship which made Chris completely pointless from the start.
Al Corley’s departure hurt season 3 and beyond.
Catherine’s departure in my opinion did nothing either way, her character served its purpose and as perfectly casted as Amanda was she was one child too many and she was only invented to replace Pamela Sue. I’m not sure Adam was invented to fill the son role because Al was leaving or he would have arrived even if Al stayed on.
It could also be said that Adam was filling Cecil Colby’s role as well.
If Al had stayed he would have had to wait 2 more years to play gay again which probably wouldn’t have set well with him but I’m sure his departure plus the de clawing of her character set Pamela Sue to want to split.
Al and Pamela Sue being gone really did hurt the show and it never was as good but to me if they just killed off Amanda in the fire instead of that stupid no thought recast season 7 wouldn’t have been so horrible
Oh Amanda went back to London to be with cousin Rosalind, let’s leave her alone forever.
How could they even write that crap after not even trying to get that unknown girl to speak her lines with a British accent, were they too cheap to hire a voice coach, for her and Emma or they just didn’t give a F?
what a lame excuse, were they really too afraid to kill off her character hoping to bring Catherine back?? But she never came back and how it all went down why would they ask her after her strong arming tactics that Joan used the year prior backfiring or why would she agree to return after a public humiliation of being fired to come back to a soap in free fall

Last edited:

GillesDenver

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In the bible of season 3, Steven and Chris Degan were lovers. It seemed that the heads of ABC did not object when the read the bible but eventually changed their mind later.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In the bible of season 3, Steven and Chris Degan were lovers. It seemed that the heads of ABC did not object when the read the bible but eventually changed their mind later.

I always figured something like that. I would have, a few seasons later, slipped in the revelation -- delivered off-hand -- that Steven#2 either lied about the monogamous nature of his relationship with Deegan, or that the relationship simply changed, as seeing Grant Goodeve wandering around their apartment without his legal briefs eventually stirred something deep inside him.

Perhaps this could come out when Deegan returns for a tragic AIDS storyline in my alternative Season 8, making everybody nervous. The family thinking Steven (whether it's #1 or #2 at that point in the show) might himself be H.I.V. positive, leading homophobic Blake to become more sympathetic while Alexis emotionally shuts down...

Because, y'know , layers and shit.

Last edited:

Lankershim Blasdel 1

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Enchanted April
The network must have really been against any gay storyline in season 3, I feel like the Dynasty producers were so vindictive to its cast that they would have really been on board for Jack to have a gay relationship in his debut season just to spite Al Corley but couldn’t
Without his sexuality Steven 1 or 2 was pretty pointless to have around, just look at season 4 after the custody trial.
I still believe he should have went to work with his sister at La Mirage instead of heading to Colby Co, it was very against his character to work for any oil company and he ended up just another suit in a tiny office set until Luke showed up
Steven 1 ended up leaving telling his family he was gay and Sammy Jo was just to please his father, when Steven 2 returns he’s bunk mates with a man, returns to try to get back with his mistake - Sammy Jo, then a man enters his life Who’s successful and good looking and opens up that he’s gay, Steven moves him into his apt only looking for friendship. What a cop out. They should have shot a scene where they kissed, of course it would have never been shown but just to freak the f out of Jack Coleman’s tight ass.
How they got away with Luke is a mystery a couple seasons later but of course he had to die when it should have been Claudia who was long past her expiration date as was Dex and the royals.

Last edited:

Lankershim Blasdel 1

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Enchanted April
Perhaps this could come out when Deegan returns for a tragic AIDS storyline in my alternative Season 8,
They couldn’t even handle having a black actress and character and never ever discussed race or had any story line that this rich woman was a successful person of color and Blake was a racist pos that only hired white people in his company and that’s why he would not accept that he could possibly have a black sister.
Forget about any real story about HIV, it would never have happened.but even the Golden Girls and I think that other sitcom about the 60’s did storylines about it. God forbid a “serious “ drama like Dynadty had the balls to.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The network must have really been against any gay storyline in season 3, I feel like the Dynasty producers were so vindictive to its cast that they would have really been on board for Jack to have a gay relationship in his debut season just to spite Al Corley but couldn’t
Without his sexuality Steven 1 or 2 was pretty pointless to have around, just look at season 4 after the custody trial.
I still believe he should have went to work with his sister at La Mirage instead of heading to Colby Co, it was very against his character to work for any oil company and he ended up just another suit in a tiny office set until Luke showed up
Steven 1 ended up leaving telling his family he was gay and Sammy Jo was just to please his father, when Steven 2 returns he’s bunk mates with a man, returns to try to get back with his mistake - Sammy Jo, then a man enters his life Who’s successful and good looking and opens up that he’s gay, Steven moves him into his apt only looking for friendship. What a cop out. They should have shot a scene where they kissed, of course it would have never been shown but just to freak the f out of Jack Coleman’s tight ass.
How they got away with Luke is a mystery a couple seasons later but of course he had to die when it should have been Claudia who was long past her expiration date as was Dex and the royals.

Steven was supposed to have a consummated relationship with Bart Fallmont, but ABC nixed it.

The way these network executives thought and worked was just so ridiculously and disingenuously prim -- and selectively so. They didn't want Steven to be gay, told the producers to "cure" him, and yet asked the producers to 'show more tongue' during kisses between the straight characters. (That comes from Esther Shapiro herself -- and when has she ever lied about anything?)

It's amazing that Luke Fuller got all up in there at all.

Part of the problem was the producers themselves. Aaron Spelling, a man of seething masculinity, was uncomfortable with it (a producer who liked to offer titillation as an audience lure, and then not deliver), the Pollocks obviously had no interest in it (or anything else), and the Shapiros were never committed to much of anything after the show really got underway... So they didn't really fight for the gay stuff beyond a half-hearted 'but-the-gay-libbers-will-kill-us' argument against turning Steven 100% straight.

Even in the '80s, this was not a step forward. No matter what anybody says.

They couldn’t even handle having a black actress and character and never ever discussed race or had any story line that this rich woman was a successful person of color and Blake was a racist pos that only hired white people in his company and that’s why he would not accept that he could possibly have a black sister.

That was Diahann Carroll's suggestion. I can understand her reasoning, but it wrote her into a corner almost immediately, because the show couldn't acknowledge why Blake was so reluctant for so long to accept Dominique as his sister, while Amanda just pranced her pasty ass into his living room and her welcomed her with open arms on the spot.

Last edited: