Did you ever wonder why Sue Ellen got stuck driving a station wagon while everyone else ...

Snarky Oracle

Telly Talk Oracle
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
And they made her drink off-label bar vodka to boot. Just to degrade her.

Michelle Stevens

'The Lovely Michelle'
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A Mercury Colony Park wagon was as close to a Lincoln station wagon as one could get in 1978. I don't think the writers early in the series gave much thought in assigning a car to her as they did many of the other characters. I took it as the station wagons, Ewing 2, were Southfork cars that Sue Ellen just drove, not her personal vehicle. It wasn't until a few season in that she got a Mercedes.

BTW, welcome to Telly Talk @TheDeadBobby .

Last edited:

Hell O'Drama

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I took it as the station wagons, Ewing 2, were Southfork cars that Sue Ellen just drove, not her personal vehicle. It wasn't until a few season in that she got a Mercedes.

Yes. Miss Ellie didn't seem to drive early in the series and Sue Ellen frequently drove Ellie around. I've assumed the several Mercury Marquis Colony Parks and the Ford Country Squire were Ellie's choice of vehicle and Sue Ellen got it by default. They seem to fit Ellie's character more than Sue Ellen's (and more than the VW Golf/Rabbit Ellie drove in later seasons).

TheDeadBobby

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Groundhog Day
The other thing that's been bugging me is; how is it that everyone who pulls into that drive way squeals the tires even though they are only going about 3 mph? Are they all in that big of a hurry?

Oh yeah, and then the Gary thing, he shows up again in season two and obviously had some heavy cosmetic surgery and died his hair blond but nobody said a thing about it! Isn't that weird? .... and then the imposter that showed up in Digger's place.

I bought the box set and am getting really confused.

This show makes me want to drink. :crazyme:

Last edited:

Ghoul-zzler Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
as others said above, it's reasonable to assume Miss Ellie had 'Ewing 2' station wagons going back to when JR and Gary and Bobby were kids, and Sue Ellen kind of inherited the mantle at some point. I don't think there were really high-end luxurious cars of that sort in those days, but in more modern times I'm guessing Ewing 2 would have been a top of the line giant SUV like an Escalade or Lincoln Navigator

Jack O'Lantern Jimmy

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If Dallas had premiered a few years later, Sue Ellen definitely would have been driving a fancier and flashier car. However, it was the late 1970s, so it kind of fit the times, at least television wise, if not the character.
Of course, maybe it was some passive aggressive thing on Sue Ellen’s part. She wants to embarrass JR because he won't give her a son. It's her way of saying to the world, "Look how the rich guy treats his wife. He won't even buy her a decent car, let alone give her a baby."