Did Chase Deserve Any of Falcon Crest?

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Jason left his share of Falcon Crest to his son Chase. I suppose parents are expected to make their children their inheritors but did Chase really deserve to inherit Jason's estate? As I remember, Chase didn't make any effort to see his father. When he returned to Falcon Crest to go to Jason's funeral, he said something to Lance like he hadn't seen him since he was six. Julia also made comments about not having seen her cousin in ages. Maggie was also surprised to see the size of and magnificence of Falcon Crest so you get the impression that she had never been there before.

What kind of son never visits his father in over 20 years, never takes his family to his parents' home? Not one who has a close relationship with his father. We are told that Jason and Emma were very close so wouldn't Emma have been a better person for Jason to leave his estate too?

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Chase wrote his father, but his father didn't write back. Grown children have a right to live their lives, even if it's different than their parents' choices.

Angela's father included in his will the stipulation that half of FC would go to Jason's children if either sibling died under mysterious circumstances for a reason: he saw corruption in his own daughter.

Richard Denault

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
Jason left his share of Falcon Crest to his son Chase. I suppose parents are expected to make their children their inheritors but did Chase really deserve to inherit Jason's estate? As I remember, Chase didn't make any effort to see his father. When he returned to Falcon Crest to go to Jason's funeral, he said something to Lance like he hadn't seen him since he was six. Julia also made comments about not having seen her cousin in ages. Maggie was also surprised to see the size of and magnificence of Falcon Crest so you get the impression that she had never been there before.

What kind of son never visits his father in over 20 years, never takes his family to his parents' home? Not one who has a close relationship with his father. We are told that Jason and Emma were very close so wouldn't Emma have been a better person for Jason to leave his estate too?
Emma in the first season was very fickle and unstable.
She was also Angela's daughter.
More logical that she inherited her son

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Chase wrote his father, but his father didn't write back. Grown children have a right to live their lives, even if it's different than their parents' choices.
Which suggests there wasn't a warm and mutually affectionate relationship between them. I would have thought that in 20 years Chase could have found the time to visit his dad or even to phone him.

Emma in the first season was very fickle and unstable.
She was also Angela's daughter.
More logical that she inherited her son
I agree Chase was the obvious person to inherit Jason's estate but did Chase really deserve it?

C Rose

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Flash Gordon
The series revolves around undercutting relatives so whatever differences Jason had with Chase were minor compared to Angela. Overall did Chase deserve the vineyards? No

Chase’s inheritance sets up the central conflict for most of the series. A logical decision to leave the estate to Emma would have ultimately left the vineyards open for Angela’s control. Soap operas need conflict to thrive :)

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
The series revolves around undercutting relatives so whatever differences Jason had with Chase were minor compared to Angela. Overall did Chase deserve the vineyards? No

Chase’s inheritance sets up the central conflict for most of the series. A logical decision to leave the estate to Emma would have ultimately left the vineyards open for Angela’s control. Soap operas need conflict to thrive :)
I agree with this. Yes, of course a father would leave his estate to his son but I question whether Chase deserved it. Chase was more interested in flying planes than he was spending time with his father or even his children. You get the impression that Chase never even took Maggie to meet her father-in-law because she never went to Falcon Crest until the time of Jason's funeral. We never got to know the full story of the relationship between Chase and Jason but you get the impression that Chase made no effort to see him for 20 years.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
but I question whether Chase deserved it
Was there someone who deserved it more? Someone who, say, doesn't exploit the field workers and ruins other businesses and families by keeping the water supply all to his/herself, someone who doesn't puppeteer his/her family by dangling that precious inheritance in front of his/her family members, someone who doesn't pretend to be disappointed by his/her brother's failures even though he/she never wanted that brother to succeed in the first place?

I can also see Chase's decision to keep his inheritance - because that was the real problem - as a retroactive way of bonding with his father. An homage to the man he's never really known. Family and tradition and dedication. It should have been welcomed and even applauded.

auhin4

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Willow
Of course he deserved part. He was Jason's only heir. Chase was a great vinedresser and really turned it around.

Chase and Maggie 4ever

Richard Denault

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
Which suggests there wasn't a warm and mutually affectionate relationship between them. I would have thought that in 20 years Chase could have found the time to visit his dad or even to phone him.

I agree Chase was the obvious person to inherit Jason's estate but did Chase really deserve it?
And did Lance deserve it?
Not even in 9 years was he able to give Angela a great-grandson.
He did not know that Pilar had had a daughter of his

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
And did Lance deserve it?
Not even in 9 years was he able to give Angela a great-grandson.
He did not know that Pilar had had a daughter of his
Lance had his flaws but he earned his right to inherit Falcon Crest. He worked with Angela, he was trained by her, he did jobs for her to ensure Falcon Crest's success, he understood the business and he lived at Falcon Crest all his life so yes, I think he deserved it.

Chase on the other hand, was flying aeroplane and living in New York and never even visited the Tuscany Valley in 20 years.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Was there someone who deserved it more? Someone who, say, doesn't exploit the field workers and ruins other businesses and families by keeping the water supply all to his/herself, someone who doesn't puppeteer his/her family by dangling that precious inheritance in front of his/her family members, someone who doesn't pretend to be disappointed by his/her brother's failures even though he/she never wanted that brother to succeed in the first place?

I can also see Chase's decision to keep his inheritance - because that was the real problem - as a retroactive way of bonding with his father. An homage to the man he's never really known. Family and tradition and dedication. It should have been welcomed and even applauded.
Angela was never in the frame to inherit Jason's land but we were told how close Emma was to Jason so a devoted niece might have been a better inheritor than an estranged son. Jason could have appointed a guardian to manage the estate for her, look after her interests and prevent Angela from taking advantage of her inheritance.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Whether he deserved it or not he got it and the storyline would not have been as interesting if Chase had not been around. I do appreciate your opinion though @Angela Channing.
Absolutely! Had Jason's land gone to someone else it wouldn't have set up the very basis of Falcon Crest which was the conflict between Chase and Angela and their immediate families and that would have been to the detriment of the show.

Jock Og

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well from a business point of view and the usual tradition of a son/daughter acquiring their parent's(s) property / money possession then Chase could be the only beneficiary. His estrangement from the wine producing valley and Jason's life makes it a debate of deserving the inheritance or not, from a personal point of view. I understand where you are coming from @Angela Channing because such a scenario can cause resentment with the deceased's brother / sister and other members of the extended family, if indeed they have strong feelings.

Jason depended a lot on Gus Nunouz in Chase's absence and maybe his assumption would ring true that he in the event of his death Gus would be around, to help Chase farm the mere 50 acres of vineyards. However the tape recording Angela had of Jason talking to Gus gives us a snapshot insight, into Mr.Gioberti's thoughts on his son. At the start while drunk Jason commented to the effect: "Who the hell needs Chase Gioberti?" Then towards the end of the recording: "I love my son. I need him. A man should have a son to fish with, drink with etc. etc."

Of course Chase acquiring the small holding of vineyards and the Gioberti castle was just the start of a saga, lasting six seasons for him. Jason's bequeathment helped in part for the former New York airline pilot to eventually go into business with aunt Angela, then brother/later cousin Richard, neighbour Connie Giannini and finally Julia's ex husband Tony Cumson. So Chase worked his way up after the will was revoked (the will Angela didn't want overturned) and despite the backstory imho deserved his rightful position in Falcon Crest, even though Mrs. Channing built the business to the powerhouse it was in the eighties.

Chase arrives at the Falcon Crest mansion, to have a rather frank conversation with his aunt Angela in her study, (a scene from season 2, 1982 - '83):

Chase: "Surely I don't need to remind you that we share Falcon Crest 50 50?"

Angela: "Please Chase I have enough to worry about with 'The Globe'."

Chase: "'The Globe'. Why don't you just deal with Richard Channing the way you deal with me? Brush him off. Ignore the issues."

Angela: "Are you prepared for an operation as sophisticated as I have here?"

Chase: "I have been very generous with you. I am rightful heir to all of Falcon Crest but I agreed with you half shares; equal profits, equal liabilities."

Angela: "I disagree!"

Chase: "I wouldn't."

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
However the tape recording Angela had of Jason talking to Gus gives us a snapshot insight, into Mr.Gioberti's thoughts on his son. At the start while drunk Jason commented to the effect: "Who the hell needs Chase Gioberti?" Then towards the end of the recording: "I love my son. I need him. A man should have a son to fish with, drink with etc. etc."
The tape recording that Angela conveniently had in her drawer was revealing. It showed that Jason still loved his son but was disappointed and angry that Chase hadn't bothered to make any effort to see him in many years. However, when Jason's inheritance become available, Chase can't wait to get on a plane to California to get his hands on his father's vineyards. If only he showed the same urgency to see his father when he was alive Chase would have been more deserving of his inheritance.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If only he showed the same urgency to see his father when he was alive Chase would have been more deserving of his inheritance
And look how things worked out for the family members who were "dutifully" living with Angela on Falcon Crest. It's not that it brought them an awful lot of happiness.
Chase on the other hand, was flying aeroplane and living in New York
Well, it wasn't just a hobby or anything. He was also providing for his family.
Lance had his flaws but he earned his right to inherit Falcon Crest.
And yet I've lost count how many times he was written out and in of Angela's will. As for Lance himself, it takes more than being familiar with the wine industry to become a worthy successor to the Falcon Crest throne.
Sure, Chase had to learn everything from scratch, but he had the right attitude for it and his enthusiasm often surpassed that of the Channings since they were too busy trying to out-scheme eachother.
Julia was living with her mother but as it turned out Angela hadn't put much effort into raising her. Therefore, the argument of Jason and Chase's estranged relationship (perhaps with a little help of Mama Cartel) and why that should be the deciding factor whether or not he deserved his inheritance seems a little half-baked and hypocritical.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
And look how things worked out for the family members who were "dutifully" living with Angela on Falcon Crest. It's not that it brought them an awful lot of happiness.
If living near to Angela in the Tuscany Valley was so terrible, why didn't Chase have his father live with him in New York? Chase made little attempt build a closer relationship with his father which was why Jason was so disappointed in him.

Well, it wasn't just a hobby or anything. He was also providing for his family.
But New York isn't the other side of the world, it's not even a different country. I'm sure Chase could even had gotten discounted flights with the airline he worked for but never once in 20 years did he visit his father.

And yet I've lost count how many times he was written out and in of Angela's will. As for Lance himself, it takes more than being familiar with the wine industry to become a worthy successor to the Falcon Crest throne.
Sure, Chase had to learn everything from scratch, but he had the right attitude for it and his enthusiasm often surpassed that of the Channings since they were too busy trying to out-scheme eachother.
Julia was living with her mother but as it turned out Angela hadn't put much effort into raising her. Therefore, the argument of Jason and Chase's estranged relationship (perhaps with a little help of Mama Cartel) and why that should be the deciding factor whether or not he deserved his inheritance seems a little half-baked and hypocritical.
I think the fact that Julia and Lance happy to live at Falcon Crest with Angela showed that their relationship with her was stronger than Chase's relationship with his father. As Jason himself said "I don't have a son... he left me... he's a man now and he hasn't come back, damn him. Who the hell needs Chase Gioberti?" It sounded very much like Jason wasn't sure Chase deserved to inherit his estate.

Angela should have made Julia her heir but she didn't show the necessary strength of character to demonstrate that she could step into her mother's shoes. Lance continually had to show he was a worthy successor. Whether he would have made a successful head of Falcon Crest is unknown but he was prepared for the role and ready to take over.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
why didn't Chase have his father live with him in New York? Chase made little attempt build a closer relationship with his father which was why Jason was so disappointed in him.
But New York isn't the other side of the world, it's not even a different country. I'm sure Chase could even had gotten discounted flights with the airline he worked for but never once in 20 years did he visit his father.
You keep bringing this up but I'm not sure how important it is in the grand scheme of things. Angela didn't want to share Falcon Crest with anyone else regardless of how deserving that other person was.
Angela's father included in his will the stipulation that half of FC would go to Jason's children if either sibling died under mysterious circumstances
1631989758976.png

Do you realize what you've DONE?
On the surface, it looks like concern for Emma and the tragedy of it all. But I think she's saying something else because she immediately understood the possible consequences of the situation.
The premise of THE COLBYS is very similar to Falcon Crest's first season. There are different actions by different characters for different reasons and then it all comes together in one big drama. I didn't agree with Jeff's nemesis auntie Sable but I could understand her frustration.
And for that same reason I could also understand Angela's frustration that she would lose Jason's part of Falcon Crest because of an accident caused by her own daughter. Even more so because it probably wouldn't take very long before Jason would drink himself to death.

I think the fact that Julia and Lance happy to live at Falcon Crest with Angela showed that their relationship with her was stronger than Chase's relationship with his father
Julia: Someday...somehow, I'll find the strength to leave here.
There was definitely something strong going on, but happiness had nothing to do with it.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Chase deserved all of Falcon Crest as per his grandfather's will. and he gave Angela half out of a sense of fairness, and then to get baby Joseph back.

Plus, Chase helped the Mexican workers when Angela ran roughshod over them.

So, yes, Chase should have owned FC.